Comments

• Very interesting. How long until it's considered acceptable and normal to laugh openly at anyone who suggests global warming is a problem that man is capable of having any influence on? Or even a problem at all?
    There are books from the '70's in my local library warning everyone about global cooling and how it's a huge problem we NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT......
  • Did we get any snow last month? I can't remember......no snow eh? For the first time in 140+ years. I don't get it. Humans can't possibly affect the environment. I'm gonna go stick my head back in the sand.
  • I am unsure as to the level of sarcasm being displayed in the previous responses . . . which is an odd feeling for me.

The Earth will eventually tire of homo sapiens, and we will go the way of the dinosaurs. I have enjoyed watching the Discovery Channels shows on what the Earth will look like when we are gone. Fortunately, no one I know will be around when that happens, so I choose to worry about things that impact me a little more directly.

Global Warming, Climate Change, fuck it. I have greater concern over fresh water supplies, thank you very much.
  • Milo wrote: »
    The Earth will eventually tire of homo sapiens, and we will go the way of the dinosaurs.

I'm not so sure... If the species can last another 1000 years, I'm fairly certain we'll be able to outlast the earth...

Think about the change of 100 years... from 1909 til today. 1000 years from now... human genome will be mapped... fusion energy... outposts on the moon, mars...

Our biggest threat is disease... some random virus... but 100 years from now that should be licked...

A thousand years... just a blink of an eye!
  • I'm not so sure... If the species can last another 1000 years, I'm fairly certain we'll be able to outlast the earth...

That is definitely a possibility . . . however . . .

Think about the change of 100 years... from 1909 til today. 1000 years from now... human genome will be mapped... fusion energy... outposts on the moon, mars...

Fusion energy is more probable than the outposts on Mars or the Moon. The only way those happen is out of a need for resource development, or a need for space. Neither of these is immediately pressing, so money will not be allocated any time soon.

Our biggest threat is disease... some random virus... but 100 years from now that should be licked...

a hundred years from now the diseases of today will be licked. The problem then becomes the new diseases that develop.

A thousand years... just a blink of an eye!

See bolded comments
  • There is no doubt in my mind that human occupation of the planet affects the climate. But, I have a hard time believing it is to the degree that these scientists/government would have us believe.

The end of the ice age started global warming, not humans. The continent/country that I call home was once a tropical paradise...this is a proven fact. It will be again, and it wasn't due to the human race.
  • DennisG wrote: »
    There is no doubt in my mind that human occupation of the planet affects the climate. But, I have a hard time believing it is to the degree that these scientists/government would have us believe.

The end of the ice age started global warming, not humans. The continent/country that I call home was once a tropical paradise...this is a proven fact. It will be again, and it wasn't due to the human race.

Yeah well I only believe ultra sooper dooper proven facts. Lame old proven facts don't mean anything.
  • Yes that is most definately interesting ... and a debate which will undoubtedly go on forever. While I am a sideliner reading these "emails" (real or not), I can not sit by without atleast airing my personal opinion. I chose to study Geography at the University level because the world facinates me. In my studies I came to learn that, for every scientist who claims one thing there will be atleast one who counters their claim. This is done in a variety of ways, and whether it is intentional or not, test results can be easily manipulated, statistical information skewed to favour/discredit your claims or the claims of others, or just by a simple ommission of a single data set, important information is missed. There is always a way to make your theory look better or worse depending on how you decide to present the information (as can be seen in the emails real or not). Global warming is a real thing. What you hear in the media or in the news only presents the parts of the stories they want you to hear and base your opinions on. For example, the scientists hired by the government will always find a way to present information in the light they (government agencies) want it to be seen. At the same time, those who oppose these government ideals will present the same information in a different way. No matter what way you look at it .... Fact: The earth has always gone thru warming and cooling trends (multiple), and this has gone on before humans and will likely continue after humans if we dont blow the whole place up first. The idea of global warming is a complex idea, not just simply the earth getting warmer or cooler due to human habitation. It is affected by weather patterns, weather cycles, global effects due to volcanic erruptions (which can include temperature changes),and to a certain extent, human activity (just to simplify the long long list of external processes that can be linked to this phenomena). To me this is a topic that will not only forever interest me, but will also constantly change as far as available information. The key is to not get trapped into a tunnel vision way of thinking about it.....The world and its processes are complex and there is no way we can know for sure what all the cause and effects are or will be. The only sure thing we can do is make sure we try to preserve and maintain what we have, to the best of our abilities and knowledge, otherwise it will be gone...and those processes too will continuously evolve as new ideas are presented, new practices are adopted, and old theories discarded.

And Just FYI ...... Last winter was one of the coldest on record in Sask....but global warming is a real thing!!! -55/ -60 C is freakin COLD!!!!!!!!!!! For some reason I don't think I will have ocean front property in my lifetime :)

Shar
    There is no doubt in my mind that human occupation of the planet affects the climate. But, I have a hard time believing it is to the degree that these scientists/government would have us believe.

Ok, geography was never my best subject, but wasn't this back when it was called Pangea (I think that's the name) when all the continents were still together around the equater. Hasn't been tropical since it moved up here afaik, but like I said, geog was never my deal in school so I'm probably clueless and making a fool of myself :D
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Ok, geography was never my best subject, but wasn't this back when it was called Pangea (I think that's the name) when all the continents were still together around the equater. Hasn't been tropical since it moved up here afaik, but like I said, geog was never my deal in school so I'm probably clueless and making a fool of myself :D

Yep..you are correct, the fossil evidence does support the Pangea theory. None the less, the most recent "ice age" was only about 30k years ago...there have been several..thus indicating natural global warming..

There is nearly zero chance that this article is legitimate.
  • There is nearly zero chance that this article is legitimate.

Article, and site, may be hinky . . . but the substance of what they are "reporting" has been dealt with by more legitimate news organizations in a more even handed fashion.
  • Think about the change of 100 years... from 1909 til today. 1000 years from now... human genome will be mapped... fusion energy... outposts on the moon, mars...

The human genome has already been mapped.
  • The human genome has already been mapped.

Ok... My bad... More to my point, I was thinking about 100 years hence and our ability to manipulate it!
    Sharantyr wrote:
    Yes that is most definately interesting ... and a debate which will undoubtedly go on forever. While I am a sideliner reading these "emails" (real or not), I can not sit by without atleast airing my personal opinion. I chose to study Geography at the University level because the world facinates me. In my studies I came to learn that, for every scientist who claims one thing there will be atleast one who counters their claim. This is done in a variety of ways, and whether it is intentional or not, test results can be easily manipulated, statistical information skewed to favour/discredit your claims or the claims of others, or just by a simple ommission of a single data set, important information is missed. There is always a way to make your theory look better or worse depending on how you decide to present the information (as can be seen in the emails real or not). Global warming is a real thing. What you hear in the media or in the news only presents the parts of the stories they want you to hear and base your opinions on. For example, the scientists hired by the government will always find a way to present information in the light they (government agencies) want it to be seen. At the same time, those who oppose these government ideals will present the same information in a different way. No matter what way you look at it .... Fact: The earth has always gone thru warming and cooling trends (multiple), and this has gone on before humans and will likely continue after humans if we dont blow the whole place up first. The idea of global warming is a complex idea, not just simply the earth getting warmer or cooler due to human habitation. It is affected by weather patterns, weather cycles, global effects due to volcanic erruptions (which can include temperature changes),and to a certain extent, human activity (just to simplify the long long list of external processes that can be linked to this phenomena). To me this is a topic that will not only forever interest me, but will also constantly change as far as available information. The key is to not get trapped into a tunnel vision way of thinking about it.....The world and its processes are complex and there is no way we can know for sure what all the cause and effects are or will be. The only sure thing we can do is make sure we try to preserve and maintain what we have, to the best of our abilities and knowledge, otherwise it will be gone...and those processes too will continuously evolve as new ideas are presented, new practices are adopted, and old theories discarded.

Feel free to stop by an English class and grab a paragraph or two!!!
  • I was not aware that a post should conform to the English department guidelines. My appologies. I can edit it if you like, but the content will still be the same. I will take my fail and try again next time. Sorry Proffessor Michael!!!

@}->-- Shar
  • Apology accepted... although I am not a professor of any sort! My post was not meant to be mean-spirited, but more humourous in general, however, the lack of the odd line space, or indentation makes long post like yours more difficult to read (especially on hand-held devices.)

No worries! Have a pleasant day!

P.S. Just wait 'til Kristy rips into you someday!
  • You guys are right, us adding billion of tons of CO2 in the close system that is the Earth's atmosphere has no effect at all on the environment.

Also the fact we spend 10 times more energy producing food than the actual energy the food is giving us will not bite us in the fanny down the road.

I love having my head in the ground, Ostriges rule the Earth!

• I do not think that most skeptics are suggesting that our presence here has no effect on the Earth's systems. But the extent to which we can, and do, effect those systems is another debate entirely. It is also one in which, until very recently, an entire side has been continually shouted down with the type of ferocity usually reserved for child molesters, racists, and other undesirables.

Skepticism is a healthy thing, and a quite reasonable attitude, especially when the choices being offered are of the Hobson's variety . . .
  • Ok... My bad... More to my point, I was thinking about 100 years hence and our ability to manipulate it!

Feel free to stop by an English class and grab a paragraph or two!!!

ROFL, she can join the group I am in, You start off by saying hi my name is philliivey and I am lazy with grammer on pokerforum.ca:)

It is a new year's resolution of mine to change my ways..:)
  • Apology accepted... although I am not a professor of any sort! My post was not meant to be mean-spirited, but more humourous in general, however, the lack of the odd line space, or indentation makes long post like yours more difficult to read (especially on hand-held devices.)

popcorn ready!

My dear Michael,

First of all you would not have gotten a flower from me if I thought you were being mean intentionally :) I will for sure keep in mind that it was difficult to read in a run on sentence format! I actually do appreciate the feed back since this is the first forum I have ever joined. I just couldn't help but join in on this particular topic.

Second of all, Kristy can rip into me anytime ... Have you seen her ass? I am her slave!!!!

• Sharantyr wrote: »
    My dear Michael,

First of all you would not have gotten a flower from me if I thought you were being mean intentionally :) I will for sure keep in mind that it was difficult to read in a run on sentence format! I actually do appreciate the feed back since this is the first forum I have ever joined. I just couldn't help but join in on this particular topic.

Second of all, Kristy can rip into me anytime ... Have you seen her ass? I am her slave!!!!

Flower??! Is that what that is? I thought it was misplaced puncuation! ;)
    's all good, brother!

... And I will not comment on Kristy's ass!
  • Why is everyone bitching about global warming and climate change, when the end comes in just three years anyway.

Sheesh...does no one but ME have the Myan Calendar??
    ;)

Remember Y2K? What a joke. Not so much as a flickering light bulb. The only ones who profited were the doomsayers, especially in the computer industry.

The earth has been around a hell of a lot longer than humans, and it will continue to be here a hell of a lot longer after the last of us ceases to exist for whatever reason.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Why is everyone bitching about global warming and climate change, when the end comes in just three years anyway.

Sheesh...does no one but ME have the Myan Calendar??
    ;)

Remember Y2K? What a joke. Not so much as a flickering light bulb. The only ones who profited were the doomsayers, especially in the computer industry.

The earth has been around a hell of a lot longer than humans, and it will continue to be here a hell of a lot longer after the last of us ceases to exist for whatever reason.

Also known as Sarah Palin Becomes President... and she's going to run in 2012... where do I get said Mayan calendar?
  • AJ's post reminds me of that great philosopher, one time lefty pitcher, and all around great pot-head Bill "The spaceman" Lee. He had what he called the "Frozen Iceball Theory" for critical situations where he was unsure whay to do. It goes something like this:

In several millennia the sun will explode, burning the Earth's surface to a cinder, after which it will cool until it becomes little more than frozen iceball hurtling through the vastness of space. I will have been dead for untold centuries by that point, so no one will much give a DAMN what I decide to do right now.

Oh, but I give a damn that my daughter has put up four straight shut outs in her House League Soccer season.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Oh, but I give a damn that my daughter has put up four straight shut outs in her House League Soccer season.
    yeh but can she keep the shutout streak going until said sun explodes?

obviously much better at sports than dad... :)
  • Actually the sun won't explode, it's not massive enough for that. It will become a white dwarf. When the sun does switch mode from primary fusing hydrogen into helium to fusing helium into heavier elements, it will become a red giant and will expand it's outer shell (surface) very close to the Earth orbit. At that point the Earth will die. But we still have millions of years unless our math is totally wrong. Global warming a bit more pressing. And the difference is we can do something about global warming. Or we can decide to keep doing what we are doing... we will find out if we were right or wrong either way.
  • Calendyr wrote: »
    Global warming a bit more pressing. And the difference is we can do something about global warming. Or we can decide to keep doing what we are doing... we will find out if we were right or wrong either way.

Yes, but at what financial cost?!? Even a GHG reduction sufficient to reduce temps by 1 degree can been shown to be extremely detrimental to our economic way of life. The ROI for what the Warmists are demanding is untenable. There are better options out there. Climate change is not about saving the planet, it is about controlling populations. No thanks.
  • compuease wrote: »
    yeh but can she keep the shutout streak going until said sun explodes?

Maybe, but you and I won't be around to find out.

obviously much better at sports than Mom... :)

FYP . . . she can already out-drive her Mother, but she shows little interest in golf, other than the range.