Official Blue Jays Discussion thread

Comments

• They way overpaid. He essentially doubled his pay from 2016.
  • There were virtually no lefthanders available this season and now we are stuck with Loup. :(
  • They are looking at Jerry Blevins now.
  • hqdefault.jpg?custom=true&w=196&h=110&stc=true&jpg444=true&jpgq=90&sp=68&sigh=4Cg96nmC4F2On3keyGGyFZ9TWJw

Never heard of im
  • You mean, welcome to the Blue Jays Jay Bruce.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    And the door closes more on Edwin ....

Steve Pearce signs 2-year deal with Blue Jays | MLB.com

Barf! 34 year old oft injured guys that have only played more than 100 games in a season once don't excite me even if they only cost 12.5 million for 2 years. Come on Jays stop with these marginal blah signings and do something!
  • That's ok, they still have Smoak. ;)
  • Hopefully, they're creating enough room in the budget for a Dexter Fowler signing.
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    Hopefully, they're creating enough room in the budget for a Dexter Fowler signing.

Dexter Fowler is a must sign in my books considering the Red Sox just traded for Chris Sale.
  • Well, they are in negotiations apparently. Word is Jays offered him $60 mil for 4 yrs but he wants $72 mil. Gotta be some middle ground there somewhere.
  • ...or not. Well that's disappointing.

Hopefully we have a decent Plan B that doesn't include Saunders.
  • Looks like Plan B for OF FAs is Brandon Moss, Saunders, Revere, or Melky or the BBB of B's plan where B stands for BARF!

Time to look for the trade possibilities to get Bruce or Votto or someone. I would love it if they could get Blackmon from the Rockies but Colorado already turned down a straight up Stroman trade supposedly.
  • Looks like Plan B for OF FAs is Brandon Moss, Saunders, Revere, or Melky or the BBB of B's plan where B stands for BARF!

Time to look for the trade possibilities to get Bruce or Votto or someone. I would love it if they could get Blackmon from the Rockies but Colorado already turned down a straight up Stroman trade supposedly.
    I heard it was the jays that turned down the 1 for 1 trade.
  • Yeah no way they are trading away a starter.
  • Edwin signs with Cleveland. Essentially the same offer from the jays.
  • lolToronto as always but with a bit of lolEdwin.
  • Sold down the river by his agent...
  • Rats! Bye Edwin! Thanks for the memories and have fun in Cleveland!

What a cluster fuck by all parties! As the Jays saved 50 million now I shall look forward to Rogers making a big trade and taking on salary so they don't have to give up too much!
  • IT will be interesting to see if Edwin turfs his agent in the near future. My understanding is the Jays offer was a straight 4-$80M while the Cleveland deal is 3-$60M with a club option to go an extra year for $20M. Potentially the same $$$, but definitely not as good a deal in terms of guaranteed pay-out, which is supposedly what EE was looking for.
  • Rogers is solely responsible. You draw the highest fan attendance in MLB last year, a fan favorite, AND A HUGE PIECE OF YOUR LINEUP. Im not a fan of ownership getting involved in day to day operations but this was the best time to prove to your fans Rogers cares about them.

If the Jays offer him 4@88 with player option after year 2 deal is done right away.

This is the beginning of 3rd/4th place finishes for years to come. Prepare for the departure of Donaldson next folks, hate to say it but this is the Toronto baseball reality.
  • Rogers is solely responsible. You draw the highest fan attendance in MLB last year, a fan favorite, AND A HUGE PIECE OF YOUR LINEUP. Im not a fan of ownership getting involved in day to day operations but this was the best time to prove to your fans Rogers cares about them.

If the Jays offer him 4@88 with player option after year 2 deal is done right away.

This is the beginning of 3rd/4th place finishes for years to come. Prepare for the departure of Donaldson next folks, hate to say it but this is the Toronto baseball reality.

Jays offered 4 at 80 million.

Agent; "we can get 5 years and 100 million."

Several weeks later …

EE I want to play anybody?

Agent’s wife, "the mortgage is due and it’s Christmas, get Edwin signed already, we need the commission.

Cleveland, "we will give you 3 years at 60 million with a club option for 20 million for the fourth year and a buy out for 5 million.

EE sheepishly says “I will take it. Now I have to move, should have got the moving costs in the deal.
  • Pretty much nailed it.

Blaming Rogers for judging the market correctly is not fair. Teams can not make players sign. Blame Edwin's greed and his agent.

No way Rogers would offer an opt out clause and give up on a draft pick.
  • How is this not spam in our Blue Jay thread?
  • The Blue Jays have agreed to a deal with free-agent outfielder Jose Bautista, according to reports from Baseball Prospectus Toronto (Twitter link) and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). It’s a one-year deal that includes at least one mutual option, and could reportedly extend to three total seasons in duration. Bautista will receive a guarantee that exceeds the $17.2MM qualifying offer value, per Jon Heyman of Fan Rag (via Twitter), assuming he passes his physical.
  • We lost Saunders yesterday and we keep the worst option out of everyone, But don't worry we are going to win with our pitching alone according to the Roger's brass.
  • Former Jays JP Arencibia and Josh Johnson announce they are retiring from baseball.

Johnson IMO was the most disappointing Jays trade ever as it looked so promising only to be wiped out by injury!
  • Really hope Saltalamacchia makes the team just to hear Buck try and pronounce it. :)
  • 3pm59nl108hy.jpg
    His jersey is a bargain just for the letters!