Ontario Street Racing Law

124»

Comments

• stpboy wrote: »
    Sooo did anyone sign the petition? I did.

stp

I signed it. It's right to the point on the biggest issue.
  • Perhaps it would be better if it was considered a criminal offence. Then you wouldn't have people complaining about the HTA. And for those that are concerned about the police being judge/jury/executioner consider that your vehicle can be towed for parking, let alone driving recklessly.

Can you imagine the fallout if a police officer let a dangerous driver go with their vehicle and the driver proceeded to kill someone? It would be worse than when police conduct their hish speed pursuits.

As long as police are held accountable to when they use these powers I really don't have a problem with them.

PS. And to the person who kept posting that link with regards to car enthusiasts and street racers being the same, those were the words of the reporter, not a police official so it is totally irrelevant.

Also I'm glad that several Americans that thought they could race while they were in town for Caribana got dinged, this'll teach them a little respect for local authority.
  • You can punish them without taking away the car for an entire week. Even drunk drivers don't get that punishment. No one has yet argued why a 24 hour road side license suspension and forced towing of the vehicle isn't good enough. You could argue this is still against your rights but I would say it's a moderate violation with precidence (drunk drivers).

The reporter was making a statement of fact, they do see them as one in the same and if you read more articles you would come to the same conclusion. There are articles the police feed the media all the time where the headline states there was a crackdown on street racing but the body of the article does not back it up. Somehow illegal profiled stops that result in a number of minor traffic offenses are reported as a successful crackdown on street racing. No one was caught street racing. They are excusing thier illegal actions in the name of the great fight and making your beleive they are actually tackling the street racing problem when all the while they are just profiling young drivers in modified cars and violating thier rights. You the public have no idea you are being misdirected nor do you care.

http://www.cbc.ca/ottawa/story/ot-streetracers20060621.html

TheRecord.com - Local - Nine vehicles pulled off local roads during provincewide crackdown on street racing

This one was actually cleaned up after I informed the Editor in Cheif of the paper that the title was fraudulant (it was 2x as long praising the crackdown). It read very much like the first one. Good on her. She also admitted that she hadn't thought about it either but agreed. But I still only see regular offenses here.... absolutely no one was caught street racing. Yet you all slept better that night.

"Perhaps it would be better if it was considered a criminal offence."

Oh it's already been proposed by the police.

"As long as police are held accountable to when they use these powers I really don't have a problem with them. "

They aren't. You support them because they are "cracking down on street racing."
  • "As long as police are held accountable to when they use these powers I really don't have a problem with them. "

They aren't.

***and that's a shame

You support them because they are "cracking down on street racing."

***I support them because of the 4th reason for a justice system (which hasn't been mentioned yet), the public has to believe in it. Not impounding the vehicle would leave me less than feeling secure in the system (and that causes the public to take the law into their own hands).

While I don't support your vehicle for being impounded for having 17" rims, I am glad to hear that a person who drives their vehicle at excessive speeds, won't be (for at least a week)once caught. I really don't care whether a person is racing or driving by themselves at excess speeds. The reality of the situation is that at it is more likely that at those speeds serious harm will be caused and not just to the driver. There are tracks where you can drive at whatever speed you can get your vehicle to go at, the 401 isn't one of them.