Announcing Royal XI (April 21, 2012)

Comments

• Let everyone have the "option" to "donate" $10.00 for snacks, drinks and venue.
    I do events as much as twice a week and have had 2 in-depth discussions with police departments directly. They are not interested in stopping these occasional types of events unless a complaint is raised . KW was in a licensed establishment as I remember. This is not allowed by the Liquor Licensing Board. That is who will stop you by way of the local police. We have had two venues warned and subsequently stopped being available.
    There is "technically" no way of making this a paid or ticketed or raked event. The law is specific and at the same time vague enough to stop anything they want to.
    I love the Royal Cup and would play all if work would not cut into my social life.
    We are planning a similar event in the Bradford/Barrie area with smaller and more teams. I will post as plans progress.
  • Yeah and for the record I would never want to move this event to toronto as if it is originally in KW or Milton that is where it stays. I drive 1hr to Orangeville to play in OPT and would never try to change that.

With that being said it would be nice once I bust out to have somewhere to sit, also when people have to get up from the table they are able to do so. No one said anything about rake as that implies someone is profiting.

The additional funds were going into food/drink/venue. A few were talking and saying it would be nice to have a larger venue for 64 people...that was all. Any venues would have pros and cons and it could easily be voted/discussed on here.

I also do not want anyone excluded for a "potential" bust/arrest and that would discussed before.

Peel police have even offered off duty police officers (paid by organizers) to watch over events (if anyone remembers that brampton event that had things go wrong).

The law is looking for people who are trying to profit off of this, not people who are recreational and do a small event every 6 months. For all intensive purposes this site then should be shut down due to the promotion of games through out all of ontario and could be used as evidence.
  • The format is set up for 8 teams. 9 teams is ok and 10 teams is barely workable. Over 10 teams just doesn't work at all. Is it really worth all the discussion over accommodating 8-16 more players? The point is moot anyways unless we have 9-10 teams clamouring to get in - which we haven't had for several Royal Cups.
  • The Kitchener venue was great for the size because it accommodated 10 teams with plants of space for bustouts (extra tables, pool table, bar). If we could find something of that size without the cost, I would fully support it. In regards to running it as a stag, I'm not entirely sure of the legality there either - not saying for sure they're illegal but I have a feeling it's more of a discretion call to not waste resources trying to bust them

If we shuffled some things around in the current location we could probably keep the "scoring" table clear so the side games or flips could use that space, but I agree in an ideal world we'd have a bit more room for people between events.

10 teams worked fine in the bigger venue, we just had 5 Stud tables of 8 and 4 PLO of 10 so the points were a bit skewed but still workable. Also means you don't play 1 other team in the heads up round but not a big issue. I think it works really well with 8 teams and without teams lining up to get in I don't think that should motivate finding a new venue. If we happen to find another suitable one that keeps it rake free which allows us to spread out a bit more like the KW venue that would be nice, but there are a lot of if's there...
  • It's a pity there is no one offering up the use of a barn or industrial unit somewhere. If someone had access to something like that, it would be ideal.
  • moose wrote: »
    It's a pity there is no one offering up the use of a barn or industrial unit somewhere. If someone had access to something like that, it would be ideal.

In the warmer months maybe ya.... But chilly is not ideal

Mark
    It's a pity there is no one offering up the use of a barn or industrial unit somewhere. If someone had access to something like that, it would be ideal.
    DrTyore wrote: »
    In the warmer months maybe ya.... But chilly is not ideal

Mark

Industrial units are normally heated, lol, maybe not barns tho... Wonder if cows play poker?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Industrial units are normally heated, lol, maybe not barns tho... Wonder if cows play poker?

There are several if not more, really really tasteless jokes available in this statement. I'll leave it at that.
  • Keep the Royal Cup as is. 8 teams is perfect. If a slightly more spacious venue can be located in the same price range, great! If not, the current location is fine.

There seems to be a lot of interest in putting together something just like the Royal, but a bit larger and with more amenities. DO THAT TOO!

Rather than try to change the Royal, someone come up with something IN ADDITION TO THE ROYAL, and make that a reality.

/g2
    Wonder if cows play poker?

Well dogs do, so maybe cows do too. :D
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Well dogs do, so maybe cows do too. :D

Donkeys definitely do!
  • .. just popped in here (sorry, been swamped) and thought I'd chime in.

Half of our team (including me) felt that the event was too freaking loud and that there were a few people that overindulged. I'd passed that along to Jeff. The general perspective was that it made the event unpleasant enough that we probably won't participate in the next one.

As I just told Jeff, it's a combination of overindulgence and the small space. The fact that the space is so small makes it difficult to 'get away' and makes the volume even more of a problem.

We'd probably be way keener to come back if it were in a bigger location. As noted above by Big Mike, my first game was in KW and I remember it being a fantastic space -- though I know it's not available. So obviously changing space has a ton of issues associated with it as noted above. Not sure if there is a good solution -- unfortunately I don't know of one.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Donkeys definitely do!

Huh what ?
  • So got a question for all of the teams regarding location. there is a company that i deal with that has a whse, they do not use the office space of the building so it is just sitting empty. I've tossed the idea around with them about letting us use the space for the RC. The space itself is large enough to fit 20 tables comfortably. it has a kitchen and bathrooms, lots of parking. Is 5 min. driving distance from a McD, KFC, Timmy's, Wendy's, etc. Is located in a industrial complex area so very little activity from other business's in the area on the weekend.

Here is what might be deemend as the negatives depending on who you are.. the place is complety empty so we will have to bring our own tables and chairs. the space is located near the Toronto Airport. The owners of the space have not commited a yes yet, they want some reasurrance that no damage will be caused to property.

I know the owners very well and can probably get this space given to us. What is everyones opinion? should i continue to pursue the issue with the owners of the space, or are we not interested?
  • Well I would say we definitely say we have interest, but not sure what to do about tables. We probably can scrape enough chairs but may have to rent tables. Wonder what they would cost apiece?
  • I still think TO is too far.

Mark
  • Wife has contacts in that arena . . . might not be as good now that she is unemployed, but if this goes forward I can have her make inquiries . . .
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I still think TO is too far.

Mark

So TO is too far for the KW crowd but Kitchener wasn't too far for the people coming from TO?
  • westside8 wrote: »
    So TO is too far for the KW crowd but Kitchener wasn't too far for the people coming from TO?

+1

I have no problem driving into the GTA, especially if the venue suits everyone.

Jeff, as for tables we may be able to get enough donated. I would be willing to bring BOTH of mine assuming I could get a vehicle for transportation.
  • Depending where this is I have no issues either. Hopefully this is west end and not east end. One other negative would be no internet. :(
  • crazykoby wrote: »
    So got a question for all of the teams regarding location. there is a company that i deal with that has a whse, they do not use the office space of the building so it is just sitting empty. I've tossed the idea around with them about letting us use the space for the RC. The space itself is large enough to fit 20 tables comfortably. it has a kitchen and bathrooms, lots of parking. Is 5 min. driving distance from a McD, KFC, Timmy's, Wendy's, etc. Is located in a industrial complex area so very little activity from other business's in the area on the weekend.

Here is what might be deemend as the negatives depending on who you are.. the place is complety empty so we will have to bring our own tables and chairs. the space is located near the Toronto Airport. The owners of the space have not commited a yes yet, they want some reasurrance that no damage will be caused to property.

I know the owners very well and can probably get this space given to us. What is everyones opinion? should i continue to pursue the issue with the owners of the space, or are we not interested?

Greg when you say 'Toronto Airport' do you mean Pearson or the Island airport? If its YYZ that's not really Toronto and not all that much further of a drive than Milton.

Jeff would it be possible to use a few tables/chairs from the Milton venue for the day? I know this would pain to move, just exploring options.
  • Maybe I'm just a prick but..

We have an ideal amount of teams and shouldn't expand, a relatively cheap spot (note to self: still want to send some $ to compuease on P* for that) that is central to all the teams, and a venue that is not quite perfect, but pretty damned close.

So we're going to switch? Doesn't make sense in my opinion. Isn't broke, don't fix.

Mark
    Maybe I'm just a prick but..

We have an ideal amount of teams and shouldn't expand, a relatively cheap spot (note to self: still want to send some $ to compuease on P* for that) that is central to all the teams, and a venue that is not quite perfect, but pretty damned close.

So we're going to switch? Doesn't make sense in my opinion. Isn't broke, don't fix.

Mark

It really is too small for 64 players.. Even though I'm real old and my hearing is gone, it is just too loud..
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Greg when you say 'Toronto Airport' do you mean Pearson or the Island airport? If its YYZ that's not really Toronto and not all that much further of a drive than Milton.

Jeff would it be possible to use a few tables/chairs from the Milton venue for the day? I know this would pain to move, just exploring options.

Pearson, walking distance from terminal 3
    It really is too small for 64 players.. Even though I'm real old and my hearing is gone, it is just too loud..

.02c
    Before we officially change the venue, we need to know how many teams will be showing up in April. If its only 6 or 7, then a new hall is not needed. 8 teams or more, then I vote we move.

As for volume, obviously those Loud mouths (myself included at times) needed to remember to be respectful of everyone. Some Moose's STFU chips should do the trick :)
  • Ban Mark. Problem solved.

stfu.jpg
    Ban Mark. Problem solved.

stfu.jpg

Pretty sure Mark is only a part if the problem......
  • Hang on.

If you mean A: Tell Mark to STFU in this thread, no I won't since I still contend the setup now is best.

B: If you mean Mark STFU during the event - not really my style either.

Mark
    If you mean Mark STFU during the event - not really my style either.

You're bitching and moaning about not wanting the venue to change, yet you are part of the problem why we need a new venue.

Mark. I love you like a brother. Seriously, don't take this the wrong way. You know damn well that when you are drunk, you get VERY loud and obnoxious. How many times have we been at a game and someone has had to tell you to settle down? More than you might remember. I think every one of our family members have been woken up from you bellowing over a bad beat or something. Do you know that you actually stand up and SCREAM at the top of your lungs? It's a poker game, not a wrestling match dude

I wasn't even at the Royal this time, but I've nothing but bad things about your yelling and screaming during the event. You weren't the only one, I know, but you got singled out the most.

Open your eyes! There are players would don't want to come to the next RC because of the noise level! This problem is so easily remedied. Just tone down a notch, then maybe we could continue using the current venue.

I talked to Jeff at Buzzards about maybe trying to find some smaller, round tables for the next RC. That might clear up some room and make it easier to move around in there. I'm open to other ideas on how to get more room in there.
  • Mark it's not fun to have you around anymore. You are excessively drunk and obnoxious everytime I see you. Last time you came to my house you wrote swear words on my wall. C'mon.