RC IX Handicapping thread

No idea how to actually create lines that make sense, but would it be possible to set lines and bet on the outcome of the Royal? Would love to see some friendly wagering on the outcome, both on team and individual results..

Here's what I think would be a reasonable line on the team outcome but I'm sure ppl like AcidJoe and Prophet would be more knowledgeable in this.

1. Milton Rocks; Captain - compuease
3-1, has won 2 of the last 3 and 2nd in the last one. Solid veteran team who always finds new up and comers to fill out their roster

2. Ching Hill; Captain - STR82ACE
4-1, defending champion but may have some issues losing their "perfect" player as well as long time captains return. (How will fill in captain from last time cope with this)

3. HBK; Captain - Dr Tyore
7-1, One of the original teams who always seems to have the most fun but seems to have one bad round that kills them.

4. KitWho; Captain - Wolfhound
8-1, With Wolffy as your captain you can never be counted out but with his sobriety this team definitley lost some of it's edge.

5. Centre of the Universe; Captain - Darren
10-1, Largely unknown team but captain Darren was so quick off the mark getting his team setup I think they could contend for a money placement.

6. Fish; Captain - Ryan
12-1, a former title holder who has fallen on some hard times lately could make a comeback and contend but will have to quickly regain their "Piranah" edge.

7. Top Set; Captain - Waltsfriend
14-1, again a pretty well unknown team this time round with a new (but solid) captain who could surprise. perhaps Kristy can drive some solid results not having the heavy responsibility of captaincy around her neck...

8. Royally Flushed Misfits ; Captain - HVEEPOKER
15-1, another unknown and largely inexperienced team who may find the whole atmosphere to be very intimidating. However if new captain HVEE can carry over some of his experience from his run with last years champion this team also could surprise.

Comments

• Go ahead post your thoughts.... Want to handicap some of the veteran individuals as to score and placement? Go ahead..
  • Here is how I see it.
    1 Rock 2/1

2.Top Set 7/1

3.Ching Hil 7/1

4.Kit Who 10/1

5.HBK 15/1

6.Field 9/2

Most Points

Field 9/2

Steve Kerr 10/1 assuming he is playing

Moose 12/1

Beanie 12/1

Wetts1012 15/1

g2 15/1

Seekthegrail 15/1

Wolffhound 20/1

Compuease 20/1

Oil Can 25/1

DJGOLFCAN 25/1

Laura 50/1

Waltsfriend 50/1

Big E 75/1

Acid Joe 75/1

KristySea 75/1

Mario 100/1

Shannon 100/1

Pinheads 500/1

Folded 1000/1

money due before the cup starts (will keep a fantesy book)

Compuease 1.00 on Folded for Most points earned
  • Here is how I see it.
    lol, now that looks like how a real handicap odds setup would work... Are you serious on the betting? If so I think I put a buck on Cory at 1000-1.. Are you serious on making Top Set 2nd favorite... ? Also Steve Kerr isn't playing as far as I know...

Nice job though Brent, anyone else care to set their lines for funsies? Reasoning why to set them your way would also be helpful... :)
  • Good bookie doesn't tell you why the line is the way it is, that is up to the better to see if the line is wrong and then make the bet.

Prophet 22
  • Good bookie doesn't tell you why the line is the way it is, that is up to the better to see if the line is wrong and then make the bet.

Prophet 22

Not many "good" bookies around here.... especially me.. More gut feel. :)
  • Forget individual players. Waaay too much to keep track of. Best way to do teams is a calcutta.

calcutta - auction the teams off before the event starts or alternatively between the 1st and 2nd rounds. If you buy your own team you get 100% of the monies. If someone else buys your team then you get the option to buy back 1/2 your team, then the moniez are split with your owner.

Calcutta is simpler but it extends the day as you need to hold the auction before play starts. Or you could have the calcutta between the 1st and 2nd events. They do it this way for curling bonspiels all the time - play one game, auction the teams and then play the rest of the bonspiel and hand out the cash to the team owner/team winner.

Calcutta is simpler because there is only 8 winning bids to keep track of and only one (or two if the team holds 1/2 of themselves) people to pay out. Most teams take the option of buying 1/2 back unless their team went for a ridiculously high price or they feel they have no chance of winning.

Handicapping takes care of itself through the auction process.

http://golf.about.com/od/golfterms/g/bldef_calcutta.htm

http://www.ehow.com/list_6798509_calcutta-pool-tournament-rules.html
  • Moose that sounds like an interesting idea but I have no real idea how to run something like that. Couldn't it be done online ahead of time? I really only created this thread to create some interest and a little friendly bantering but I guess we could actually do some wagering on the team results.
    Over/under on the leading teams totals, etc.
  • Brent, I think I see some value in your lines . . . PM is on the way . . .

PM sent.
  • Here is how I see it.
    1 Rock 2/1

2.Top Set 7/1

3.Ching Hil 7/1

4.Kit Who 10/1

5.HBK 15/1

6.Field 9/2

Most Points

Field 9/2

Steve Kerr 10/1 assuming he is playing

Moose 12/1

Beanie 12/1

Wetts1012 15/1

g2 15/1

Seekthegrail 15/1

Wolffhound 20/1

Compuease 20/1

Oil Can 25/1

DJGOLFCAN 25/1

Laura 50/1

Waltsfriend 50/1

Big E 75/1

Acid Joe 75/1

KristySea 75/1

Mario 100/1

Shannon 100/1

Pinheads 500/1

Folded 1000/1

money due before the cup starts (will keep a fantesy book)

Forget a few?
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Forget a few?

Nope, he didn't. Field is at 9-2.... Meaning if you pick anyone else you get 9-2 odds.

• money due before the cup starts (will keep a fantesy book)

Brent, is this for real, are you really going to take real $$ bets or is this just for funzies? I would never expect you to pay me 1K if folded ever did win MVP.
  • I'm hoping he is serious . . . if only to add a little $pice to the mix. In my case, a verrry little $pice. :-\
  • Milo wrote: »
    I'm hoping he is serious . . . if only to add a little $pice to the mix. In my case, a verrry little $pice. :-\

If he's not I will try and come up with something, ie use his line and bet with play money. Everyone participating throws $5. in and the player who makes the most play money takes the pot? Or some variation of that.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Moose that sounds like an interesting idea but I have no real idea how to run something like that. Couldn't it be done online ahead of time? I really only created this thread to create some interest and a little friendly bantering but I guess we could actually do some wagering on the team results.
    Over/under on the leading teams totals, etc.

If you want to build the time into the tourney day then this is very easily done. All we need is some sort of charismatic auctioneer eg drtyore to auction off the teams. I kind of like this idea more and more because it brings your team back together during the event because usually what happens is the team pools their money to make bids. I would guess you could auction all 8 teams in 30 min or less, especially if the auctioneer keeps things moving. I would do it between the 1st and 2nd rounds, then everyone is there and also with the 1st round results in, it will assist with handicapping.
  • moose wrote: »
    If you want to build the time into the tourney day then this is very easily done. All we need is some sort of charismatic auctioneer eg drtyore to auction off the teams. I kind of like this idea more and more because it brings your team back together during the event because usually what happens is the team pools their money to make bids. I would guess you could auction all 8 teams in 30 min or less, especially if the auctioneer keeps things moving. I would do it between the 1st and 2nd rounds, then everyone is there and also with the 1st round results in, it will assist with handicapping.
    If you are going to do a Calcutta to be fair with everyone do it on the forum if possible the night before/ or an hour prior to the start of the Cup.
    I can't see it being done after the first round.
    Each Team should have their rosters filled and posted by then.
    I have played in several Golf Calcuttas and the auctions were all done the night before.
  • It's no fun unless it is live and with everyone there. One hour before would never work.
    It's no fun unless it is live and with everyone there. One hour before would never work.
    Nothing against it FTR. I am all for it, Still it has to be done before a card is dealt.
    It's like reopening the betting windows at the track and the horses are at the 3/4 pole.
    Pick a location, The night before you can have all interested in participating. Have all 8 team lists there and GO NUTZ.
    I know the perfect place that is quiet on a Friday night. On Guelph Line right off the HWY.
    Everyone interested can get together have a couple of drinks and the food is pretty good too.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Nothing against it FTR. I am all for it, Still it has to be done before a card is dealt.
    It's like reopening the betting windows at the track and the horses are at the 3/4 pole.
    Pick a location, The night before you can have all interested in participating. Have all 8 team lists there and GO NUTZ.
    I know the perfect place that is quiet on a Friday night. On Guelph Line right off the HWY.
    Everyone interested can get together have a couple of drinks and the food is pretty good too.

Sorry Ron, never going to work.. 2 reasons..

1/ People have lives, especially those with kids.. Being away Friday night and all day Saturday is just too much for most.

2/ We have ppl coming from Barrie to west of Kitchener. To much to ask them to drive that far Friday night AND Saturday.

We either have to do something like this online or on the day of.
    Sorry Ron, never going to work.. 2 reasons..

1/ People have lives, especially those with kids.. Being away Friday night and all day Saturday is just too much for most.

2/ We have ppl coming from Barrie to west of Kitchener. To much to ask them to drive that far Friday night AND Saturday.

We either have to do something like this online or on the day of.

I realize this also but still IMO it should be done before a card is dealt.
  • It doesn't matter when you do it. I think after the 1st round would be best so everyone is there and people have a better feel for the teams. It will encourage people to bid on teams other than their own. People just bidding on their own team defeats the purpose.
    It doesn't matter when you do it. I think after the 1st round would be best so everyone is there and people have a better feel for the teams. It will encourage people to bid on teams other than their own. People just bidding on their own team defeats the purpose.

I'm ok with this but I still don't understand the process. Do you even need to set a line or do the bids really detemine that? Can we have both individual bids and team bids? Does the winner get all monies bet? How do we stop someone with deep pockets just outbidding everyone else?
    I'm ok with this but I still don't understand the process. Do you even need to set a line or do the bids really detemine that? Can we have both individual bids and team bids? Does the winner get all monies bet? How do we stop someone with deep pockets just outbidding everyone else?
    Teams are auctioned off to highest bidder or bidders if a group buys a team.
    Basically all money is then considered to be the pot.
    Whoever owns the team that wins gets the pot. If they want to share a percentage with the players on that team then so be it.
    Thats a Calcutta in a nutshell. Since there could be a good chunk of change involved It should be done prior to the start. On Line or in person does not matter.

The last year I played in golf Calcutta the people who bought the team that won got half the pot and the winning team shared in the other half.
    :)
    It is going to make a big difference in Money if you do it after the first round. Especially if 1 team jumps out to a big lead after the 1st round. You may only get action on half of the teams. The Idea here is to build a nice pot and sell all of the teams....
  • I don't think I can argue with the order of teams ranked in the OP, but I would say 10-1 is too high to give Centre of the Universe. With iNano78 (Jeff), Darren, as well as Matty on the Team I think they will do well since I assume they're bringing fairly competent players with them.

If I wasn't so confident in our KitWho? team I would bet on them at those odds.:)

Of course I'm basing all my knowledge of play on two years ago and the "largely unknown" team happens to be the team I know better than the rest.
  • If someone wants to organize and run this please step up as I won't have time on the day of with my other duties. If we want to do it online ahead of time I can do it but not on the Royal day.
    If someone wants to organize and run this please step up as I won't have time on the day of with my other duties. If we want to do it online ahead of time I can do it but not on the Royal day.
    Jeff, I am going to send you a pm here after this. I can set it up and if a couple of people want to help that would be greatly appreciated.
  • Just an idea, but what if we set up a pool structure like Jeff suggested for betting on players? Maybe expand on Brent's to give each player a certain value for finishing 1/2/3 in the MVP race and then anybody who just doesn't get enough gambling action can buy-in to the pool and get a fixed number of betting chips?

For example, betting on me might be assigned 500pts for 1st, 200 for 2nd and 100 for 3rd. Clearly I would bet all my chips on myself and get 500 points for each chip when I win MVP...

This would take some extra work setting up the point structure for all 64 players, but if somebody takes on that task I would happily coordinate the rest, including collecting the picks of any interested participants at the event (all prior to start time of course)

Thoughts?
  • Pinhead wrote: »
    Just an idea, but what if we set up a pool structure like Jeff suggested for betting on players? Maybe expand on Brent's to give each player a certain value for finishing 1/2/3 in the MVP race and then anybody who just doesn't get enough gambling action can buy-in to the pool and get a fixed number of betting chips?

For example, betting on me might be assigned 500pts for 1st, 200 for 2nd and 100 for 3rd. Clearly I would bet all my chips on myself and get 500 points for each chip when I win MVP...

This would take some extra work setting up the point structure for all 64 players, but if somebody takes on that task I would happily coordinate the rest, including collecting the picks of any interested participants at the event (all prior to start time of course)

Thoughts?
    Who's using Pinheads login?

Jus kidding,

Milton Slim
  • ddmilcan wrote: »
    Who's using Pinheads login?

Jus kidding,

Milton Slim

Sorry, the degen in me escaped when I thought about side-bets upon side-bets mixed with flipaments. FWIW this would also allow non-attending forum members a chance to degen it up with us...

Also got sick of that annoying "you never post" message
  • Pinhead wrote: »
    Also got sick of that annoying "you never post" message

so every coupla days, I let my fingers do some walking!

Look forward to seeing you at the Royal

Milton Slim
  • One thing I do want to point out. If we do something like this, either as team or individual betting I want to keep the $$$ small as I do not want a possibility of side betting influencing someones play in the Royal, ie throwing matches... lol.. ala NFL betting... Oh and winners may have to pee in a cup... :)

Off to the dentist shortly for an extraction so if I don't come back, I didn't make it.... I'm a wimp... :(