Big 3 advertisement

13»

Comments

• BBC Z wrote: »

To be fair, the UAW has said they expect to honour their current contract, and everything is on the table in 2011. You would have been more accurate to say, "Good going Republicans." Where was this kind of backbone when it came to giving $$$ to Lehmann Bros., or AIG? All of a sudden, when it's not THEIR pals with the "shorts", they remember their alleged "principles"? Nope, sorry, this is just more petty political games that are even scummier than what transpired in Ottawa last week. This time you're wrong, Z . . .
  • Here's an interesting article about "American" cars. Makes points on both sides of the argument about what constitutes an American vs Japanese car, and has some quality comments as well.

What makes a car American? - CNN.com
  • This time you're wrong, Z . . .

Theres no fallacy and saying that we'll negotiate in 2011 when it's obvious the company won't survive until then?
  • No more so than when the government sends truckloads of cash down wall street, but suddenly thinks it can decide who is to blame for the auto industries woes. I did not hear many Republicans preaching about how the investment execs had to restructure their contracts BEFORE getting any $$$. For the record, I am in favour of NO $$$ for ANYBODY. Short term pain in exchange for a quicker recovery on the other end. All this crap is just going to prolong the inevitable, and keep the markets in a state of uncertainty for longer. Thats never a good thing.
  • At some point, you have to draw the line in the sand because you can't bail everyone out..
  • My point exactly. Either everybody gets the $$$, or nobody does. Since the tax base CANNOT fund EVERYONE, NOBODY gets shit!!!
  • Recap:

- Caddy says the big 3 are currently in a bad spot because of the financials and what they have done to the lending market.

- a Raft of idiots say, "Nooooo, Toyota is awesome and that is why they are so healthy!!!! Lets send all of our monies to Japan because the Japanese can do no wrong."

- Caddy sez, "You are sheep who need to think for yourselves instead of puking out what the media feeds you. It is not just the Domestic automotive that is in trouble"

Update:

Toyota in Talks for Japan Government Loan
  • Heard that on the radio this a.m. Gave me a little chuckle . . . that is, until I realized it's likely they'll be pulling that shit over here, too. And sooner rather than later, I'll wager . . .
  • cadillac wrote: »
    - Caddy sez, "You are sheep who need to think for yourselves instead of puking out what the media feeds you. It is not just the Domestic automotive that is in trouble"

Update:

Toyota in Talks for Japan Government Loan

Did you even read the article? It's Toyota Financial (their lending arm) not their manufacturing arm.

Although TMMC also reported a loss, it's their 1st loss in 60 years. Unlike GM and the likes that a spewing $ every year.
    AP wrote:
    Toyota is still faring better than General Motors and Chrysler, which together have received $17.4 billion in emergency loans from the U.S. government, and asked for an additional $21.6 billion in aid last month

Ask moose how his GM is running ;)
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Did you even read the article? It's Toyota Financial (their lending arm) not their manufacturing arm.

Although TMMC also reported a loss, it's their 1st loss in 60 years. Unlike GM and the likes that a spewing $ every year.

Ask moose how his GM is running ;)

LOL. Bailout money is bailout money. It doesn't make a difference whether you put the load in my right or left hand.

I am sure that Mooses GM is running like piece of garbage. At every opportunity he proudly shouts from the rooftops how much of a cheap bastard he is so he likely hasn't spent a nickel in maintenance on it since the day it left the lot.
  • Where the Big 3 are now, the foreign manufacturers will be in a generation or two. The main reason they aren't is that they do not yet have the legacy costs that are currently a millstone around the neck of those companies. They may not be AS screwed, but they will be heading there.
  • Time for another update :D

Are we at 8.5 MILLION recalls now? Anyone still banging on the "Imports are better quality" drum?

US probes into Toyota recall Fiasco
  • US government probe is more about optics, and protectionist "Buy American" B.S. than any concern for public safety. You probably have a sticker on your bumper about buying "foreign" correlating to unemployment, too, don't ya Caddie?
  • Milo wrote: »
    US government probe is more about optics, and protectionist "Buy American" B.S. than any concern for public safety. You probably have a sticker on your bumper about buying "foreign" correlating to unemployment, too, don't ya Caddie?

Sorry, no sticker on my car.

I just deal locally for every thing I can possible buy local. As I spend my money in the local store I tell them I am paying a few dollars more to buy from them so I can keep my business in town and we can all support one another. In turn they all come to see me when they are in the market for a vehicle.

Just simple "Old School" good business practice. It used to always be this way before the "ME" generation came to town.
    Time for another update :D

Are we at 8.5 MILLION recalls now? Anyone still banging on the "Imports are better quality" drum?

US probes into Toyota recall Fiasco

Are you serious that you believe American cars are equal in quality to Toyota cars?
    Sorry, no sticker on my car.

I just deal locally for every thing I can possible buy local. As I spend my money in the local store I tell them I am paying a few dollars more to buy from them so I can keep my business in town and we can all support one another. In turn they all come to see me when they are in the market for a vehicle.

Just simple "Old School" good business practice. It used to always be this way before the "ME" generation came to town.

You mean the "ME" generation types building Corollas in Woodstock, or Civics in Alliston. Gone are the days when every "foreign" automaker shipped their inventory here, rather than employ "local" workers. I believe in supporting local business as much as anybody, but I also believe in getting value for my $$$. This past year, that menat buying my Nissan Cube. Previously, I have purchased Chryslers, Pontiac, and even an AMC vehicle. So what? All the automakers have quality issues. Again, so what?

Oh, and GTA? Certain "American" car lines ARE better than their "Japanese" equivalents. Do a little digging, it won't be hard to find results.
  • Like what? The life span of import cars is still much longer than a similar domestic. The only area where domestics are still dominating is the truck market where the import guys are just rebranding domestics.
  • Just off the top, The Chrysler 300C won two years in a row for Full sized sedan (05/06?), the Cadillac CTS won in the luxo category recently, and the Vette wins regularly in the preformance car category, too. C&D top tens, iirc.
  • grand scheme of things

ford > GM + chryler + imports

/thread.
  • Woodstock builds the Rav4...Cambridge builds the Corolla/Matrix/Lexus RX.

As for "out of a job yet, still buying foreign" crap, 85% of Corollas/Matrix sold in Canada were made in Canada and also Toyota did not lay off a single person during all of that recession crap that went on, unlike some of the other "American" companies.

And yes as I build the cars, I believe them to be of very high quality, especially the many quality control tools/people that are all over the plants.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    I can tell you that 100k/yr is not really enough to buy a modest house (seriously modest: mortgage was 125k) a used-car payment, a small renovation loan (30k) and then all the costs associated with a family of four living reasonably, note: not extravagantly, just reasonably.

I disagree with this. Loads of people have done more with less. Though, to make 100k/yr in a hourly position, even if it is $30/hr, you have to work a ton of hours. Not worth it in my opinion.
    C&D top tens, iirc.

Lol @ Car and Driver payolaments.
  • Lol @ Car and Driver payolaments.

Yup, and most of those bags are filled with Yen . . .

Look there are good and bad models/quality issues on all fronts in the car industry. People need to get over this "us" v. "them" crap. Like Walt Kelly said, "We have met the enemy, and it is us".
  • From what I heard, GM uses the same gas pedals as well
  • CompleXEH wrote: »
    From what I heard, GM uses the same gas pedals as well

QFT. Matrix = Vibe

Thought the Ford issue was for non-NA models (ie Asian market only).
    QFT. Matrix = Vibe

Thought the Ford issue was for non-NA models (ie Asian market only).

lol yes I know this