Options

What do i do with the 4th wire?

Comments

• darbday wrote: »
    new fan doesn't have a light! can't be 3 way....3 way what?.....

one switch for fan one for light...bathroom has 2 switches....seems standard...

code will be close but its old wiring ...not mickey mouse though, its an apt building....

So Black to Black- White to White. Is there a 3rd wire in the ceiling were the old fan was?
    pics coming soon ;)

Okay.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    So Black to Black- White to White. Is there a 3rd wire in the ceiling were the old fan was?

yup and its the ground......and believe it or not there's a fourth wire..and i don't know what to do with it...:D
    yup and its the ground......and believe it or not there's a fourth wire..and i don't know what to do with it...:D

Would that wire be red by any chance?
  • What ever you do don't cut the blue wire. :D
    Would that wire be red by any chance?

nope still white, just like the 13 previous descriptions......

>:D
  • Are you making a maybe-how-to video of this too Yoda??>:D

You could name it "Forum Friends Fix-it Hour" ;)

~Shar
  • PM ItsaMe Mario and ask him. He is an electrician and would know. Also he is a good guy and would probably help you.
  • Or . . . you could just figure out which one of the white wires will work the fan, and cap the extra white wire. But, I am not an electrician.
  • Sharantyr wrote: »
    Are you making a maybe-how-to video of this too Yoda??>:D

You could name it "Forum Friends Fix-it Hour" ;)

~Shar

PFC Tool Time?
    This ole Poker Hut.
    New Yankee SUKOUT.......
  • apt002.jpg?t=1296690328

the old fan is gone, you can see the light socket....

there is a black wire, i assume is the hot or whatever....

there are 3 whites ones, but one has black x's and should be the ground...but you can't tell.....
  • Seriously I have no idea what that extra wire is as I am not there to see it.

Dead Wire? Was it hooked up to the old Fan also? Send some pics
  • Was the Fan in that hole also?

Ground should be fastened to the box. That 3rd white one could be a continuation to somewhere else too.
  • apt004.jpg?t=1296690678

here from other side you can see the socket.....and also a plug to the right of it.....like a 2 prong plug to plug the fan into....

1 white 1 black go to the plug in

1 white goes to the light

the ground looks like it goes to the light or inbetween the two.....thats all the info you get.... ;)
  • apt006.jpg?t=1296691218

two switches one control A DIFFERENT BATHROOM LIGHT the other turn both the fan and the fan light on......
  • I can't believe all the time wasted on this.

The ez answer is you treat it like a 9v battery. Just lick it to make sure there's juice.

The ez answer is you treat it like a 9v battery. Just lick it to make sure there's juice.

That would make your hair and toes curl lol
  • Can you take that damn light socket out of there and see wtf that 3rd wire is doing inside.
  • Just lick it to make sure there's juice.
    see op
    Can you take that damn light socket out of there and see wtf that 3rd wire is doing inside.

ehmm.....ugh...:confused:.....ahem.....:-\.....uh........

wtf is the 3rd wire lol......
  • :confused:
    darbday wrote: »
    ehmm.....ugh...:confused:.....ahem.....:-\.....uh........

wtf is the 3rd wire lol......
    Either of the white. If 3 are going in and 1 comes out and goes elsewhere
    than you will connect the fan the same way.

Just not sure where the second white is coming from
  • Without knowing what was connected to what before you took it apart it's hard to say for sure but I would guess that the whites should be connected together on one side of the fan...... However it may also not be needed and you could cap it off. I would first cap it off and if everything works correctly then leave it that way.
  • Abbott and Costello would be proud of you guys.

CALL AN ELECTRICIAN!!
  • compuease wrote: »
    Without knowing what was connected to what before you took it apart ......

this thread is sofuckingawesome......no wires have been taken apart.....we know where they all go.....problem is new fan doesn't need one of them.....i do believe i could twist them and cap them....but im not so confident in anything after this thread....
  • I don't believe you... so it's a battery powered fan?
  • compuease wrote: »
    I don't believe you... so it's a battery powered fan?

no im pretty sure its electrical because it plugs into the outlet in that picture and the outlet has a hot and a neutral running to it......

just wondering what i do with the wire that runs to the light
  • Who the hells on first?

POTD????? HAHA I actually spit out my water while reading this. Nothing helpful to add though, sorry.
  • CompleXEH wrote: »
    Nothing helpful to add though, sorry.
    ffs