Scotch

Comments

• OMG Reef, read the damn thread.

Nobody said drinking was like smoking.
  • To be fair, though, your anti-meat stance has many parallels to former smoker "holier than thou-ism" . . . just sayin'

Ducks the inevitable grenade . . .
  • My first:

Highland Park 18
    Awesome simply awesome.

I went canoe camping with a bunch of friends of a friend.
    I remarked... too bad we can't bring beer,

Everyone else I noticed had a flask of scotch...
    I brought bourbon.
    Since on 2 week canoe trip you can't bring a lot it makes sense to bring something good.

Others brought.

Lagavulin 16 // This used to be really cheap now it's expensive.
    Laphroaig 10 // these have gone up in price a lot
    Cardu 12
    Glenfiddich 18 // This one is really nice.
    Auchentoshan 10

I don't know what they did, but the 2007Q4 release (and all bottles since) of Highland Park 18 is some of the best stuff I've every drank. Previously, HP18 was OK, but not that special... but since that release, I'd describe it as heaven in a glass. (Note that the 12, 15, and 17 are no where close and not worth the price).

It was $110 at the LCBO when it first came out, and I bought a bottle with the intention of opening it when I submitted my PhD thesis. That was an awesome party! Anyway, it was so good, I went back and bought a couple more bottles. Since then, they've driven the price up to $140, but you can still get it for < $75 at the duty free (although it's a 700 mL bottle instead of 750 mL). I think I'm on my 6th or 7th bottle of it, and have one unopened still.

I have 3 bottles of Lagavulin Distiller's Edition; all different years. This year's release is garbage. OK, there's worse scotch out there, but it's not worth the $140 or whatever they're charging now. I have an unopened bottle of the 1984 (released in 2001) that I'm saving for a special occasion.

I used to always stock a bottle of Laphraoig 10 until they stopped selling it in Ontario. But their "Quarter Cask" is comparable. Unfortunately it's 1.5x the price (~ $65), as you mentioned. I had the Laphraoig 18 at a tasting in Ottawa (it was complimentary; they charge $25 an ounce for it on the menu), but I didn't like it as much as the Laphraoig 15 (which I can only find in the USA).

I've had 3 bottles of Glenfiddich 18. A few years ago, it was really smooth and had this terrific chocolatey finish, but the last bottle I got (released in late 2008 ) was harsh and didn't have the chocolately finish I was used to. At ~ $100/bottle, I'm not willing to take the chance again. Besides, there's nicer stuff at that price.

I bought a bottle of Auchentoshan 21 in Calgary in 2006. It was OK; very fruity. Somebody gave me a bottle of the 10. I hated it... but later discovered that it makes THE BEST godfather EVAR!!! 3 parts Auchentoshan to 1 part Amaretto (Disaronno) on the rocks. Mmmmm... so yummy. I keep a bottle of Auchenoshan on hand (either 10 or 12; whatever I can find) just for godfathers.

In addition to all that, I've currently got some Dalwhinnie (both Distiller's Ed. and the normal 15), Glen Morangie (Quinta Ruban; not as good as the Nectar d'Or, which I tried at my local scotch bar), Glenlivet "archive" 21 (very smooth; reminds me of apple pie), and Oban Distiller's Edition (also smooth, and tastes like pears). Oh, and I have a bottle of Macallan 18. it's nice, but not worth the $280 that the LCBO charges, and not as nice as the HP18, imho. Luckily you can get it at the duty-free for $100. That way, you can impress your friends, and save some money for the poker game. :) I've also got various blends on hand for people who want to try something but wouldn't appreciate the really good stuff (Te Bheag, Black Grouse, Smokehead).

Next to my live poker games, the monthly event I most look forward to is the scotch tasting at the Highlander in downtown Ottawa. Every 2nd Sunday of the month at 2pm. There's nothing better than to sample 5 drams on a Sunday afternoon, with complimentary haggis, shortbread, and other homemade snacks.

P.S. I've never seen Lagavulin 16 for < $90 (at least not in the last 10 years). You might be thinking of something else.
  • Milo wrote: »
    To be fair, though, your anti-meat stance has many parallels to former smoker "holier than thou-ism" . . . just sayin'

That's a complete lie.

I cook meat for my entire family every day. I'm completely respectful of people making their own choice, and when it is relevant I state the facts as plainly as I can. I listen to all manners of lies and bullshit from carnivores that attempt to make meat ok for a variety of reasons and never mention that those reasons are, in fact 'lies and bullshit' until I'm asked about it or brought into the conversation.

I openly admit that smoking is bad for me and that I'd like to quit, being a smoker does not make me incapable of commenting intelligently and logically on OTHER health related issues and I am probably the most conscientious smoker you'll ever meet. Pete actually told me to smoke inside his car, as it didn't bother him..I refused and stood out in the snow as it isn't healthy for him to be around it. I stand 9 meters away from entrances. When you do that to eat the foul smelling chicken wings that make me naseous, come and talk to me.

The only real comparison is that in both instances I point out someone's flawed logic and call it exactly what it is.
  • Here's a shot just after (?) my PhD submission party:
    jdunford-albums-whisky-jdunford-picture3426-few-more-bottles-showed-up-night.jpg

And here's a poker chip related shot. It turns out the guy who had my Speakeasy chips made is a big fan of Balvenie... so...
    jdunford-albums-whisky-jdunford-picture3424-balvenie-empty-chips.jpg
    (unfortunately the bottle was empty)

The godfather... Mmmmmmm.
    jdunford-albums-whisky-jdunford-picture3402-i-really-dislike-single-malt-its-own-but-makes-best-godfather-known-man.jpg

Lagavulin: Out with the 1988; in with the 1984:
    jdunford-albums-whisky-jdunford-picture3399-my-nearly-empty-1988-brand-new-1984.jpg

Looks like somebody had a party:
    jdunford-albums-whisky-jdunford-picture3407-few-scotch-whiskys-counter-after-party-auchentashan-12-disaronno-godfathers-t-bheag-blend-tastes-like-smoked-bacon-glenlivet-archive-21-glenmorangie-quinta-ruban-laphroaig-quarter-cask-scapa-14-lagavulin-distillers-edition-1988-2004-highland-park-15-highland-park-18.jpg
  • iNano78 wrote: »
    jdunford-albums-whisky-jdunford-picture3407-few-scotch-whiskys-counter-after-party-auchentashan-12-disaronno-godfathers-t-bheag-blend-tastes-like-smoked-bacon-glenlivet-archive-21-glenmorangie-quinta-ruban-laphroaig-quarter-cask-scapa-14-lagavulin-distillers-edition-1988-2004-highland-park-15-highland-park-18.jpg

you shouldn't wash your hands in your kitchen sink..it isn't very hygienic. ;)
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Here's where I spend all my accumulated coolness points..left to my own devices (sans Mark and Mario) I really think drinking is the lamest thing ever.

And while I've accepted the use of it as a social lubricant, this whole "appreciate the taste and drink it just for itself and to kill liver cells on a tuesday night with dinner" seems stupid to me.

Given that everybody on PFC has a crush on Kristy, I'm going to take some heat for what I'm about to say, but...

Kristy, I know you like to post 5 to everyone else's 1, but why are you trolling this thread? Your first post made your opinion clear. That's great. You're done.

This thread is supposed to be about scotch. If you don't drink, don't understand why people would want to drink, and have no interested in drinking let alone sipping a whisky because you like the flavour, then I don't understand why you're continuing to post here. There are lots of other threads to fill with noise. Please post pro-vegetarian and pro-smoking discussions somewhere else.

[/rant]

*EDIT* OK, I just went back and actually read all the posts in this thread (including all the smoking ones). The discussion is more appropriate than I thought. Carry on.
  • I've never been masochistic enough to enjoy Scotch.

Re Vodka, it must come from Poland or at worst Russia. IMO Chopin is #1 followed by Belvedere and Russian Standard.
    Given that everybody on PFC has a crush on Kristy, I'm going to take some heat for what I'm about to say, but...

Kristy, I know you like to post 5 to everyone else's 1, but why are you trolling this thread? Your first post made your opinion clear. That's great. You're done.

This thread is supposed to be about scotch. If you don't drink, don't understand why people would want to drink, and have no interested in drinking let alone sipping a whisky because you like the flavour, then I don't understand why you're continuing to post here. There are lots of other threads to fill with noise. Please post pro-vegetarian and pro-smoking discussions somewhere else.

[/rant]

Oh Hai, that was a stupid rant.

I made a comment about drinking and then responded to the back and forth after that. I'm allowed to have an opinion, and last I checked you were not the current owner of the forum deciding infallibly about what is 'relevant' or 'allowed' in a thread.
    Oh Hai, that was a stupid rant.

I made a comment about drinking and then responded to the back and forth after that. I'm allowed to have an opinion, and last I checked you were not the current owner of the forum deciding infallibly about what is 'relevant' or 'allowed' in a thread.

In case you missed it, I edited/added to that post:

"OK, I just went back and actually read all the posts in this thread (including all the smoking ones). The discussion is more appropriate than I thought. Carry on."

My rant was stupid, but had a reason. It bugs me when there's a topic I'm actually interested in, and it takes forever to find the few posts that are on topic between all the static from people who have no interest in the topic and little of value to add but simply like to post for the sake of posting... like talking because they like the sound of their own voices. Upon first skimming through, it seemed like that's what you were doing. My bad. Carry on.

By the way, why is it bad to wash my hands in my kitchen sink? What do you do after handling raw meat? Oh right, you're a vegetarian... OK, if somebody dropped an animal carcass on you and you happened to be in the kitchen, wouldn't it be convenient if there was soap?
    What do you do after handling raw meat?

In before answer is "turn down the lights".
    That's a complete lie.

Okay, I expected the vitriol. allow me to clarify:

I merely meant that, when drawn into the conversation, your zealousness re: Meat v. Vegan is akin to that of a reformed smoker, and it is.

Much like the reformed smoker, who refuses to admit that many "facts" surrounding the smoking debate ARE debatable, you refuse to admit/concede points of contention from the opponents of your stance, regardless of merit.

Feel free to retort but I am done with this portion of the debate.

Mole, have you tried some of the Dutch Vodkas? Do not dismiss them out of hand. Russian Standard?!? Maybe to strip paint, but that is about all.
  • Here's the shots from JohnnieH's last tourney. Unfortunately you can't see the bottles all that well. Just a small part of my collection. Have to see if I can get a bottle of that heaven in a glass on my next Vegas trip. We lined them up worst to first so you could get a feel for what a quality scotch was like.

17454_396346980323_684420323_10150048_6313753_n.jpg

17454_396346990323_684420323_10150049_7274654_n.jpg
  • I wouldn't mind JW if it wasn't so expensive. I don't mind paying a lot of money for a nice scotch, but in the end, JW is just another blend and in my mind not worth the money.
  • moose wrote: »
    Here's the shots from JohnnieH's last tourney. Unfortunately you can't see the bottles all that well. Just a small part of my collection. Have to see if I can get a bottle of that heaven in a glass on my next Vegas trip. We lined them up worst to first so you could get a feel for what a quality scotch was like.

17454_396346990323_684420323_10150049_7274654_n.jpg
    Rob, what are those two furthest to the right? Can't make out the labels... 2nd-last looks like a Bowmore (?).
    What do you do after handling raw meat?

In before answer is "turn down the lights".

In after. :D

I don't touch food meat with my hands. That's what tongs and basting brushes are for. I wash my hands in the washroom, but I can see now why you mightn't.
    I don't touch food meat with my hands. That's what tongs and basting brushes are for. I wash my hands in the washroom, but I can see now why you mightn't.
    I also wash my hands in the bathroom (were you implying I don't?). I probably wash my hands 30+ times per day. In fact, I can't think of a sink - at home or at work - that doesn't have soap next to it.
  • tldr (much)...

The only hard liquor I enjoy is Tequila -- Milo, when I was in Mexico recently I bought some aged locally grown tequila...it is great (better than DJ Anjeho and only $50 a bottle (500ml I think, I'm not at home)). Also bought some "novelty" flavoured tequilas -- almond and coffee/chocolate (supposed to be good on pancakes but have yet to try it out).

I never eat a cow that smoked or didn't wash it's hands thoroughly.
    were you implying I don't?

nope.
  • I've heard good things about Crystal Head Vodka.
  • What are the best values for scotch these days.

I used to drink a lot of lowland scotch before Laphroaig and Lagavulin went up in price. Lately I've been fancying the Genfiddich 18 but it's kinda pricey. Same for the Highland Park.

Has anyone been to a good scotch bar?

The faculty club at McMaster has about 150 different bottles...
  • What are the best values for scotch these days.

I used to drink a lot of [islay] scotch before Laphroaig and Lagavulin went up in price. Lately I've been fancying the Genfiddich 18 but it's kinda pricey. Same for the Highland Park.

Has anyone been to a good scotch bar?

The faculty club at McMaster has about 150 different bottles...
    Fyp (?).

I'm a regular at the Highlander Pub in Ottawa; over 200 bottles, with a monthly Scotch tasting. The owner even offered us some Laphroaig 18 on the house (priced at $25/ounce) for the pre-Christmas tasting. :)

On the value side, there's a nice blend available called "Té Bheag" (said "chey vek" by some Gaelic rule of pronunciation). It has a sweet, smoky taste that reminds my friend of cured bacon. They claim to use a good proportion of aged islay malts - some claim it's Laphroaig, others claim it's Lagavulin, but no one knows for sure. It's $36.95 at the LCBO. I've also tried Black Grouse (Famous Grouse's "premium" blend that claims to have a high concentration of islay malts; $32.95) but I prefer Té Bheag. There's also Smokehead and Peat Monster, but they're closer to $60 per bottle and not twice as good, imo.

While it's more expensive than the 10-year used to be, the Laphroaig "Quarter Cask" is still very nice for $63.95. Although you have to be careful; like wine, I've found that it goes bad (loses some smoky flavours and gets somewhat bitter) if it gets too much oxygen, so be sure to keep it well corked... and you shouldn't plan to savour it over year or more; probably best to finish it within a few months of opening. If you don't believe me, pour a dram in the evening, have half, then try it again in the morning. Blah!!
  • By Islay or lowland do you mean peaty?

Sorry I keep forgetting to get back to this thread and post my list of scotch's.
    Fyp (?).

I'm a regular at the Highlander Pub in Ottawa; over 200 bottles, with a monthly Scotch tasting. The owner even offered us some Laphroaig 18 on the house (priced at $25/ounce) for the pre-Christmas tasting. :)

On the value side, there's a nice blend available called "Té Bheag" (said "chey vek" by some Gaelic rule of pronunciation). It has a sweet, smoky taste that reminds my friend of cured bacon. They claim to use a good proportion of aged islay malts - some claim it's Laphroaig, others claim it's Lagavulin, but no one knows for sure. It's $36.95 at the LCBO. I've also tried Black Grouse (Famous Grouse's "premium" blend that claims to have a high concentration of islay malts; $32.95) but I prefer Té Bheag. There's also Smokehead and Peat Monster, but they're closer to $60 per bottle and not twice as good, imo.

While it's more expensive than the 10-year used to be, the Laphroaig "Quarter Cask" is still very nice for $63.95. Although you have to be careful; like wine, I've found that it goes bad (loses some smoky flavours and gets somewhat bitter) if it gets too much oxygen, so be sure to keep it well corked... and you shouldn't plan to savour it over year or more; probably best to finish it within a few months of opening. If you don't believe me, pour a dram in the evening, have half, then try it again in the morning. Blah!!

Thanks for the FYP.

Islay means lowland means tastes like peat.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm going to pick up a bottle of Te Bheag tonight and give it a try.

I've started to use the Vin Vac, on my scotch bottles, It's system of valve corks and a pump that allows you to evacuate the air (oxygen) from the bottles, Not quite an argon/nitrogen system but it might help.

I've found that some scotch corks dry out after a long time.
    Do you store your scotch flat or upright?
  • I've found that some scotch corks dry out after a long time.
    Do you store your scotch flat or upright?

I store mine upright, but I make sure a cork gets wet each time I pour some. I've thought about installing an inert gas system (heck, that's on my résumé; I've changed two N2 and two Ar cylinders in my lab so far this morning), but scotch doesn't last long at my place...

I've only really noticed this problem with Laphroaig. If you have a bottle that's less than half full and leave it alone for a month or two, it goes downhill. Others (including Lagavulin and Highland Park) don't seem to be as adversely affected.

P.S. Lowlands not equal to Islay:
    http://www.whisky-distilleries.info/Maps/B_ScotlandMap.jpg
    But both can be peaty... and if you like Laphroaig and Lagavulin (both from Islay), then it's peaty you're after.

P.P.S. Happy Robbie Burns Day! I'm heading down to the Highlander for the piping in of the haggis as soon as I'm done work.
  • I got this on saturday and finally cracked it this weekend, and I am literally shitting my pants at how good it is.. It was so good I had to have another and now I want to save it for the rest of my life.

Can anyone give advice on how to store it please? Im a n00b when it comes to this newest passion of mine.

thanx.
  • epic_donk wrote: »
    I got this on saturday and finally cracked it this weekend, and I am literally shitting my pants at how good it is.. It was so good I had to have another and now I want to save it for the rest of my life.

Can anyone give advice on how to store it please? Im a n00b when it comes to this newest passion of mine.

thanx.

Store it upright.

Scotch can eat corks, ruining the cork and the scotch.
  • epic_donk wrote: »
    I fancy myself a preety intense whisky drinker (love my rye and gingers)... however I dont care for any whicky-scotch's out there.

can someone enlighten me on the difference between whisky and scotch?

Now you know.
  • Was out at a pub earlier and had some Glenfiddich 18. Was really impressed with it. Extremely smooth. Made me upset I grabbed the bottle of Glenmorangie the other day instead of that. Will definitely be buying soon and adding to my slowly growing collection.
    OMG Reef, read the damn thread.

Nobody said drinking was like smoking.

I wasn't talking about what you said, I was talking about what you do...

But I guess it sounds like so much existential claptrap if you're addicted... nevermind.