CPF League play (give it a go?)

13»

Comments

• Loads of time, do you have the pwd?
  • I need a pass
  • Have to send your money to sloth...then you get pw
  • oops, I just sent pwd. I'm staying out of this from here on out other than playing.
  • If you guys hear a loud bang from west of you (east of you Shar), that's me shooting myself as I realized there were only seven playing that one so no little medal for me...

Ah well, nice to come in first anyway. Anyhoo, so now I guess I have to play a significantly larger tourney than I'm used too? Oh boy, I hope this ends well.
  • Just relax and enjoy it Bill. In the old days of cnpl, we used to play a much larger tourney and you really felt the pressure, but in the end, it's still just poker.
  • True. However, not being a math oriented player I always feel somewhat handicapped or out of place as it were. Anyhoo, we'll see what happens.
  • Just play smart and you\ll be fine.
  • Congrats on the win Bill. Good luck in the next tourney. Look forward to playing next week.
  • $55 transferred, gg to you sir!

lookin' forward to railing when you decide to play.

A reminder to all following thread, Bill can choose any MTT $55 event he wants on stars or tilt within a reasonable amount of time.

I'll set up next Tuesdays to start @ 9pm EST
  • Gratz Bill
  • The Sat or Sun 3 pm EST $55 is a good one. Sun the pool usually gets up around $350k. Sat about $280k or so. Tourney 334010577 for the Sunday. It runs every day with a 90k guarantee but on Sunday it guarantees 300k.
  • Just a suggestion, but if you don't feel comfortable playing that level of buyin then maybe you can see if one of the "more experienced" mtt'ers would be willing to skype with ya while you play or maybe once you get deep enough? Just a thought...

Either way GL Bill, you will do fine. Lots of donks at those levels too!
  • do it up bill! Take it down!
    Poker is poker, no matter what stakes no matter what levels, in the end you'll need a God run (and some solid play) to get first. Realistically, you should be ONLY going for first! Good luck!
  • Gentlemen and lady of course,

I have some questions:

1. Being strictly a sng player, how much time do I need to commit to playing a mtt of this range? I've dabbled in 180 mans in the past, but nothing (I assume) of a field I predict this to be. I appreciate the suggestion of Skype coaching, but I'm an independent prick and will likely just go this alone.

2. What do we define as "a reasonable time"? I'm heading off to Kingston for Thanksgiving this weekend to see my Mom who is almost 80, is basically blind and 'does not compute' and has no computer. I won't be playing anything this weekend (kill me now). I can play anything before the weekend, or next week.

3. Given that Moose appears (is for sure in my opinion) to be the resident best evaluator of value for most tangible things in life (places to stay in Vegas, chips, cards, computers, cables, etc.)...It would seem that the Sunday guarantee $300k provides the best return for your mtt $. I'm sure this increases the size of the field by a huge amount which is another factor to consider. Should we set a specific tourney as the chosen tourney for the winner of the satellite to max the value?

Basically, I work long hours every day and I'm not sure I can play a huge tourney before or during this particular weekend. It's a stupid holiday weekend and mine is tied up. If there are issues with trust, etc., I have no problems sending the $ back to Sloth to hold until I'm able to play if that's the way it goes and everyone chooses. Any ideas?

I'm certainly open to any and all suggestions. If there's a $55 tourney before Saturday that someone thinks is good value, throw it out there.
  • i don't think you have to play within a week, withing a month sure....play whatever im fine with, and don't worry about the coaching....just getter done...and ship 8s7s
  • Bill...first off congrats on the win...second off my only rant..I will not play again from the office where the boss can call me :) hahaha.....third and probably only my opinion, but this weekend is special and I don't think anyone would be terribly upset if you delayed a week...I don't remember the old rules well enough, but I'd be surprised if people got upset with two CPF players playing in two tournaments the same week...I know I wouldn't..

Now concerning your other questions...most of the big money MTT's I usually schedule 5 + hours for..and that usually only gets you into the money, never mind deep into the money...

Some suggestions for beating off the boredom that sometimes happens..when either taking a bad beat or hitting a huge hand, sometimes good to do the 10 minute walk away concept...especially on the bad beats... This one may sound stupid but if double or triple up early, take a longer break, just avoid the god complex where you think you become invincible...nasty things happen then :)

Also read some of the forum posts on MTT..I did many years ago and have been doing much better (cashing more often then not, although not going deep into the money, haven't figured out that part yet)...

Above all else remember to enjoy and not worry about what the other CPF's say...we all get to use hindsite to say "I would have done XXXXXX" but reality is we never know until we're in the situation...

Grahamer
  • reibs wrote: »
    Just a suggestion, but if you don't feel comfortable playing that level of buyin then maybe you can see if one of the "more experienced" mtt'ers would be willing to skype with ya while you play or maybe once you get deep enough? Just a thought...

Thats not a bad idea.
  • Only a personal opinion, but isn't the point of the CPF to allow people to try things they wouldn't normally do. For instance buy into a larger tournaments.....on that basis, I would suggest that anyone that wins really try a MTT for the experience, it changes your game quite a bit and like all things poker, learning is usually a good thing... Just my two cents, and no i don't accept change ;)

Grahamer
  • I second Grahame's sentiments. The whole point of this is to get opportunities to play in larger stakes tournaments that we normally can't or aren't really willing to get involved in. If we take down a profit, all the better. When I started with the CNPL concept years ago I was relatively new to the poker scene, but I learned an awful lot from the experience and now can money in MTT's far more regularly, even going deep to final tables once in a while. I still get nervous, especially in bigger stakes (although I tend only to play those live, not online), but what I have learned most is to relax, enjoy it, and see what happens. Bad beats will always hurt and you tend to remember them more than the wins, but just really enjoy it and try your best. When we did the CNPL version, the folks involved (like Grahame and Sloth) were tremendously supportive of each other and we all tried to encourage, rather than pressure, whoever was the chosen player each time.

I'm not worried about when, just let us know and know we're backing you win or lose, (though winning is way more fun. :))
  • The sunday tourney you are looking at probably 4 hours just to cash so yeah it's an all day thing if you go deep.

There is also the nightly $70k, $55, starting at 9:30 pm but again at least 3 hours just to cash.
  • Fludlerk wrote: »
    I second Grahame's sentiments.

diito..... i followed the other logic and it ended in me transferring my bankroll to vekked
  • I am ok with the "reasonable" time being within a few weeks of each win. I would rather you make sure you will have the time and energy to play to the end rather than you passing out midway on your kb and being blinded out, or worse, have your boss call you when you are heads up!!!;)

Good luck to you Bill, and you know I will rail if I am able to for sure!

~Shar