NL cash hand

$10/$10 NL cash game.  Opponent is new to the table.  You have $1300, he has $1000.

Folded to you in cutoff with KK.  You make it $30.  Both blinds call.

Flop: TT5 rainbow.

Checked to you, you bet $60.  SB raises it to $140.  BB folds.  Your move?

Comments

• reluctant fold
  • If you come back with another 250, he might just pick up on the fact that he's playing for his full stack.

Since you have no read on him and he has no read on you, it's pretty hard for either of you to put the other on a hand. He could be thinking you're trying a standard steal and continuation pattern and he's putting you to the test. Of course he could have a legitimate hand, too.

Calling is the worst option here since if he comes out firing on the turn, your decision is even harder here.

I'd like to see some discussion on the size of the flop bet.
  • His check-raise to $140 screams to me to be a "see where I'm at" bet.  I'll give him credit for a pair, not bigger than KK of course.  I actually like calling here and seeing a turn card without intending to fold the hand barring something crazy.  What would he (typical player) call your preflop bet with?  I have A10 in mind and 55.  If he does have either of these hands, why would he check-raise so early in the pot.  If you don't have a monster you are likely going to fold and he's missed a huge opportuntity to take more of your money. 

Call the flop bet, wait for him to fire another $210 on the turn and raise him up to $500.  The way this hand has been played out thus far, I can't see me folding it.  Am i giving this guy to much credit for trying to be tricky with a medium pair?

stp
  • I call and re-evaluate the turn. This isn't the typical I have a T line but I guess at higher stakes a lot of players are smart enough not to play their big hands so obviously. Still I see no reason he can't CR with any pair or even air on occasion here so i think folding is too weak. Given that you have no read on this player and so no idea how to respond to a CR, and also the strength of your hand (WA/WB) a flop check is also a good option here.
  • Very, very little experience in NL, high limit cash games.  Well none.  So, fwiw, here's some thoughts.

I think it's very unlikely he's c/r holding a ten.  The c/r is giving you a chance to fold early in the hand, and that flop is totally not scary for anyone holding a ten, facing a pre-flop raiser.  The scarier and uncoordinated the board, and the larger the bets, you can have a higher degree of confidence that he doesn't have a monster.

So, I think you want to milk some nice money from him.  A re-raise on the flop screams you have a big overpair and gives him a chance to fold.  Why do that when you have a customer on the line.  There are very few scare cards coming on the turn, so I think protecting your hand here is not required.  So, I call the flop bet.

When he bets out the turn, I'm raising.  The amount depends on how much he bet.  I think his bet size will give you some good clues on what he's holding.  I'd interpret any bet which would scare most players off the pot (you'll need to base this on the type of play at this level), as a I want you to fold your AK bet.  A bet that looks like it wants to get called, I'd min. raise so I can get more of his money and not put too much of mine at risk, if he comes over the top all in.  If he does that, on this sequence, I'd think you'd be getting odds to call, so I believe my min. raise is to get more of his money when I'm ahead.  I'm pretty much losing the most if I'm way behind.

If he makes a very large, I want you to fold bet on the turn, I'd be inclined to call again and see if he will fire one more bullet on the river.  Reminds me of Eric Siedel's favourite hand he recounted on TSN on Sunday where he let Johnny Chan keep betting into him when he knew he had the best hand.

I'd be laying odds of 10 to 1 you got this guy's whole stack at some point and you're really not sure that you took the best line.

Cheers
    Magi
  • Great comments so far guys.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I love this forum.

To review:
    $10/$10 NL cash game.  Opponent is new to the table.  You have $1300, he has $1000.

Checked to you, you bet $60.  SB raises it to $140.  BB folds.

I couldn't put him on a ten at this point.  And I didn't want to give my hand away.  So, I just called.

The turn brought a jack.  SB led out for $280.  Now what?
  • No idea. I prboably call down and donk off some money just because a lot of players don't CR a ten here. That is shaky logic at best, I hate both options (raising sucks though). I guess it might depend on how aggressive the average player in the game is, I wouldn't calll you weak-tight for folding. Is there anything at all you can tell us about villian? This is online/live?
  • I like your play so far. And I'd agree that a ten seems doubtful (but I don't play a lot of NL cash games). Villain's already put close to half his chips in the pot. The J starts to put some draws on the board, I'm not really liking it if a KQJ9 fall on the river. If your opponent is on an underpair, he's going to hate those cards too. Assuming you still don't think your opponent has a T, he either has a smaller pair he's beginning to get worried about, paired his J, has some sort of draw, or is still on a bluff with nothing. Against the first 2, I think pushing now is the way to go in case an ugly river card falls to kill your action, and against the draw, I want to either get rid of him, or give him an ugly price to go with it. So vs. those 3 I think you push. If you think he has total air, you could call, and hope he'll fire again on the river (which I wouldn't count on).
  • SirWatts wrote:
    This is online/live?

Well, we ARE in online poker talk ...

I don't think the J makes a big difference.  You are only worried about JJ after the turn.  Everything else is the same.  He may have picked up a draw, but otherwise I don't see a much different scenario than the flop.  Perhaps he has picked up a draw as well so you might want to hammer him out of the pot at this point.
  • magithighs wrote:
    Very, very little experience in NL, high limit cash games.  Well none.   So, fwiw, here's some thoughts.

I think it's very unlikely he's c/r holding a ten.  The c/r is giving you a chance to fold early in the hand, and that flop is totally not scary for anyone holding a ten, facing a pre-flop raiser.  The scarier and uncoordinated the board, and the larger the bets, you can have a higher degree of confidence that he doesn't have a monster.

So, I think you want to milk some nice money from him.  A re-raise on the flop screams you have a big overpair and gives him a chance to fold.  Why do that when you have a customer on the line.  There are very few scare cards coming on the turn, so I think protecting your hand here is not required.  So, I call the flop bet.

When he bets out the turn, I'm raising.  The amount depends on how much he bet.  I think his bet size will give you some good clues on what he's holding.  I'd interpret any bet which would scare most players off the pot (you'll need to base this on the type of play at this level), as a I want you to fold your AK bet.  A bet that looks like it wants to get called, I'd min. raise so I can get more of his money and not put too much of mine at risk, if he comes over the top all in.  If he does that, on this sequence, I'd think you'd be getting odds to call, so I believe my min. raise is to get more of his money when I'm ahead.  I'm pretty much losing the most if I'm way behind.

If he makes a very large, I want you to fold bet on the turn, I'd be inclined to call again and see if he will fire one more bullet on the river.  Reminds me of Eric Siedel's favourite hand he recounted on TSN on Sunday where he let Johnny Chan keep betting into him when he knew he had the best hand.
    I'd be laying odds of 10 to 1 you got this guy's whole stack at some point and you're really not sure that you took the best line.

Cheers
    Magi
  • all_aces wrote:
    Great comments so far guys. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love this forum.

To review:
    $10/$10 NL cash game. Opponent is new to the table. You have $1300, he has $1000.

Folded to you in cutoff with KK. You make it $30. Both blinds call.

Checked to you, you bet $60. SB raises it to $140. BB folds.

I couldn't put him on a ten at this point. And I didn't want to give my hand away. So, I just called.

The turn brought a jack. SB led out for $280. Now what?

Tough spot. I would probably call again with the intention of calling on the river.

In a tournament, I'd be inclined to move all-in on the turn (and would consider re-raising the flop), but in a cash game your goal is to maximize your $ win with strong hands without fear of going broke. Ed Miller makes this point most clearly:

"The goal of no-limit is to induce players with weaker hands than yours to call (or make) large bets. You aren't trying to push people off hands. You aren't trying to run everyone out of pots. You want a good hand, and you want someone to call you."

I like your (natural looking) flop bet and then your call on the flop. You are way ahead or way behind. Folding on the flop would not be all that crazy, but I'm inclined to agree with everyone who has put the (unknown) opponent on not having a T (or 55).

Calling the turn bet seems the most reasonable to me. Raising right now will probably only let your opponent get away from a worse hand than Kings-up, or force you to lose the maximum in the less likely case that you really are beat.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

ScottyZ
  • First, what site spreads a 10/10 game?

3 handed the check raise is a typical bluff move on a paired board. I would just call in this spot. Very tough turn play given that you have absolutely no read on this guy, why I prefer live play for NL cash, even when you first sit down you can have some level of read on a player pretty quickly at times.

As for what I would do on the turn and the river, I would take a page out of Doyle's book for this hand. Basically goes like this...if he's lucky enough to be holding a ten or JJ, you pay him off because in the long run you are way ahead of his range here. That being said, if you mini raise the turn and he isn't holding a ten or jacks then you are screaming that you have the ten, your only choice is to smooth call as you have position and can try and maximize the river. If he is drawing he has incorrect odds regardless given his remaining stack and you want to give him opportunity to bluff into you on the river. Not saying that you don't lose 1k here at times, but that's poker.
  • The one thing I think we can agree on is that calling is much better than raising because we need to let him bluff again when he's behind, since he probably has 2-3 outs at best. Raising at any point kills our action from hands we beat and loses more when we're behind
  • stpboy wrote:

Call the flop bet, wait for him to fire another $210 on the turn and raise him up to $500.  The way this hand has been played out thus far, I can't see me folding it.  Am i giving this guy to much credit for trying to be tricky with a medium pair?
    stp

What I would do, above. This is of course easier said than done. If he thinks your preflop bet is a pure steal he could have very well called with pretty much anything, a suited ten comes to mind. One with a weak kicker, lets say 107s. I'm starting to question myself here as I'm remembering something someone said once. I'll try and quote it properly:
    Assume your opponent is typical until they prove you otherwise

This is tough considering we know absolutely nothing and we have a monster AND his play isn't what I would call conventional.

stp
  • The one thing I think we can agree on is that calling is much better than raising because we need to let him bluff again when he's behind

Doesn't this depend entirely on the player?  Suppose villain is a semi-weak player with a semi-legitimate hand, who overvalues hands and will make some marginal calls.  I'd guess he's more likely to make a bad call then betting out again if another scare card falls (let's say he has something like 99-66).  If he's an utter LAG, I totally agree with your assessment though.  He's going to bet more of his weak hands on bluffs than he'd call with, and you don't want to shut him down.   I guess player B is more likely than player A at 10-10NL (and from the way the hand has played out so far), but there are always exceptions...
  • True, given how he's played the hand and the fact that it's 10/10 NL the latter is WAY more likely though. If he's the first type we're going to be in a lot of hurt when the cards get rolled. If he checks the river we can always value bet which is more likely to get called than a turn raise anyways.
  • I don't like the strategy I've seen discussed so far. All this calling with no read on the player seems wrong-headed to me.

KK is a monster pre-flop. Is it still a monster with a board of TT5J? It's good but...

Say the river is a Q. If he bets another 400-500, do you still call? If he checks, do you bet? Now, what if the river is an A instead?

I much prefer a re-raise early in the hand. Win a decent pot with a good hand as opposed to losing a huge one with the second best hand.
  • I much prefer a re-raise early in the hand. Win a decent pot with a good hand as opposed to losing a huge one with the second best hand.

A very reasonable approach to tournament hands, but I'm not sure that this is necessarily the best way to think about NL cash games.

As I mentioned before, simply folding to the flop check-raise is not crazy, and would be even less crazy in a tournament.
    Say the river is a Q. If he bets another 400-500, do you still call?

Yes. I'm not sure that a Q changes the nature of the hand. Maybe we just got smoked by an oddly played AK or 98. But these are two exact hands, and ones that seem unlikely based on the previous betting action.
    If he checks, do you bet?

Close decision, but I'd lean towards just checking it down. It's hard to imagine a river bet having much of a value component to it; i.e. what are the kinds of hands are out there that you beat and that he will call you with? There are loads of hands here that will satisfy only one of those criteria.
    Now, what if the river is an A instead?

Tough decision if the opponent bets. Easy check if the opponent checks.

ScottyZ
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    I don't like the strategy I've seen discussed so far. All this calling with no read on the player seems wrong-headed to me.

KK is a monster pre-flop. Is it still a monster with a board of TT5J? It's good but...

Say the river is a Q. If he bets another 400-500, do you still call? If he checks, do you bet? Now, what if the river is an A instead?

I much prefer a re-raise early in the hand. Win a decent pot with a good hand as opposed to losing a huge one with the second best hand.

if,if,if...I say the odds are in your favour at every stage of this hand, if you lose you rebuy but you have to play this hand for maximum value. If you could play this hand 100 seperate times then which line would you take? Come up with your answer and then that would be the correct line
  • all_aces wrote:
    To review:

Checked to you, you bet $60.  SB raises it to $140.  BB folds.

I couldn't put him on a ten at this point.  And I didn't want to give my hand away.  So, I just called.

The turn brought a jack.  SB led out for $280.

I flat called.

The river was a queen.  SB went all-in for $550.  I called, and he showed me 55. 

I think my opponent played the hand well.  Given the action, I put him on a pocket pair, TT or lower.  Since two tens were on the flop, I figured he had 99, 88, 77, and his turn bet was a "go away" bet, and his river bet was a desperate one.  I was wrong.  I thought a flopped monster would wait until a later street to spring the trap.  Ugh... and, ugh.
  • all_aces wrote:
    I thought a flopped monster would wait until a later street to spring the trap.  Ugh... and, ugh.
    Tough hand, but some of us are a bit too scared/weak to trap frequently, even with the nuts (see my other post), and I likely would have played the hand the same way as the villain (which doesn't mean it's correct).  My thinking would be that on a board that scary, they'll either call or they won't, so why wait?  This doesn't work against average players, but against extremely weak players (who are dumb) or extremely strong players (who think more "tricky") it's surprisingly effective.
  • all_aces wrote:
    I think my opponent played the hand well.

Agreed I like his line. It gets the money in and has the "it looks like I'm FOS" factor too.
  • Any lessons from this people would care to share?
  • Get more info. on the flop.

Don't overvalue big pocket pairs.

Don't assume that players will always slowplay flopped monsters.

I guess the real question is, against most opponents, most of the time, would my KK have been good in that spot?
  • all_aces wrote:
    I guess the real question is, against most opponents, most of the time, would my KK have been good in that spot?
    Vs. an opponent who c/r you on the flop... and led both the turn and the river (for almost pot size bets)... I think your KK is good VERY rarely!
  • LOL. Maybe you're right. I'm not convinced, though... this is why I don't play many NLHE cash games.
  • Hindsight is 20/20. I think the toughest part of the hand (as you said), is that you're readless. Tough to know what an unknown's bets mean here...
  • Hey Devo, is that the hand you were talking about on PokerNightLive where Tina kept commenting on how mad you were about how you lost a grand in a couple minutes?

p.s until you told us what the guy had, i had put him on a pokcet pair over tens :S
  • Yep... that's the one. As you are probably noticing, the line between my "real" life and my "on-air" life... well... it doesn't exist...

Anything that happens to me (poker-related of course) is fair game for broadcast.
  • all_aces wrote:

Don't assume that players will always slowplay flopped monsters.
    Well played Devin
    A lot of people like to check/raise a flopped set or even trips, they don't even think about how to make there apponent commited. Lets say that Devins opponent did flop a 10 and check raised him on the flop devin might lay down, and he wins his $90 + Devins flop bet $75 (roughly). But if his opponent leads at the pot $75 and Devin raises to $275 now this opens the door to win a lot of chips. His oponent can then either smooth call or push. If the the board is suited I usually push because if the flush fills its going to scare away action.
    Of course this works much better with a set instead of trips.

Wader