RC IX Handicapping thread

Comments

• compuease wrote: »
    One thing I do want to point out. If we do something like this, either as team or individual betting I want to keep the $$$ small as I do not want a possibility of side betting influencing someones play in the Royal, ie throwing matches... lol.. ala NFL betting... Oh and winners may have to pee in a cup... :)

Off to the dentist shortly for an extraction so if I don't come back, I didn't make it.... I'm a wimp... :(

You still have teeth at your age? That's a fairly impressive feat...

I totally agree on keeping it reasonable for sidebet $, I don't want anybody letting me win MVP because they'd profit from it. One of the reasons I like the pool idea is that it has fixed prize money and nobody is trying to pay 1000:1 on a bet
  • We can try to keep the buyers silent. If they can keep their yappers closed. lol Give me a couple of days to figure out the best way to go about this.
  • Pinhead wrote: »
    You still have teeth at your age? That's a fairly impressive feat...
    That was the last one...
  • PM'ed all captains. If I missed anyone please forward to them.
    Info on how things are going to work. Any changes or anything else get back to me as soon as possible.
  • Few Things,

One i love how my team is listed at 12/1...good value on that money. Thank you for the underdog status.

as for calcutta, i am the captain of the fish and received no message

cant wait for the 13th

until we chat again.....
  • tenseven wrote: »
    Few Things,

One i love how my team is listed at 12/1...good value on that money. Thank you for the underdog status.

as for calcutta, i am the captain of the fish and received no message

cant wait for the 13th

until we chat again.....

OKAY. I will send it again.
    ANYONE else not get it. Please let me know. It took so long to write I ended up having to log back in.
  • Some questions to those interested:

1/ Would there be any max $$ on the purchase?

2/ Why not have a bidder/team be able to buy more than 1 team?

3/ How do we determine what order teams are sold?
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    OKAY. I will send it again.
    ANYONE else not get it. Please let me know. It took so long to write I ended up having to log back in.
    FYI

I forwarded it to Dr Tyore and tenseven yesterday morning.
  • Hey I got the PM

But I have no personal interest in this wager... I'm not sure what it is you want from me?

Mark
    Some questions to those interested:

1/ Would there be any max $$ on the purchase?

2/ Why not have a bidder/team be able to buy more than 1 team?

3/ How do we determine what order teams are sold?

Answers. 1. I don't believe we can put a maximum $$$ on a purchase.
    An individual or group could put a bid in on a team right off the start.
    Same with buying 2 or more teams would kill the action on the rest of the teams.
    teams will be auctioned in Half hour increments starting with the new team. then order of finish last year. Last 2 teams to be Auctioned off would be ROCKS then CHING HILL.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Hey I got the PM

But I have no personal interest in this wager... I'm not sure what it is you want from me?

Mark
    FEEDBACK.. Any extra Ideas that would help make this run great, BE A LOT OF FUN AND FAIR TO EVERYONE. Not hollering at you btw.
  • What about each of the captains or a representative of that team do a rating similar to what Brent and I did? That way we would have something to base our selections on AND it would likely create some discussion and hype.

ie how do you think the teams are likely to finish?
    What about each of the captains or a representative of that team do a rating similar to what Brent and I did? That way we would have something to base our selections on AND it would likely create some discussion and hype.

ie how do you think the teams are likely to finish?
    That would be fine. We sill have 3 weeks and a couple of days before the auction happens so lots of time to iron out any bugs.
  • I don't know nearly enough to really help out on this one.

Truth be told, I don't like the whole handicapping thing at all - I'm kinda surprised it hasn't blown up into a drama fest.

Mark
  • Mark, You don't have to be involved. Nobody is going to twist anyone elses arm either.
    It will be 2 weeks before anything happens if this is a go.
    Right now I am looking for feedback and suggestions from ALL OF THE CAPTAINS and PLAYERS. This is why I asked the captains to forward my message to all of the players.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion and has a say. Right now that is all I am looking for.:)
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I don't know nearly enough to really help out on this one.

Truth be told, I don't like the whole handicapping thing at all - I'm kinda surprised it hasn't blown up into a drama fest.

Mark

Didn't like Brent's or my prognostications? It's all in good fun. :) Why not give us your opinion ratings with reasons? Make the Rock #8 please. I can show it to my team members and use it as incentive.
  • Hmm... non-verbals are important.

I'm not really interested in it at all. And by that I mean I have no emotional response to it, and only a passing curiosity as to who's ego's are bruised the most. I only posted in this thread because I got a PM with the outline and saying "Please respond in this thread".

Bottom line, I just want to get to the event, and am not really going to put any effort into this particular side bet.

Mark
  • Recieved a PM from Darren. He is going to pass the info on to his team and sounds like He is interested in Participating.
  • Yeah, we've got a few who are interested, though I would say it's not overwhelming interest. If others are interested we'd be up for it.

-Darren
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Recieved a PM from Darren. He is going to pass the info on to his team and sounds like He is interested in Participating.

I don't think this is going to fly. How about if we shelve it until RCX and see if we can come up with something that gets more than a lukewarm response?
    I don't think this is going to fly. How about if we shelve it until RCX and see if we can come up with something that gets more than a lukewarm response?

Allright. Not getting anything from any of the other Captains anyway.
  • Good bookie doesn't tell you why the line is the way it is, that is up to the better to see if the line is wrong and then make the bet.

Prophet 22

I will take me at 75-1......
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    I will take me at 75-1......

You will have your opportunity Joe. Stay tuned, g2 and I are working on a betting competition based on my original idea. g2 is doing the tracking spreadsheet. It will be totally optional and based on my team odds and Prophets individual odds and will cost a total of $5. per entry. We don't need to get together ahead of time, just have to place your bets before shuffle up and deal.
  • Ok with only 1 week to go I’m using my absolute power as host to reinstitute another totally voluntary low stake $5. per entry gambling stake using Prophets individual odds and my team odds as posted in the beginning of this thread. This is pretty simple and does not depend on entrants getting together at any particular time. Entries can be made right up until shuffle up and deal. I will even take IOU’s from those I know personally.

The Rules:

1/ Winning entry take all. No rake of course.

2/ Each entry is $5. payable via Stars, Tilt, or cash on the morning of the Royal.

3/ Multiple entries per person are fine but each entry stands on it’s own.

4/ For your $5. each entry gets $40. play money to bet with..

5/ You can bet as much or as little on each team or individual at the posted odds, but do need to ensure you use all of your $40.

6/ The odds will not change going forward unless someone points out a major flaw. ( I expect Prophet 22 to do very well at this and find any flaws,)

7/ If someone drops out you can substitute a replacement right up until first deal. You are responsible to ensure your selections are valid on the morning of the Royal.

Here is the link to the google spreadsheet we will be using to track. You simply need to pick how much of your $40. in betting $$$ to place on each team or person in column 1. That will be multiplied by the Odds Multiplier to get your score. Highest score wins the pool.

Royal Cup IX Bets

Any questions, just ask. Note, if we don't get at least 10 entries this will be cancelled and all monies refunded.

Come on guys (and gals) let's see how good you are at beating the handicappers.
  • Can I ask that you captains point your teamates (especially those who aren't on this forum regularily.) to this addition to the fun of the Royal.
  • Why are you doing $5 gets you $40? That means each fantasy dollar is actually worth 12.5 cents. How the hell are you planning to pay that out? WTF? Just make it one for one. If someone wants to make more than 5 bets then they can pony up another $5.
  • moose wrote: »
    Why are you doing $5 gets you $40? That means each fantasy dollar is actually worth 12.5 cents. How the hell are you planning to pay that out? WTF? Just make it one for one. If someone wants to make more than 5 bets then they can pony up another $5.

We worked through several scenarios and $40. just worked. You forget this is winner take all. If there are 20 entries the prize pool is $100. winner take all. You can bet anywhere from 0-$40. in $1. increments on any team or player. There is no bookie.

Have a look at the spreadsheet, I think that will help clarify. Drop the $ in front of 40 and consider it betting units.
  • Ok I changed my mind. I'm in. As a matter of fact I'm ALL IN. 40 on g2 for MVP. Because I feel like donating ;)

/g2
  • Ya ok winner take all. Misunderstood.
  • No wait still lost. How do you decide a winner if multiple people take the same person?