First Trip to Brantford CC!

So Drtyore and I will be making our BCC poker debut on Friday, Jan 20. We are going to try to be there sometime in the morning, play all day, then head to g2s' tournament that night.

I'm not sure yet as to which Limits we'll be playing, does anyone have any advice?

JohnnieH

Comments

• Tight is right! Tight is right!
  • Weekly trips to Brantford lead to the following advice......

2-5 can be frustrating because you can't possibly bet the chasers out of the pot, so be prepared if you want to have your aces cracked by some guy playing 9-3, but that's limit poker in general.

5-10 is the game I play because it's best suited to my bankrol, and I enjoy the game. Be wary of people waiting for 10-20 and killing time at your table. They need bigger pots and raise to build it up.

I have never played 10-20 or 20-40, but from what I've heard and seen, the 10-20 game is the best, and 20-40 deteriorates into absolute crazy bingo.

While you're waiting for your seat, go get a winner's circle card and give it to the pit manager when you sit down, then when you leave, give him back the sheet of paper he gives you. You get food credits (49 cents/hour I think) that you can redeem later. It's free and takes five minutes to sign up, but it's nice to enjoy your free steak after a few long sessions.

Alos, make sure you read the house rules posted on the wall, and just a heads up which you probably already know, ANY player at the table can ask to see your cards if it was a called hand on the river.

Have Fun!

Furfy
  • ItsaMe wrote:
    Tight is right! Tight is right!

I never, ever thought I'd hear(see) you say that! ;-)
  • Does the '5 word post' rule count if it's really just 3 words repeated?

:)
  • Thanks for the advice, Furfy. I'll get a players card thingy for sure. mmm.....free steak

What's the min-max buy ins for the tables?
  • The minimum buy-in is 10 times the big bet. For a re-buy, the minimum is half of that. If you voluntarily chance tables, you mest buy in at the new table for the full 10 bug bet minimum.

I was once told by a floorperson that the maximum buy-in is $20,000.

ScottyZ
  • 2-5 = 50 bucks
    5-10 = 100 bucks
    10-20 = 200 bucks
    20-40 = 400 bucks

Always 10 times the big bet, and rebuys must be at least 5 times the big bet. You can add chips at any time, but tell the dealer instead of just pulling them out of your pocket. And you likely know that you can't take any chips off of the table (except to pay the servers or for a meal break) unless you cash out.

I would advise 20 times the big bet, gives you a better image sitting down. 100 bucks won't last long at 5-10, and you don't want to run out of money when you hit the stone cold nuts.
  • Be prepared to get sucked out on!
  • westside8 wrote:
    Be prepared to get sucked out on!

Don't worry, I play Cash Games @ Party. I'm used to it now.
  • Johnnie.

Good luck at BCC. Let us know how it went. I love reading BCC trip reports. I hope to take down a $400 pot next time I go.

Hopefully this summer I can make it more often. If anyone is interested let me know, I would love to play with some forum members (NOTE: Summer time, after April).
  • fisticuffs wrote:
    Hopefully this summer I can make it more often. If anyone is interested let me know, I would love to play with some forum members (NOTE: Summer time, after April).

I don't mind going if my schedule works out, but the second issue is getting there from Scarborough...
    JohnnieH wrote:
    Don't worry, I play Cash Games @ Party. I'm used to it now.

I wish I can say the same sometimes.
  • Congrats on the first trip, once you go the first time, you'll have trouble not wanting to go back more often. The play is just awful (ie. profitable) if you're used to online play.

I think I may be there myself on Friday night, probably playing 5-10...

As far as advice, just have fun with it. If you're used to the suckouts on Party, you'll probably be better conditioned for this game than most. 2-5 will likely resemble a .50-1 online game, and 5-10 isn't drastically different IMO. So get prepped for those 2 outers!
  • Johnnie,

I think I will be there on Friday myself. Alone, in a corner, crying about my lack of friends.

Just play smart poker. You know how to do that. You'll be fine.

Yes there are two outers, and yes aces get cracked by crap. This is poker, it happens everywhere.
  • Flint Bones

You really gonna be there? We should all hook up... but not at the table.

Mark
  • Wow, it sounds like half the forum is going to Brantford on Friday, maybe I'll re-think my plans... Seriously, I think we need to work out that brown trout thing...
  • Johnnie (and and Flint Bones)

I just might be there myself. I was there today and I will be there tomorrow playing in their tourney. I usually play 5-10 myself but I have ventured into the 10-20 tables a few times. It doesn't matter what level you play at there will be some people with money to burn playing ridiculously loose starting hands. Among the bad beats laid on me, I've lost to people calling three bets cold (at least) with hands such as J6s and Q2o (twice!!!).
    At the 2-5 preflop raise rarely get any respect and are usually meaningless. A moron who'll play 92s will often limp in or play for 2,3 or 4 bets. I can't stomach playing 2-5 for that very reason. As I stated above, you will see people doing the same at all limits but they are much more rare at the 5-10 or higher limit tables.
    In 5-10 or higher, you should be able to figure out pretty early on who the morons and the decent to good players are and play accordingly. Never try fancy plays or bluff reraises with a moron in the pot because, more often than not, if he has any pair or a draw (even a gutshot) he will call you down.
    It may sound pretty rough but if you're able to take the occasional bad beats (sometimes, a whole days worth) and play tight, like Mario said, it can be fun and you can make some decent money. Overall, I've made some pretty good money there myself.

Hope to see you there Friday if I can make it!

Steve
  • And you should definitely get a Winner's Circle card. It only takes a minute and doesn't cost you anything. You get a few bucks of everything on the menu if you eat there. If you go time to time you also accrue a small amount of money just for playing in the poker room. I fairly sure that it's actually only 47 cents an hour but it is free and it adds up. I get a free dinner buffet or meal every few weeks or so. And you get minor discounts for playing in their tourneys. The tourneys they are currently running Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are a $50 buy-in but if you have a card it's only $45.

Steve
  • For the Brown trout....

We can refer to an appointment we had with Dr. Tyore... I think that the appointment should be for something to do with mental health.... like an unhealthy obsession with man-flirting, or as part of your parole requirements after stalking that Shannon guy.

Mark
  • Be prepared to wait and wait for a seat. I usually put my name down on 5-10 and 2-5 in case they open up a new table in one limit or the other. Bring a magazine or newspaper to pass the time. If your table sucks don't be afraid to ask the boss for a table change. Usually MM and I compare notes after 1/2 hour or so and switch to whichever table is best.
  • I will also be there Friday night around 6pm. Sometimes the wait time can be as long as 2hrs for $5-$10 on a Friday evening. I usually put myself on both the $5-$10 and $10-$20. Often I get on the $10-$20 and play supertight waiting for a $5-$10 seat to open.

I usually find the $5-$10 very profitable. I see the same people session after session playing way too many hands and running back and forth to the bank machine.

Just the thought of that brings a crocodile tear to my eye.
  • Mark, Steve, Johnnie,

I will be there and I'll look for you guys. I am most likely playing the 2-5. I don't have the fear that Shtebs does, I actually like them chasing, sure they'll suck out but they'll also lose big a lot more often.

I will be there around 10:00 and I am also playing in the KPS. I'll look for you.

P.S. Steve...shhhhhhh...don't tell Aaron!
  • Had a blast when I went with Sean (morty) back before Christmas. We both played the 2-5 and both had some pretty big swings in both directions. I made the mistake of checking (just to be nice) my top 2-pair because it was just Sean and myself in a pot, he ended up rivering a flush, so my advise is if you end up at the same table, treat eachother like you would any other player at the table, it sucks to get sucked out by the person you drove there with :D (yes sean, it still burns in my memory).
  • When ever any of you guys want to go to Niagara to play, let me know...2 or 3 of the Milton Rocks are there a couple of times a week playing either 2/4 Limit or 1/2 NL. I have played Brantford before but much prefer Niagara. More tourists and casual players = more profit... As Mario says.... I can't believe we're really hearing this from Mario, "tight is right!" Starting hand selection is key, suited connectors from say 7-8 up and mid pairs that trip on the flop seem to be the best payers... Large pairs are hard to win with, so difficult to bet everyone out of the pot, the larger the pot is, more seem to stay all the way to the river. Jeff..
  • Jeff, Niagara is running 3-6 limit now?
  • moose wrote:
    Jeff, Niagara is running 3-6 limit now?

Yes they are when they have enough ppl... Was there last night and they had one going most of the night. For sure on weekends.. Other item of note for you guys that hate waiting for a table.. Niagara has a wait list that you can call in for up to 90 min ahead.. Works great.. 1-888-winfall...
  • Sounds like I'll miss the get together :D , but I'll be at BCC tomorrow.

Probably early afternoon (1:00 or so), until about 11:00, playing 10/20.

I'll be wearing my Bills leather jacket.

macbb
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    The minimum buy-in is 10 times the big bet. For a re-buy, the minimum is half of that. If you voluntarily chance tables, you mest buy in at the new table for the full 10 bug bet minimum.

I was once told by a floorperson that the maximum buy-in is $20,000.

ScottyZ

Geez Scotty, I'd hate to have seen your post BEFORE you edited it.  How's that novocaine working out for you?

As for advice on limit hold'em at Brantford, and limit hold'em in general, I quote Bob Jarrett: "Play just a little tighter than the rest of the table".
  • Apparently my post had at least one bug in it.

ScottyZ
  • "Play just a little tighter than the rest of the table".

That is by far the simplest and yet best advice for playing at the BCC.
  • ItsaMe wrote:
    Tight is right! Tight is right!

Quick someone get to Mario's house....he's obviously being held at gun point!!!!!

I think Friday may be a hmmm 'sick' day for me...let me check the bankroll....if I don't see you good luck guys and please post when you get back!!!!!