Want your PC fixed for free?

Comments

• As Darb says connect it directly to see if that makes any difference. Is your laptop the only pc connected to the router? If not do others have the same issue? It may be interference with wireless phones, I have seen that before. The router should have a setting to change channels. maybe try that as well?

As for numbers from speedtest.net, it will depend on your provider and the package you have. I have Cogeco, the $50. package and get 12-15 MB download. Bell's DSL lite package gets around 3 so go from there. You will get only slightly less when connected wirelessly vs wired.
  • compuease wrote: »
    If not do others have the same issue?

or this ;)
    As Darb says connect it directly to see if that makes any difference. Is your laptop the only pc connected to the router? If not do others have the same issue? It may be interference with wireless phones, I have seen that before. The router should have a setting to change channels. maybe try that as well?

As for numbers from speedtest.net, it will depend on your provider and the package you have. I have Cogeco, the $50. package and get 12-15 MB download. Bell's DSL lite package gets around 3 so go from there. You will get only slightly less when connected wirelessly vs wired.

Laptop is the only machine connected to the wireless. I do have a desktop, but not connected wirelessly. I will start here. Failing this, I will investigate into changing channels on the router.

Is there a chance that I bought a router that is not "fast enough" to keep up with 4x tables + HUD + Tabel Ninja + 2x Explorer tabs, etc? Reason I ask is after hooking it all up I turned the box over and realized Linksys suggests their top of the line model for internet gaming. <--- Hope I don't sound like a complete 'tard here.... :)
  • reibs wrote: »
    Laptop is the only machine connected to the wireless. I do have a desktop, but not connected wirelessly. I will start here. Failing this, I will investigate into changing channels on the router.

Is there a chance that I bought a router that is not "fast enough" to keep up with 4x tables + HUD + Tabel Ninja + 2x Explorer tabs, etc? Reason I ask is after hooking it all up I turned the box over and realized Linksys suggests their top of the line model for internet gaming. <--- Hope I don't sound like a complete 'tard here.... :)

Definitely not a "tard" lol... The only diff a "gaming" router makes is that you can program it to give your game app priority over other internet requests. This would really only be helpful if other pc's connected to your router are hogging bandwidth. Are you running any other heavy duty downloading apps at the same time, ie downloading torrents?
    Any router today will provide way more throughput than most any ISP can deliver. Verify what your raw internet speed is from speedtest and make sure you are not running any heavy duty apps at the same time. Internet poker and Hud's, etc do not require much bandwidth by todays standards.
  • So, went to the (only) local computer store today to inquire about upgrading the ram on this thing. (Poker tracker 3 is likely going to bring my available ram down to 1.3GB with P* running.)

Lady told me she couldn't give me a price as they would have to look at the machine (of course, and they're generally slow enough it takes them about a week to get it back to you. That's not going to happen). I told her I currently have 4X512Mb DDR-SDRAM totaling 2Gb in 4 slots. I was sure I'd have to at least pull 2 of the 512Mb sticks out and replace both with 1Gb sticks, thus giving me 3Gb. Or pulling all 4 and replacing giving me 4Gb which should be way more than enough.

She said it could be anywhere from $24 to well over $200 for the 2Mb option. $200 doesn't sound like a cost effective option for such a relatively small improvement.

Pulled out the old mainboard manual (Soltek SL-K8TPro-939) which indicates it supports up to 4Gb unbuffered dual channel DDR400/333/266 SDRAM, with 4 DDR DIMM slots on board.

Very roughly Comp, what would you consider to be an effective method/cost of upgrading ram on this thing. I checked around and DDR ram availability appears to be thinning. Maybe I should just wait until I get a new machine?
  • So, went to the (only) local computer store today to inquire about upgrading the ram on this thing. (Poker tracker 3 is likely going to bring my available ram down to 1.3GB with P* running.)

Lady told me she couldn't give me a price as they would have to look at the machine (of course, and they're generally slow enough it takes them about a week to get it back to you. That's not going to happen). I told her I currently have 4X512Mb DDR-SDRAM totaling 2Gb in 4 slots. I was sure I'd have to at least pull 2 of the 512Mb sticks out and replace both with 1Gb sticks, thus giving me 3Gb. Or pulling all 4 and replacing giving me 4Gb which should be way more than enough.

She said it could be anywhere from $24 to well over $200 for the 2Mb option. $200 doesn't sound like a cost effective option for such a relatively small improvement.

Pulled out the old mainboard manual (Soltek SL-K8TPro-939) which indicates it supports up to 4Gb unbuffered dual channel DDR400/333/266 SDRAM, with 4 DDR DIMM slots on board.

Very roughly Comp, what would you consider to be an effective method/cost of upgrading ram on this thing. I checked around and DDR ram availability appears to be thinning. Maybe I should just wait until I get a new machine?

im running pokertraker3, table ninja, mozzila, adobe, poker stars, and powering two screens with an integrated video card on 1 gb or ram.....i don't think ram is the issue, my cpu speed is decent but its a fairly old laptop.....
  • Very roughly Comp, what would you consider to be an effective method/cost of upgrading ram on this thing. I checked around and DDR ram availability appears to be thinning. Maybe I should just wait until I get a new machine?

Issue you have is waste, no matter what you do some of your existing ram is redundant. Also a GB of DDR runs roughly $45-50. about twice the price of DDR2 or 3. Not sure why buts that the way it is. Probably availability is what is affecting the price somewhat. I hang onto it from old machines I scrap for that very reason.

What does it say is your available ram when you are running you normal apps?
    *** edit **
    nvm, I just read in you post that you have 1.3 available, doesn't appear ram is your issue..
  • Hmm. Well, I'll have to see eventually how this thing runs with the hud from PT3 and the P* client going. From what you guys have said RAM isn't the issue. I did think 1.3Gb sounded like alot to have leftover. I've just been hearing that PT3 is a hog.

I've never actually had any problems with the machine doing anything I've wanted it to. All I use it for is basically poker, email, surfing, etc. Nothing very hardware intensive.

I think I just wanted to rip something out of it and replace it like I used to be able to do in the old days. Haven't tech'd out in a while.

I think I'll probably just wait to upgrade anything on this thing until I buy a new one. Noticed the copywrite date on the main board manual is 2004! That's a long time for a pc.
  • I think I just wanted to rip something out of it and replace it like I used to be able to do in the old days. Haven't tech'd out in a while.

I think I'll probably just wait to upgrade anything on this thing until I buy a new one. Noticed the copywrite date on the main board manual is 2004! That's a long time for a pc.

ya cause you could get a new laptop or computer for 200 bux pretty much and they would crush your old one x 356987345
  • Please look at my laptop....anytime starting in the evening wed and beyond...just pm me if you are still taking on experiments....
  • What's quite interesting and funny here in this thread is that we all obviously play lots of poker..... and should be winning lots of money..... thus should be able to afford relatively new, speedy, non problematic machines.... and yet there are loads of people responding to this thread who have archaic beast pc's from the dark ages!!! Myself included of course.

The real question I guess is are we all cheap? Or do we suck at poker?

Sadly, I'm a member of both of the above clubs..
  • What's quite interesting and funny here in this thread is that we all obviously play lots of poker..... and should be winning lots of money..... thus should be able to afford relatively new, speedy, non problematic machines.... and yet there are loads of people responding to this thread who have archaic beast pc's from the dark ages!!! Myself included of course.

The real question I guess is are we all cheap? Or do we suck at poker?

Sadly, I'm a member of both of the above clubs..
    lol, methinks it's all the pron we surf to keep us from playing too many hands..
    lol, methinks it's all the pron we surf to keep us from playing too many hands..

I have no problem looking at pron and playing with my two hands. How the hell do you guys fap to pron??
    lol, getting lots of responses to this, maybe I'll have to hire an assistant....
    I will get to all of you this week, tonight may be difficult as I have my Monday night poker but if I'm out early (likely) we can fit 1 or 2 in. Anybody available during the day?
    I may be out tonight Comp. Not 100% sure yet. 8Pm and 20 right?
  • Sorry, I just got in from my league game so didn't have any time tonight. I can try some more tomorrow evening...
  • Anyone else want to give this a try tonight? I'm working with Prophet22 at the moment but should be done soon.

Tomorrow evening won't work for me as I am off to Buffalo to the Leaf game...
  • PM sent. Hope all the wrestling isn't screwing up the computer lol
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Hey Jeff

Pretty sure mine's running pretty well overall, but a tune up isn't bad if you want to take a crack!

Mark

thought you were talking about a wife first time i read this.
  • thought you were talking about a wife first time i read this.

lol, that's my charge for doing these tuneups... hehe
  • Jeff I appreciate you fixing my laptap last night. now can you fix my poker game!

Prophet :2h :2s
  • Jeff I appreciate you fixing my laptap last night. now can you fix my poker game!

Prophet :2h :2s
    No problem Brent, glad to help.. As for fixing your poker game, if I could only figure how to fix mine first I would be glad to share... Think I'll take up checkers... Maybe we could sit on our rockers on the front porch and relax...
  • Thurs jeff?

Sure, that should work. What time day or evening works best?
    Sure, that should work. What time day or evening works best?

If you have time, could you look at mine on Thursday also? Any time after 5:30pm works for me.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    If you have time, could you look at mine on Thursday also? Any time after 5:30pm works for me.

Absolutely Johnnie... Just pm me your number and a good time to call... Or how about right now?
    Absolutely Johnnie... Just pm me your number and a good time to call... Or how about right now?

PM on the way.

I wish. I'm at work, using my phone. Like I said anytime after 5:30pm.
  • Oh great and mighty compuease!

I was wondering if your expertise transcended just software issues, and included hardware. My setup has been giving me hell with seemingly random lockups, and I believe it's either faulty hardware or a bad bios setting. I tweaked it yesterday and it hasn't died yet, but I'm not counting my chickens just yet.

I know we couldn't really do anything remotely, but just being able to bounce some ideas off you would be great.

As for the discussion of old RAM on the previous page, the old stuff gets priced out because no one manufactures it anymore, so it's pretty scarce. There's more to it than just that, but that's pretty much the gist of it.

That said, any independent-type computer place will probably be willing to haggle with you. Back in the day, I was looking for EDO when DDR was the new thing. I went into the shop we dealt with and said listen, you're not going to find someone else willing to buy that ram from you in the next 6 months, just give it to me for the same price as the SDRAM and you can get it off your hands today. Some money is better than throwing out inventory.
  • My setup has been giving me hell with seemingly random lockups, and I believe it's either faulty hardware or a bad bios setting. I tweaked it yesterday and it hasn't died yet, but I'm not counting my chickens just yet.
    i would assume this is a software issue first of all,....

not likely a bios setting thats causing random crashes....

if its hardware its mostly like your fan, dirty, covered, or faulty.....

if it were hardware the best start is to re seat everything.....

laptop or desktop?

did you add hardware recently.....

is there a program that you open that always creates a crash....

are your ms updates current.....
  • comp I hired myself as your assistant lol...but i don't touch others computers ;)
  • darbday wrote: »
    i would assume this is a software issue first of all,....

not likely a bios setting thats causing random crashes....

if its hardware its mostly like your fan, dirty, covered, or faulty.....

if it were hardware the best start is to re seat everything.....

laptop or desktop?

did you add hardware recently.....

is there a program that you open that always creates a crash....

are your ms updates current.....

The only software on my computer is:
    -Windows
    -Logitech mouse shit
    -Catalyst Control Center
    -Google Chrome
    -Ventrilo
    -Starcraft 2
    That said, I had problems on the first try at windows install, same thing as is still happening.

Fans are clear. I don't mean, "yeah they look pretty good", processor is < 3 weeks old, and I clean full box monthly. It is clean.

Desktop.

All hardware is new(ish). Only old part is dvd drive.

I have crashed while playing Starcraft, while loading Starcraft, while staring at plaintext docs, while watching youtube vids, while downloading from IE, downloading from chrome, loading windows, even right after POST.

Updates are current.

The other day I found my ram was running UNDER the rated spec, so boosted the voltage and timings and it has since been more stable. I found that odd though, slower timings and less voltage making a system more flaky.

Heading to work now, will check back later. Thanks in advance for any replies, I'm not ignoring them!