Comments

• Rumours have it that they're holding back shipment so they can start off their quarter on a good note, profit wise. I think about mid to late April you'll see them in stock everywhere.

I just picked up mine yesterday at The Source. They had an online Special Monday to call in and it'd be shipped within a few days. I got my extra remote from EB and nunchuk from FS as well this week. No waiting in line at 6am for me!

If anyone is still looking for a Wii still, Toy's R Us is getting a shipment tomorrow, about 20 per store. They've been doing this for the every other week for the past month or so.
  • Dude! We should post our wii-numbers so all our Mii's can migrate...

And yes.. that will make sense to anyone with a Wii

Mark
  • TiMSuM wrote: »
    Rumours have it that they're holding back shipment so they can start off their quarter on a good note, profit wise. I think about mid to late April you'll see them in stock everywhere.

I just picked up mine yesterday at The Source. They had an online Special Monday to call in and it'd be shipped within a few days. I got my extra remote from EB and nunchuk from FS as well this week. No waiting in line at 6am for me!

If anyone is still looking for a Wii still, Toy's R Us is getting a shipment tomorrow, about 20 per store. They've been doing this for the every other week for the past month or so.

Thanks for the info as I have been looking high and low for a Wii. If any one else has any tips on how to get one please let me know.
  • Also check out www.consolewatch.com
    It has live updates of online retailers that have the system/accessories in stock.

The redflagdeals forum is pretty good too for information on getting one.

Has anyone used the component cables for the Wii? Does it make much of a difference? And..any game recommendations?
  • I really like the Tiger woods...

Other games:
    Zelda
    Trauma Centre
    Warioware (fun multi-player)
    Rayman Ravin Rabbids (ditto)

I haven't played much, but Madden is supposed to be great.

As for the Virtual Console, I can highly reccommend
    Mark Kart 64
    Ocarina Of Time (Legend of Zelda)
    Kid Icarus ( I love this game, but it's HARD)

Mark
  • TiMSuM wrote: »
    Has anyone used the component cables for the Wii? Does it make much of a difference? And..any game recommendations?

I just got my wii last week...and I have to say after about 3 days playing with the cables that come with...the component ones are much better. Sharper detail...can see background details more clearly...head and shoulders about the regular cables. if you have a HD tv then get them for sure.

as for Marks suggestion about posting the Wii numbers so out mii's can migrate is a great Idea I think
  • The Source is selling bundles with an extra control and a 2 Gb card right now.
  • What's the SD card for?
  • The Wii has a set amount of memory in it... not much though, I think it's a flash drive, something like 512 megs?

The SD card allows you to save games / characters / Mii's to it, and thereby transport it to other Wii's....

Mark
  • Oh.. well, here's my Wii number, if you're gonna add me, let me know so strange people don't just start popping up

0415 5446 7609 3565

Mark
  • My boys got their mid term report cards yesterday and they kept their average of all A's and B's up...one more term to go and if they can maintain they'll be Wii-ing in June! (If they can get me off the thing hehe)
  • Big E wrote: »
    My boys got their mid term report cards yesterday and they kept their average of all A's and B's up...one more term to go and if they can maintain they'll be Wii-ing in June! (If they can get me off the thing hehe)

So you have it already. Otherwise they will be Wii-ing sometime in Sept.
  • Smart money says that there will be an influx of Wii's in the next week or so...

Mark
  • moose wrote: »
    I disagree. IIRC, elementary school had 3 terms per school year, then July-August off. So the 2nd term must have just ended.

/g2
  • moose wrote: »

I don't have it yet but I will be keeping an eye out from now on looking for one :)

Gonna check Toys'R'Us, Wal-mart, and Zeller's weekly...any other places to keep watching?
  • Best buy, Future Shop, and <shudder> Wal-mart

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Best buy, Future Shop, and <shudder> Wal-mart

Mark
    Best Buy <shudder>, Futureshop <shudder>, Walmart <meh>

Quote me a [regular] price on electronics at Best Buy/Futureshop... and I'll find it somewhere 20% cheaper. Easy.

How do you think they can afford to have 20 sales associates looking over your shoulder?

[end thread jack]

/g2
  • I'd rather pay a bit extra instead of going to wal-mart and selling my soul

Screw wal-mart.. it's the devil

Mark
    I'd rather pay a bit extra instead of going to wal-mart and selling my soul

Screw wal-mart.. it's the devil

Mark
    Why is Walmart the devil? I think it's actually a common misconception that Walmart is evil.

/g2
  • Guelph has a lot of neat little stores downtown....

Walmart opened less than a year ago in Guelph

Ask me in 12 months

Mark
    Guelph has a lot of neat little stores downtown....

Walmart opened less than a year ago in Guelph

Ask me in 12 months

Mark
    So it's not Walmart that is evil. It's big box stores as a whole. My point is it's not fair to point the finger at the biggest of the big.

/g2
  • Well, let's also talk to JOhnnieH who worked there... sure he has some better insight...

Let's not forget their recent "Employee assistance fund" - a fund whereby people in the company can contribute, and can be accessed by those that may require some financial assistance for medical / family needs (e.g. a child requiring surgery / special care).

The total fund topped I think 7 million bucks. The actual family that owns Wal-Mart (the multi billionaires) contribution was 7k - between like 5 of them.

Mark
  • g2 wrote: »
    So it's not Walmart that is evil. It's big box stores as a whole. My point is it's not fair to point the finger at the biggest of the big.

/g2

Wal-marts policies on have the lowest price forces smaller companies out of business. Wal-mart demands special "Wal-mart" prices to get product in their stores.

For example say you make music CD's and it cost you $10 to make, and you sell them for $12 at all stores, Wal-mart will only let you sell your CD's in their stores for $11.

They present you with two options, sell in Wal-mart for reduced price and make a smaller profit but large audience, or sell else where for a larger profit but smaller audience.

Wal-mart does not guarantee sales so they put you to a tough decision.

Say then you decided to sell in Wal-mart. Other stores (mom & pops) can't sell your CD for the same price as they don't make enough money on lower price to stay in business.

Overall it is a lose/lose situation.

I'm sure some one can explain it better.
  • It's not personal it's just business.
  • Who is it lose/lose for? Just owners of small business as far as I see it? Certainly not for US the consumers or people looking for jobs! We just want lower prices and a job. I'm sorry call me selfish but if I can get the same product from Wal-mart (who employs 100's of people per store I'm guessing), let's say that cd for $11 and the Mom & Pop shop (who employ themselves and maybe 1 or 2 others?) sells it for $12, screw Mom & Pop. I'm not here to support Mom & Pop. I want the best price possible period. It's the going trend, we want everything in one store with free parking...gone are the days of paying for downtown parking and walking around shopping all day in this little store and that. Mom & Pop can retire or find another job.....I hear Wal-mart is hiring!
  • Not to mention (and I think "King Mob" Dave can back me up here)

Wal-Mart insists on buying in large, bulk quantities, and when doing so, expect to receive a reduced pricing... say they're selling salt shakers, and you as a manufacturer will sell 100 units at $1 a piece, a M&P (mom and pop) store may buy 300 units, and sell them for $3 a piece (cost = 300, income = 900), Wal-Mart however, will order 2000 units, but expect to buy them at 80 cents, and then sell them at $2 (cost = 1600, profit = 4000).

Basically the same thing you were saying BigChrisE, but on the flip side. Still results in manufacturers having a lower profit / unit, and totally screwing the M&P stores

Mark
  • pokerdro wrote: »
    It's not personal it's just business.
    Exactly.

/g2
  • And FWIW.. I would (and have) paid more for an item just to support the mom and pop stores...

I feel there's a certain intangible with these specialty stores - better service, more personal, and builds better community IMO.

Plus, I hate having to deal with large number of stupid people...

Mark