Nintendo Wii shortage?

Comments

• For what it's worth Mark, I understand what you're saying and if things were different (read: Money was not an issue) I would likely do the same but, as I said...call me selfish, my number 1 priority is giving my family the best that I possibly can and money is a huge issue. So if buying at Wal-mart can help Wal-mart it'll be. Everyone deserves a chance to succeed at whatever it is they want to do and it is very unfortunate that these big box stores are forcing some people out of business but this is a trend that is a direct result of us the "consumer" and Mom & Pop shops will have to find a way to coexist if they are in direct competition with stores like Wal-Mart, etc. or they will dry up.
    My point was simply that these stores are not a lose/lose for everyone, for the avergae consumer they are really a blessing.
  • Big E wrote: »
    I hear Wal-mart is hiring!
    Mom & Pop can work the door :)

/g2
  • g2 wrote: »
    Best Buy <shudder>, Futureshop <shudder>, Walmart <meh>

Quote me a [regular] price on electronics at Best Buy/Futureshop... and I'll find it somewhere 20% cheaper. Easy.

How do you think they can afford to have 20 sales associates looking over your shoulder?

[end thread jack]

/g2

Agree!

asdfals;kfjaw
    Who is it lose/lose for? Just owners of small business as far as I see it? Certainly not for US the consumers or people looking for jobs! We just want lower prices and a job. I'm sorry call me selfish but if I can get the same product from Wal-mart (who employs 100's of people per store I'm guessing), let's say that cd for $11 and the Mom & Pop shop (who employ themselves and maybe 1 or 2 others?) sells it for $12, screw Mom & Pop. I'm not here to support Mom & Pop. I want the best price possible period. It's the going trend, we want everything in one store with free parking...gone are the days of paying for downtown parking and walking around shopping all day in this little store and that. Mom & Pop can retire or find another job.....I hear Wal-mart is hiring!

It is lose/lose for everybody.

Do you support child labour?

I mean you can get shoes and clothes from the 3rd world for a fraction of the cost? Screw moral practices....I want to save 3 dollars on my $50 shoes. ;)

But enough about Wal-mart and mom and pop's...back to Wii's.
  • BigChrisEl wrote: »

Put your name on reserve for a Wii at EBgames. When they get "yours", they'll call you. I placed my order one Saturday morning (a week after launch) and got the call that afternoon.

Just stay away from Tiger Woods. It's TOO much like real golf. Very frustrating!(Damn slice!)

Johnnie
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Just stay away from Tiger Woods. It's TOO much like real golf. Very frustrating!(Damn slice!)

Most true thing ever posted anywhere.

Mark
    It is lose/lose for everybody.

I disagree, how is it a lose situation for me the consumer. I get the same product at a better price, ie: I win! I like winning :)
    BigChrisEl wrote: »
    Do you support child labour?

Do you mean the kind where my kids wash my car, yes I fully support that ;) Or the kind were children in 3rd world countries are taken advantage of...in this case absolutely not but I do not believe Wal-mart uses child labour?
    I mean you can get shoes and clothes from the 3rd world for a fraction of the cost? Screw moral practices....I want to save 3 dollars on my $50 shoes. ;)

I just buy the product at the best price I can find, if the product itself is made using child labour then what does it matter where you bought it? If I could do anything to support an anti-child labour campaign I would but when I prioritize where my budget for donations goes child labour is not near the top, things like MS (I have family members with MS), Cancer (had family members die from it), sick kids, etc. to me are far more important.

here, here!!!! So where's the best place to look for a Wii at the best price? ;)
    Put your name on reserve for a Wii at EBgames. When they get "yours", they'll call you. I placed my order one Saturday morning (a week after launch) and got the call that afternoon.Johnnie

cool, do you do this on-line or just call a store?

E.
    The Source is selling bundles with an extra control and a 2 Gb card right now.

This bundle is $389.97 which includes the console, an extra remote and a 2GB SD card, is this a good deal?
  • My immediate response is... AH! The Source is the only store with prices higher than Futureshop and Best Buy. But I double checked first...

Console is $280 at BestBuy. Extra remote is $45 at BestBuy. 2GB SD card is $20 at CanadaComputers.

So yeah. The AH! is applicable.

/g2
  • g2 wrote: »
    My immediate response is... AH! The Source is the only store with prices higher than Futureshop and Best Buy. But I double checked first...

Console is $280 at BestBuy. Extra remote is $45 at BestBuy. 2GB SD card is $20 at CanadaComputers.

So yeah. The AH! is applicable.

/g2

That depends on the quality of the SD card tho? It appears to be a Sandisk which retails for $80 at futureshop? But I hear ya and I'm sure I can get a quality SD card cheaper there seems to be a lot around the $40-60 mark with brand names I can trust? But $389.97 all together if in stock versus travelling to multiple stores for potentially $345-405 depending on memory price doesn't seem too bad? :)
  • Ok, well whether or not I got the best deal is unclear but I figured I may as well order this just to have it ready for the kids so I took The Source deal (thanks Chris). It appears to come with this SD card:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10063101&catid=11433

and at $389.97 with the SD card, an extra Wii controller and delivery to my door sometime before next Friday I certainly don't think it's a bad deal. We use a lot of SD cards here at work and always use SanDisk without failure so I trust them. I bought a cheapo card for my camera and it died after a year so I don't mind paying a bit more for better quality.
    That depends on the quality of the SD card tho? It appears to be a Sandisk which retails for $80 at futureshop? But I hear ya and I'm sure I can get a quality SD card cheaper there seems to be a lot around the $40-60 mark with brand names I can trust? But $389.97 all together if in stock versus travelling to multiple stores for potentially $345-405 depending on memory price doesn't seem too bad? :)

Don't ever bother buying any type of flash memory from the big box stores. Their prices are highly inflated. You can get the same SD Card at Canada Computers for $44.99 where as FS/BB will be charging $59.99+
    This bundle is $389.97 which includes the console, an extra remote and a 2GB SD card, is this a good deal?

Considering how much time I have wasted looking for this console. 389 is a great deal.

I have just got off the phone with them. Bought the second last one. Shipping early next week.

Be quick if you want one!
  • If anyone is needing extra Nunchuks, they are available at Amazon.ca for $26.99
    http://www.amazon.ca/Nunchuck-Controller-Nunchuk-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000IMYKQ0/ref=sr_1_1/701-0139942-5392351?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1175706719&sr=8-1
    $2 more than regular price of $24.99, but if you order another item thats $12.01 or more you can free shipping, so its not that bad
  • Dead Money wrote: »
    Considering how much time I have wasted looking for this console. 389 is a great deal.

I have just got off the phone with them. Bought the second last one. Shipping early next week.

Be quick if you want one!

Sweet I must have got the third last one ;)

and here after all my talk about buying the cheapest ;) I still think this is a great deal and agree driving around trying to find a cheaper place with stuff in stock can end up costing more.
    I disagree, how is it a lose situation for me the consumer. I get the same product at a better price, ie: I win! I like winning :)

Do you mean the kind where my kids wash my car, yes I fully support that ;) Or the kind were children in 3rd world countries are taken advantage of...in this case absolutely not but I do not believe Wal-mart uses child labour?

I just buy the product at the best price I can find, if the product itself is made using child labour then what does it matter where you bought it? If I could do anything to support an anti-child labour campaign I would but when I prioritize where my budget for donations goes child labour is not near the top, things like MS (I have family members with MS), Cancer (had family members die from it), sick kids, etc. to me are far more important.

here, here!!!! So where's the best place to look for a Wii at the best price? ;)

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2004/03/08/363689/index.htm

http://www.aflcio.org/corporatewatch/walmart/walmart_4.cfm

You can decide.

Very interesting and eye opening, I had not seen this before, thanks for posting. You know what I wish....I wish Wal-mart would get into the cable and phone business maybe then Rogers and Bell could be brought down to earth?
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Don't ever bother buying any type of flash memory from the big box stores. Their prices are highly inflated. You can get the same SD Card at Canada Computers for $44.99 where as FS/BB will be charging $59.99+
    My thoughts exactly. However, if something is $45 at Canada Computers, then $60 is the price at FS/BB when it's on sale!

/g2

FYI. My bundle came with Raving Rabbits and the Joytech sports package. I returned them both when I picked it up and just kept on the console.

I assume you will need the extra remote so just return the SD card.
    Ok, well whether or not I got the best deal is unclear but I figured I may as well order this just to have it ready for the kids.

Sweet, now Mark has another reason to come over and terrorize your kids!
  • my number is

1320 0463 0018 7529

Al
  • DataMn wrote: »
    my number is

1320 0463 0018 7529

Al
    Yay!

We're Wii buddies!

Allright all.... where's the rest of you? Tim? Wes? BigE?

mark

P.S. For potential "game sharing" I have the following games

Tiger Woods
    Rayman Ravin Rabbids
    Red Steel
    Trauma Centre
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance
    Wii Play
    Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Sweet, now Mark has another reason to come over and terrorize your kids!

LOL, somehow Mark is still going to be flying off the top of my couch when Wii wrestling comes out?
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Yay!

We're Wii buddies!

Allright all.... where's the rest of you? Tim? Wes? BigE?

mark

Well, although I should receive mine next week, it'll be in the box until the kids finish school in June...and even then unless their marks stay at the same level they won't get it (mind you if for some reason they f-up in school it'll change to a Christmas present so the little buggers will still get it?)...point is I won't have a number until at least June! :(
    LOL, somehow Mark is still going to be flying off the top of my couch when Wii wrestling comes out?

Hey now... it may be necessary! Check out this video of a VERY early wii version of Smackdown vs. Raw 2008.... I'm already REALLY excited.

Mark

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/04/02/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2008-could-bring-fun-wrestling-games-back-t/
  • Mark, you crack me up!
  • And I scare you children... well.. one of them ;)
  • Mark is right!!!!!!!!

Activision CEO Mike Griffiths speaking during a Q3 2007 Preliminary Financial Results Conference Call

"The key difference in our strategy versus the prior cycle, is that in addition to full support on Sony and Microsoft platforms, we will aggressively target the Nintendo platforms consistent with our multi-platform strategy and Nintendo's expected growth. In fiscal 2008, we will double our offerings on the DS and the Wii, including Spider-Man, Shrek, Transformers, and Guitar Hero."