Options

What do i do with the 4th wire?

installing a new bathroom fan....old one had a light in it (all on same switch)....so theres two neutrals, 1 ground, 1 hot. what do i do with the 2nd neutral....lick it ??? ?

Comments

• Google doityourself.com Great website for answers to this kind of stuff.

I being a painter participate in the painting section, but have no clue about electrical stuff.

I being a painter participate in the painting section, but have no clue about electrical stuff.

i totally did just can't find on where the old fan had a light and the new one did.....

look at sir telling junior to use google!
  • darbday wrote: »
    installing a new bathroom fan....old one had a light in it (all on same switch)....so theres two neutrals, 1 ground, 1 hot. what do i do with the 2nd neutral....lick it ??? ?

Do you mean the new one doesn't have a light? Are you using a 3-way switch? Assuming they ARE both neutrals then they can both be connected together, however if you are not clear on that get an electrician... Your life may depend on it.. :)

Ditto on using Google, all the young folk do...
  • compuease wrote: »
    Do you mean the new one doesn't have a light? Are you using a 3-way switch? Assuming they ARE both neutrals then they can both be connected together, however if you are not clear on that get an electrician... Your life may depend on it.. :)

Ditto on using Google, all the young folk do...

ya man can't believe i didn't specify....well i can believe.....anyways new one doesn't have a light so i think i could put both the wire to the corresponding wire on the fan...which i think is what you meant....

damn 3 way switch....

logic time....ill find out.....

electrician....meh....meh meybe

anyways i won't touch it till its clear...my buddy does elec distribution so he know ever part exactly....which wires etc...

ok ok, i get it, thx i prob will start using that.....

and i wasn't being snooty actually think its peculiar getting answers from ....damn...how to put it.....was probably thought to never even embrace a computer....?
  • You're playing with live wires while a little under the influence? lol, I have no idea what you are trying to say..... Sadly we may be seeing the last posts from Darb, hope not but this doesn't sound good... ;)
  • nm misread op
  • moose wrote: »
    I assume you are supposed to attach one end to the frame. There should be a small green tinted screw somewhere on the frame for this. The other end connects to the ground wire of the power supply.
    i don't know if explained the picture correct...or if i just don't understand ya ;)
  • moose wrote: »
    nm misread op

qft.
    You're playing with live wires while a little under the influence? lol, I have no idea what you are trying to say..... Sadly we may be seeing the last posts from Darb, hope not but this doesn't sound good... ;)

Live wires? Why only an idiot would . . . ???

without first . . . :-\

never mind. :-X
  • Milo wrote: »
    Live wires? Why only an idiot would . . . ???

without first . . . :-\

never mind. :-X

they are not live .....where the 'rolls eyes' icon....

its just hooking up a fan....i figured all of you would have done this sometimes
    in the past......:confused:
  • Where is the extra neutral?

If it's in the fan tie them together with the line neutral. If it's in the line feeding the fan, then it may be a bit trickier.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Where is the extra neutral?

If it's in the fan tie them together with the line neutral. If it's in the line feeding the fan, then it may be a bit trickier.

ugh.....lol....i gotta get to that site bill said...but i think you can help hobbes.....

theres 4 wires coming from the house to the old fan/light.......but the new fan is not a fan/light....its just a fan....3 wires only in the instructions......
  • Does the wire going to the fan have 2 whites / Black / Bare or White/Red/Black/Bare?
    Do the wires going to the fan have 2 whites / Black / Bare or White/Red/Black/Bare?

i fyp not to be smart but to make sure we are on the same page.....

there are four wires

white
    white
    black
    ground....
    i fyp not to be smart but to make sure we are on the same page.....

there are four wires

white
    white
    black
    ground....

OK, that's what I meant.

Does one of the white wires have a black line (or some other marking on it?
    Does the power go to the switchbox 1st?
    -> if yes, does the feed to the switch only have the black/white/ground?
    OK, that's what I meant.

Does one of the white wires have a black line (or some other marking on it?
    Does the power go to the switchbox 1st?
    -> if yes, does the feed to the switch only have the black/white/ground?
    i haven't pulled the switch out...however....one of the whites terminates where the black does on the housing......the other whites goes up towards where the ground is....
  • Hobbes if you can figure out the correct connections from Darb's descriptions you are a much more intuitive person than I.
    :)
    Hobbes if you can figure out the correct connections from Darb's descriptions you are a much more intuitive person than I.

I'm getting a bit confused myself. Thought I had figured it out, but I don't think so.

Darb, go buy a fan with a light in it. Would be much easier and prob safer. Failing that hire an electrician.
    Hobbes if you can figure out the correct connections from Darb's descriptions you are a much more intuitive person than I.

4 wires only need three....thought was simple...however....

is it possible the 2nd neutral comes from the other switch that controls the main bathroom light....so you can turn the fan on but have both lights off......
  • Well... You see.... There are 2 types of people: those that see wires, electrical safety and fire prevention in terms of this or that and those that don't.

Hire a blammed electrician man. Nobody on here wants to see you posting something about smoke pouring out of your bathroom ceiling because we'll all think we know what it's about (huh, anyone smell skunk?) and it'll actually be your improperly installed fan.
    You're playing with live wires while a little under the influence? lol, I have no idea what you are trying to say..... Sadly we may be seeing the last posts from Darb, hope not but this doesn't sound good... ;)
    Uh HUH.??? Foolish people and how they :o themselves inside there homes.
    It only hurts for a couple of seconds Darb and since we now have circuit breakers the chance of assuming room temperature is by getting zapped in this situation slim. Breakers are designed to pop before enough current passes through you to do you in. Get an electrician since it is in the BATHROOM . :D
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Breakers are designed to pop before enough current passes through you to do you in.

Nope. GFCI breakers do that. Ordinary breakers are crap for that. Why do you think people get electrocuted in their homes.
    Why do you think people get electrocuted in their homes.

because their forum friends won't tell them where the wire goes.....:(

did mention im an 'underground miner'!!!

did mention im an 'underground miner'!!!
    I am just trying to figure out this here,
    New Fan is wired for 3 way or
    The old fan was on a 3way? 2 switches turn it on/off.
    Strange for the Crapper to have 2 switches unless it's bigger than most houses. lol

Wire should come into the GFI Plug. Then go to switches for lights and fan.
    Bathrooms are at the end of a circuit. Usually unless Mickey Mouse did the wiring. Not sure about BC's building code but should be close to Ontarios.
  • Fans don't need GFCI unless they or the switch are within 3' (iirc) of a water source.

advisable to do it anyways, but don't assume.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    I am just trying to figure out this here,
    New Fan is wired for 3 way or
    The old fan was on a 3way? 2 switches turn it on/off.
    Strange for the Crapper to have 2 switches unless it's bigger than most houses. lol

Wire should come into the GFI Plug. Then go to switches for lights and fan.
    Bathrooms are at the end of a circuit. Usually unless Mickey Mouse did the wiring. Not sure about BC's building code but should be close to Ontarios.

new fan doesn't have a light! can't be 3 way....3 way what?.....

one switch for fan one for light...bathroom has 2 switches....seems standard...

code will be close but its old wiring ...not mickey mouse though, its an apt building....

Ok, that was one of the funnier things I've seen today. Nicely done Darb.
    Fans don't need GFCI unless they or the switch are within 3' (iirc) of a water source.

advisable to do it anyways, but don't assume.

Actually Hobbes . Any outlet in a damp confined area such as the bathroom have to run through the GFI.

The fan in our place runs on a 3 way Red line runs from switch to fan to switch from main bath to ensuite. 1 switch

I have always run these this way when doing a reno.
  • pics coming soon ;)