Kitchener-Waterloo Tournament - polling

Hey all,

Just got through reading the thread, suggesting that we set up a KW home game/tournament, and I'd be happy to organize the event. Before we nail down details, I'd like to ask a few questions and see what type of tournament the population would like.

I've been running home tournaments for the past 4 months and have been having great success with it. My current format is $10 for T500 with one $10 re-buy for the buyin in the first hour if you go below T100. Blinds raise every 20 minutes with a scale that is slow in the beginning, quickly raising over the 3rd hour. Tournaments often time in at around 4 hours, which is nice for an evening of poker.

So, chime in with your requests, we'll find some common ground and get the home game going.

Buy-In amount? $10, $20, $25, $50 (my preference would be to keep it reasonable and low for the first time out)

Rebuys allowed? Y/N (and if Y, what rules would you suggest?)
Add-ons allowed? Y/N (and if Y, as above, suggestions?)

Starting chip count? T100, T500, T1000? (no prefence on my end as everything scales)

Weeknight or Weekend? (With weekends, we could increase the level times and break for a BBQ in the evening)

Tournament length? 4 hours? 6-8 hours if the weekend? -or- Two $10 4 hour tournaments with a break for supper on a Saturday?

That's about it! Respond, please respond by roughly July 1st, and I'll announce the tournament.

Zithal 7:spade:2:heart:

Comments

• I am in for sure and I could probably bring a lot of people with me. Were you thinking about 10 people? More? Less? I would perfer T1000 only because I like longer tournaments. I'd go $10 buy-ins because I'm cheap ;) with no rebuys and no add ons. But thats just me man. Good idea man!
  • count me in. I'm a fan of bigger buyins (ie $50 or so) but I'll go with the flow..don't want to be a stick in the mud.
  • Oh yeah, forgot to mention capacity. The most I've run with is a 21 person field (3 tables of 7 each), so that will be the cap. Preference will (and should) be given to the posters here as this is not just a tournement, but also a chance for people here to put names to faces.

Zithal 7:spade:2:heart:
  • 3 tables of 7 would be awesome man. What blind structure were you thinking of?
  • Hey Zithal,

Thanks for taking the lead on this following my post in the other thread. I would have loved to host, but simply don't have the room. You can count me in for sure. I also agree with the suggestion to initially make it open to forum members only so that we can all meet each other. However, if we can't fill it up, I suppose we could then bring in a few outsiders. Also, if you need any help organizing this thing, just let me know.

GG
  • Here's the blind structure I'm currently using for my T500, one re-buy, tournaments. All levels are 20 minutes long. One short break at the end of the first hour to finish off re-buys, then a break before the 25-50 and 100-200 levels to do a chip race-off. The blinds start slow, giving everyone a chance to pick and choose their hands over the first couple hours. The blinds raise quickly during the third hour, and we've only once gone beyond the 200-400 level and everything usually ends at ~4 hours (a good time for a weeknight)

Of course, blinds will be adjusted based on how long we want to play, addons/rebuys/starting chip counts/etc., but this is a good starting point.

5-10
    10-15
    10-20

15-30
    20-40
    25-50

50-100
    75-150
    100-200

200-400
    300-600
    400-800

500-1000
  • I could possibly make it to this sort of thing if it was on a Saturday, since I visit my g/f in Mississauga fairly often on weekends. I would be up for any buy-in from $10-$100, and my g/f would possibly also play, but only if the buy-in was on the smaller side (maybe $40 or $50 tops for her). I always tell her that I will back her for the "excess" buy-in, but for some reason she gets a little queasy playing for too much. :cool:

[Note: By buy-in, I mean expected total entry fee if there are re-buys and/or add-ons.]

But, buy no means plan this around me. To be honest, a weekday evening tournament might be easier for the locals, and if that's what most people prefer, that's what you should go with of course.

And having a BBBQ sounds like an awesome idea. :P'''O

"The extra B stands for BYOBB."

"What's *that* extra B for?"

"That's a typo."

ScottyZ
  • Not to take this forum into a Simpsons direction, but I couldn't resist:

You don't win friends with salad;
    You don't win friends with sal-ad!...
  • I am always in for touneys - Gordon gecco has the coolest on-line name.
  • Not to take this forum into a Simpsons direction, but I couldn't resist:

You don't win friends with salad;
    You don't win friends with sal-ad!...

quite petty, but I've always thought it was you don't MAKE friends with salad...but now I'm not sure.
  • I think this is a great idea and it really coming together nicely. I really like that blind structure you posted. I personally like longer tournaments and around 3 hours should be great. The BBQ sounds like a nice touch. One last question was payout? Top 5? Top 3? Just first?
  • sloth wrote:
    quite petty, but I've always thought it was you don't MAKE friends with salad...but now I'm not sure.
    Yo Goober! I believe it's "win".
    Homer: All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there
    was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat!?'. I'm
    trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with
    salad.
    -- Homer coins a catch phrase., "Lisa the Vegetarian"

% Bart dances in.

Bart: [Musically.] You don't win friends with salad!
    You don't win friends with salad!
    You don't win friends with salad!
    http://www.snpp.com/episodes/3F03

I think the funniest part is that the BBQ host's name is Goober by default. :)

ScottyZ
  • The payouts we've been using have been...

<10 players : 3 spots : 50/30/20
    10-19 players : 4 spots : 50/25/15/10
    20+ : 5 spots : 45/25/15/10/5

Most of the rules / ideas / etc., are lifted from homepokertourney.com (a great site!). I try to keep the rules for the tournament as they should be.

The only one we're bending a bit is the rule to move players on unbalanced tables. I believe the correct rule is to move the person from the largest to the smallest table that was in the same position as the person who busted out. BUT.. we started using a tourney clock that takes care of all the seat/moving, so we let the program choose who moves where. We've found that the savings in time is worth the slight bend in rules.

Lastly, with the rules around busting out/paying blinds, we've gone with the option that the big blind always moves with the spot filled in behind created dead small blinds and/or dead buttons.
  • teach wrote:
    I am always in for touneys - Gordon gecco has the coolest on-line name.
    Why thank you, teach. However, in my poor attempt to come up with a cool name, I failed to verify the spelling. In "Wall Street," the character's name is Gordon Gekko. Being an idiot, I mispelled both Gordon AND Gekko. Ah well, idiocy has its drawbacks :)
  • I would probably be in. A weekend is better for me, and buyin anywhere from 10-60..

hork.
  • I'd probably be in as well. It would be nice if the buy-in were more in the area of between $50 - $100 to make it more worth driving in from Toronto, but I will go with the flow. It would be a nice opportunity to meet some of you.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • I would be interested for sure. I usually come to Guelph once a month to play with Jeremy. I could bring him (He's also a member) with me for sure. keep me posted. I will be in for anything from $10 to $50. so this sounds like fun.
  • Sounds great. Preferences here: $25 for the first tourny, 1000TC, yes or no for rebuys, no for add ons. Tourny length doesnt matter but i would prefer it on the weekdays....thanks for organizing.

stp
  • I'd like to chime in here with a suggestion for a $50 freeze-out tournament. $50 seems to be one of the amounts that people have thrown out as a possibility. I'll be interested in attending no matter which way it goes, though... it's not my tournament and thanks to Zithal for organizing it!

Regards,
    all_aces
  • I would prefer a$50 buy in also and I like the idea of rebuys or add ons to make the prize pool bigger..Weekend is better for me also but not definite as I seem to be really busy these days...

Does freezeout mean no re-buys?
  • I prefer a freezeout with a larger buy-in. I will win this thing - taking out esool and gekko first and second.
  • Does freezeout mean no re-buys?
    Yes.

I'd agree with all_aces... seems like a $50 freezeout is optimal with what people have been suggesting. Big enough to possibly be worth travelling an hour for, but not so big that loads of people wouldn't play due to a high buy-in.

I don't like $50 *with* re-buys since this is getting into the pretty huge buy-in range.

ScottyZ
  • $50 is cool without re-buys.

stp
  • $50 freezeout sounds very cool to me.
  • It sounds like the $50 freeze-out is the most popular option, but I also know that for some people, that's quite a bit, so I have a comprimise! :)

The Main Tournament, (here-in called the, ah... pokerforum.ca Celebrity Tournament) will be a $50 No-Limit Hold'em freeze-out tournament. People will start with T1,500 and we'll use a T1,000 blind schedule (as seen on homepokertourney.com). (This will extend the time of the tournament to 4-5 hours and gives everyone a lot of play in the intial rounds for their $50)

For those that find $50 too hefty, but would still like to meet some fellow members, we'll hold a Satellite tournament on the day of the event. (and possibly one on a weeknight before the event) Basically this will be a $10 T500 freezout with one spot awared for every 5 particpants. Blinds will be used to make the tourney run ~3 hours.

So, the day of the big event (most likely a Saturday) would look something like..

2pm : Satellite tournament
    5pm : Break for BBQ!
    6pm : Main Tournament.
    Thoughts/comments? If this sounds good, all we need to do is to pick a date, so I'll propose, umm.... Saturday, July 24th. It's about a month away and gives people time to plan.
  • sounds like an awesome idea. I like the satellite.

I am so in.

hork.
  • sounds good
  • What a great idea! Deal me in!
  • Great idea man! $50 is a little too much for me as all my money is going to school now and I'm just going to get beat by Scotty and all_aces ;)

Also are you talking about this Saturday? Because this Saturday is my big 19th birthday! :)
  • Great idea...I am definitely in! I think that July 24th is good, too. That should give us all enough time to reneg on wedding invites and push back any other boring plans we all may have.