iPad 2 or Playbook

I'm thinking of getting one of these but not sure which one is worth it. I'm stuck on which one to get. The playbook has the use of flash (good for live streaming sports and stuff) and it plays Divx files. Where the iPad is light, has the apps, bigger screen but no flash or play divx files.

I plan to get the WiFi versions only with 32gb.

What do you guys think I should get?

Comments

• I just bought an ipad2 after waiting for the playbook to come out. The bigger screen really did it for me. Find the playbook screen way too small. Not sure if the Divx files can be converted to something that will play on the ipad? with mirroring, I'm pretty sure you can use flash on the ipad but only when at home which may defeat the whole purpose. I'm still waiting for it to arrive (takes about 2-3 weeks) so no true opinion at this point. I went with the 32gb and wifi version as well.
  • Been using the Playbook for about 2 weeks now, I like the smaller screen > the bigger screen in the iPad. I HAD an iPad for about a month when my friend was on vacation, and it was too much of a hassle for me to carrying it around in like a pocket or something.
  • Typing this on my playbook now. My iPad has been retired at just over a year of use. Lack of flash support in websites is a royal pain, still not sure why Jobs doesn't get it. Portability outweighs the screen size difference by far, u can slip it in my back pocket while I am talking to someone HDMI output and no need to convert my video content so it will play is also a big advantage. Helps that it connects to my blackberry to give me wan access on this wifi only device. Screen is nice, presentation mode with the docs to go slideshow to go also works great. With Angry Birds coming and Android apps coming, this is going to be an even more powerful little device.
  • isnork wrote: »
    Typing this on my playbook now. My iPad has been retired at just over a year of use. Lack of flash support in websites is a royal pain, still not sure why Jobs doesn't get it. Portability outweighs the screen size difference by far, u can slip it in my back pocket while I am talking to someone HDMI output and no need to convert my video content so it will play is also a big advantage. Helps that it connects to my blackberry to give me wan access on this wifi only device. Screen is nice, presentation mode with the docs to go slideshow to go also works great. With Angry Birds coming and Android apps coming, this is going to be an even more powerful little device.

How's the battery life for the Playbook?

I'm leaning more towards the Playbook.
  • sounds like I should buy some RIM...
  • I'm all for other people buying the first generation of a product and being the beta testers, paying top dollar and slitting their throats on the cutting edge of technology. Hail to the cool kids with the latest toys!
  • I've used the Playbook a bit at work and I really like the hardware and the multitasking OS but the lack of apps and the smaller size just don't work for me. I don't like browsing the web on such a small screen (screen area is about half of the iPad screen area).

I use the Puffin browser app on the iPad to view Flash sites when necessary. It's not perfect but works most of the time. I believe you can view DIVX video in a few ways:
    - convert to iPad format (this will be best for battery life)
    - download CineXPlayer or other video app that supports other file types
    - stream video from your computer via AirVideo (it converts on-the-fly)
  • I bought a Playbook. Its awesome. I love it!
  • Saw the Playbook in action last night. As a current Blackberry user and with my main usage being for work it is a no brainer.

I'm going out to get one this aft.
  • Got my ipad2 on tues. Can't say enough about it. Worth every penny!
  • I see Best Buy has the 16GB on sale this week at $199 ($300 off). Is it worth getting one for basic internet surfing or are there other tablets in this price range that offer more? Thinking about one as a Christmas gift.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I see Best Buy has the 16GB on sale this week at $199 ($300 off). Is it worth getting one for basic internet surfing or are there other tablets in this price range that offer more? Thinking about one as a Christmas gift.

$200 for ipad or playbook?
  • all models of playbook are $300 off. gl finding one.
  • Flash is dead . . . little Stevie dragged it into the grave with him.
  • My coworker is online buying playbooks for $199 at futureshop
  • Okay, so let me ask this . . . iPod touch 32g, or the Playbook 32g. Daughter wants to upgrade her iPod. Was looking at the Touch because bothe her and the wife already have the iPods. Playbook looks like it would "do" more, but if it is primarily going to be an MP3 player, would I be better off with the Touch?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Okay, so let me ask this . . . iPod touch 32g, or the Playbook 32g. Daughter wants to upgrade her iPod. Was looking at the Touch because bothe her and the wife already have the iPods. Playbook looks like it would "do" more, but if it is primarily going to be an MP3 player, would I be better off with the Touch?

Yes.
    Icedog wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting one of these but not sure which one is worth it. I'm stuck on which one to get. The playbook has the use of flash (good for live streaming sports and stuff) and it plays Divx files. Where the iPad is light, has the apps, bigger screen but no flash or play divx files.

I plan to get the WiFi versions only with 32gb.

What do you guys think I should get?
    Why is anyone considering the Playbook? I thought it was a piece of junk?

Why not wait and see what upgrades will be added to the next version of each device?
  • Because there is ALWAYS something being added to the "next" version, and Christmas is coming, silly . . .

wish I had the link to the SNL skit about the Apple doohickey that is obsolete 2 seconds after it's unveiled . . .
    Because there is ALWAYS something being added to the "next" version, and Christmas is coming, silly . . .

wish I had the link to the SNL skit about the Apple doohickey that is obsolete 2 seconds after it's unveiled . . .

Sorry Milo, I meant for the OP.

I'll fix my post.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »

Why is anyone considering the Playbook? I thought it was a piece of junk?

Why not wait and see what upgrades will be added to the next version of each device?

Unconfirmed. Sounds like an Apple fanboy.

If you have a Bberry to bridge to I would highly recommend the Playbook. I use mine for multiple work applications a day with all the all the added fun goodies I need.

If you are already an apple family, Playbook probably doesn't make sense. Especially if you need 745 fart sound apps or the like.

And the reason not to wait for the new technology is the fact that it will cost the extra $300 you can save now.

*Typed from my Playbook 32gb bridged through my Bberry 9800 while waiting in the parking lot for my daughter.....no wifi available.

• If you are already an apple family, Playbook probably doesn't make sense. Especially if you need 745 fart sound apps or the like.

745?!? Hell, I can only manage about 6 on my own . . . I may have to get one for ME.
  • Sounds like an Apple fanboy.

Guilty as charged :)
  • For $200 I couldn't resist and grabbed a playbook.
    Because there is ALWAYS something being added to the "next" version, and Christmas is coming, silly . . .

I could only think of Sony guts.
  • moose wrote: »
    For $200 I couldn't resist and grabbed a playbook.

I've had mine for a while and enjoy it. You can't go wrong for 2 bills.
  • shit I just saw this thread after making a new one about the playbook being sold on the RIM site, check it out
  • Get a Playbook. Hitler was disappointed in the iPad

Hitler's angry reaction to the iPad - YouTube

The real question is, can you play poker on either of these things......
  • My concern would be (if its like the ipad) that 16gb seems super small if there is no expandable or external memory (usb slots, sd slots, etc).
  • For all the Apple fans . . .

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="NextBigThing 60 Final - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>