Dragon's den

13»

Comments

• Also I would like to know how you have 3 million in sales and not make any money, like come on!.
  • Here weeeeeeee goooooooooooooooo!:D
  • *** your a certified 6 on the nut bar scale***

rofl

Another Kevin line that delivers:wink2:
  • do they ever have a follow-up show to see how some of these business ideas worked out? Have any of these businesses actually done well? See how the sudoko guy ends up.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    do they ever have a follow-up show to see how some of these business ideas worked out? Have any of these businesses actually done well? See how the sudoko guy ends up.

Ya they sometimes have segments in some episodes showing past businesses and how they are doing.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    do they ever have a follow-up show to see how some of these business ideas worked out? Have any of these businesses actually done well? See how the sudoko guy ends up.

2 of my clients went on the show

one took the offer from Arlene and has done very well. Expanding their business outside Canada now

The other idea was declined, but he still is flogging his product as best he can
  • Oh oh

Jeff Widderich appeared to have walked away with a $150,000 deal on CBC's Dragons' Den Wednesday night, but the Victoria game developer is still waiting for the investment cash promised.

Widderich, who pitched the five Dragons on his numbers game -- Str8ts -- had four of the five fighting over themselves to invest in the Sudoko-like game. But seven months after that episode was taped, the entrepreneur says he is still going it alone.

Widderich, who was born in Toronto and educated in Germany, had been looking for $50,000 for a five per cent share of royalties from his game, which appears in newspapers, magazines and as iPad and iPhone applications.

He was offered $150,000 for 10 per cent of royalties from the Dragon team of Jim Treliving, Brett Wilson and Kevin O'Leary.
    After the show, Widderich said he underwent a vigorous due-diligence process as the Dragons investigated his business and its potential. And while he said they are still keen, he was told they were going to stand on the sidelines to see how things progressed before the money would start flowing.

"We did all that work, a massive amount of work with forecasting and business plans, but basically at the end of the day they said they want to invest in me but they want to see it as a success," said Widderich. "So it went a bit sideways but they are still hovering in position."
    And it was not unexpected. "I did my homework and spoke with people who had been on [the show] and the general consensus was it's next to impossible to complete the deal," he said. "I mean, they are super busy, they are running empires that are sucking the life out of them."
    But while it may not yet have landed him the money he needed to "take his game viral" and compete with the massive Sudoku market and break down the walls in North America, Widderich said the experience was the best thing he could have done.

Now when he tries to convince a newspaper to pick up the game and run with it, he simply sends them a clip of the show, which clearly showed the interest of four savvy and seasoned investors.
    "The experience was priceless, what's happened to us over the last couple of days -- we've been swamped -- it will take me two weeks to go through all of these emails," he said.

At this point, Widderich estimates his game is in front of about 10 million sets of eyes around the world with good exposure especially in Germany, Switzerland and Lebanon.

In Germany the puzzle is carried by Süddeutsche Zeitung, a German national subscription daily newspaper with 1.1 million readers. Widderich and his London-based partner, Andrew Stuart, say they are making a living off the game.

The game itself is set up much like Sudoku, though it looks more like a crossword. Rows and columns are divided into compartments of white squares to be filled in with single numbers that in a line make a straight -- a set of numbers with no gaps, though they can be in any order.