Question Week: Sharantyr

13»

Comments

• ~ Hmmm. Good question. To be honest, when I first joined this forum (my first ever public), I thought your avatar could be used to maybe convey something personal about yourself. I am a proud Canadian, and in the words of Danny DeVito, a herbalist. There are many who have strong and differing opinions on this matter, and that will forever be the case. But in this instance, I am not shy. I would rather be upfront and honest about who I am. There is no need to hide it.
  • Favourite Muppet from the Muppet Show?

Favourite Muppet from Muppet Babies?

Favourite dinosaur?

Since you brought it up first...

real or fake?
  • That's cool, I was more interested in the colour, actually. I have partaken in my youth, but had never seen a flowering plant, so I was intrigued . . .

so, how will you address this issue with your son?
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Favourite Muppet from the Muppet Show?

Favourite Muppet from Muppet Babies?

Favourite dinosaur?

Since you brought it up first...

real or fake?

~I really didn't get too into the muppet babies too much.

~100% real
  • Milo wrote: »
    That's cool, I was more interested in the colour, actually. I have partaken in my youth, but had never seen a flowering plant, so I was intrigued . . .

so, how will you address this issue with your son?

~It has already been addressed. No different than discussing alcohol, sex, or anything else he is going to learn about in my opinion. I was honest with him and we have talked about all aspects. One day he will be faced with this choice. He may decide he doesnt want to. Thats great. He may decide he wants to try...I would rather it be with me. But if it isn't, he needs to be aware.

You can not always rely on those you depend on to teach your kids, to teach them what you would want them to learn. I have tried my hardest to bring him up knowing that if he ever has questions about anything, he can ask me, and not be frightened, or embarrased to ask.
  • sharantyr wrote: »
    ~
    ~100% real

pics...or gtfo!
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    pics...or gtfo!

lol

~ You are gonna have to take them honey.>:D
  • Just fyi. Heading out to the lake today, but I do have internetz out there. I will happily answer any questions that are asked....but atleast for tonight my responses may be quite late. Hope you all have a wonderful easter!

Shar
  • So, what is the lake like? Name?

Deep? Shallow? Weedy? Sandy? Large? Small?

Curious because, as you mentioned, the perception is that SK is flat, and full of wheat.
    So, what is the lake like? Name?

Deep? Shallow? Weedy? Sandy? Large? Small?

Curious because, as you mentioned, the perception is that SK is flat, and full of wheat.

~It is called Last Mountain Lake. It is about about 60 miles long and at its widests about 2 miles wide. The entire north end of the lake is a pelican breeding grounds and is a protected conservation area. There are hides and trails set up so you can watch the bird migrations and such. More marshy at the north end. There are nice beaches all around, and a couple provincial park areas.

I can post a few pics when I am at home tomorrow.

**Already have rib steaks on the bbq, corn on the cob cooking, and lawn chairs set up by the lake =)**
  • God bless google maps . . . that is a cool spot. Am I right in guessing it is the southern edge of the Shield? Migration must be something to see . . .
    God bless google maps . . . that is a cool spot. Am I right in guessing it is the southern edge of the Shield? Migration must be something to see . . .

~You would have to drive a couple hours or so north to hit the shield. The edge of it starts closer to Prince Albert. Still mostly farmland around our lake. Most of the trees that are around here were hand planted.

I just walked back from my aunt and uncles cottage. There are so many stars out! Orion is soon going to disappear for the summer!!!

The migrations are amazing. It is so cool to see flocks of pelicans. In the fall the farmers have cannons that go off to try and keep the birds out of the fields. Even in Regina, we have Wascana Park, and it is on the migratory path for the Canadian Geese tho some stay year round. I take my son each spring to feed the goslings.
  • Google Earth is fun too. That top is really not your colour (:D) . . .

You mentioned Orion . . . just the one constellation that everybody else knows, or is stargazing a hobby? Must be some amazing nights for it in your locale.

Do you get much light pollution?
  • Have you ever been to Tugaske, SK? It's between Elbow, SK and Eyebrow, SK! (not kidding) A friend of gf's lives there. She bought a house there a number of years ago for...................$100!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were shocked the other day when we found out it was on Google street view.

Have you ever heard of a program called Stellarium? If you're a star watcher, it's incredible, and FREE to download! It was suggested to me by a few members of CPF who are watchers of the 'worlds above'.
    Google Earth is fun too. That top is really not your colour (:D) . . .

You mentioned Orion . . . just the one constellation that everybody else knows, or is stargazing a hobby? Must be some amazing nights for it in your locale.

Do you get much light pollution?

What do you mean...top?:p

~ My Grandma used to point out all the constellations to me when I was little. This is the "land of living skies" country. The night skies are unreal, millions of stars. You can watch mars and venus trek thru the sky and pinpoint sattelites. The northern lights are amazing and sometimes feel so close you could touch them..I have even seen them so bright they reflect in the lake.

We really don't have much of a light pollution problem. In the city at night you can still see lots of stars, but if you drive just out of the city the view is much better.

These are pics taken from my cottage. I have a few others you might like too. I can show you the kinda fish we catch :) just gotta find em.
  • Have you ever been to Tugaske, SK? It's between Elbow, SK and Eyebrow, SK! (not kidding) A friend of gf's lives there. She bought a house there a number of years ago for...................$100!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were shocked the other day when we found out it was on Google street view.

Have you ever heard of a program called Stellarium? If you're a star watcher, it's incredible, and FREE to download! It was suggested to me by a few members of CPF who are watchers of the 'worlds above'.

~No I haven't been there :)

~I would need someone to show me how to work all that, or even to get it to function, but yes I have heard of it. It would be great out here.
  • ~Here are a few more lake pics I found. Thats my mum trying to hold up her catch while my uncle laughs at her ;) Those are northern pike btw.