NL cash hand

2»

Comments

• wow, harsh.. I must say though, that I would have likely not played it much differently.. might have raised after the flop bet, but I definately wouldn't have him on 55..
    though with stakes that high, I would't be seen near the table in the first place!
  • Havent read anything other then the inital post, so forgive me if i reiterate any points that have already been made.

Theres no reason for your opponent to feel you have a big pair in your hand here and its pretty safe he feels your range is pretty wide. With the board being very "one pair friendly" theres a very good chance hes doing this with any PP or even possibly a 5.

Id continue with this hand because i ithink your holding the best hand probably 3/4 times. But how best to proceed. If were ahead, our opponent has 2-3 outs TOPS but when were behind we have 2 outs. Were either way ahead or way behind.

If this is an information checkraise, hes likely going to fold to any sort of substatantial reraise that we make. That would be very bad especially since he only had a couple outs, we want to string him along. Furthermore, a T is likely to either come over the top or rope-a-dope for a turn checkraise.

The problem with just calling is that a big bet on the turn is going to make it difficult to continue. The worst thing we can do in NL is to make bad calls more so then to make the odd bad fold. So perhaps we can come to a sort of compromise between the two.

Hows about a small reraise, a pair'ish hand will call that, a Ten will 3bet allowing us to fold. We can check the turn if checked to confident that even if were giving a free card to a worse hand, its not a big mistake since he only has a couple outs. On the river well have shown weakness causing both worse and better hands to make small to medium sized value bets, allowing us to showdown our hand. Also, I think being able to see our opponents hand at the showdown gives us information that will make us bets down the line.
  • A Call down may be in order. Raising will only lose a bluff. This play is similar to the CR bluff that will cost the cheapest in tourneys.
  • I love your flat call on the flop. On the turn I would shove (I know this is not gonna be agreed with) as in THIS game on this site it will sell your hand as AK. I have been in and seen alot of times where playing your hand in this manner will get a call out of a lot if not all pairs.

This is long term thinking. If you played your hand like this often you will show a profit and a good one at that. These guys love to make big calls and have no problem putting you on a hand they beat. Not all of them are bad and some are outright amazing but If I was you I would be fine with going bust here. Most of the time hes not gonna turn up a ten or a full house so thats what counts.