Ryder Cup - Team Waterloo

2»

Comments

• Hey all,

Sorry for being a tad invisible lately. I'm on course this week with limited access to my work computer and the internet. I'll be using tonight as a catch up night.

I know that each of the events use 6 members from each team, but I'm not sure what the team member "cap" is. Still, once a date is chosen, I'm sure we're going to lose one or two people.
  • So it looks like we need 8 players.  Any ideas for narrowing the list from 9 to 8? :D

/g2
  • I will volunteer to "earn" my seat. I will play anyone else HU for the honour of 8th position on the roster vs. first alternate (insert joke about steel club wielding maniac hiding behind the ice rink). Oh, the other thing is you must put up $1000 and I will put up $10 for the match. If I win, I get your money and a seat.

Why can't I stop making bad jokes today?!?! Must be this "back to the grind at the office" thing.

Anyone else just want to play (I am free and can host either Friday eve or Saturday any time, I have 2 tables so 16 max. I can probably do more if people can bring tables, chairs, chips. PM me and if I get enough nibbles I will create an offical thread for the players list, etc.).

Adam.
  • Who's organizing this thing for us!!

I challenge either Kitchener team. My place, my tables, any amount, any time!!!!!!!!!

Waterloo is serious now!!!!!!!

lol
  • Someone foolishly elected me captain. If someone who actually has some free time in the month of January has some free time, I'll gladly pass on the captain's hat.
  • Zithal wrote:
    Someone foolishly elected me captain.  If someone who actually has some free time in the month of January has some free time, I'll gladly pass on the captain's hat.
    I've got some free time.  And I can host whatever games we need to play to make our list of 8 players.  I was thinking we could run a SNG of each format to determine who will play which games.  We can also share tips and sharpen our games during these.
    pokerdro wrote:
    1)   8 - 10 man NL Hold em SNGs with one player from each team competing at each table. 
    2)   8 - 10 man Fixed Limit Hold em SNGs with one player from each team competing at each table. 
    3)   5 - 8 man Fixed Limit Stud SNGs.
    4)   4 - 10 man Pot Limit Omaha SNGs with one players from each team competing at each table. 
    5) Finally 40 Head Up NL tournaments to finish the competition.
    So there are 4 seats for each of the Omaha and Stud events.
    g2 wrote:
    Updated Waterloo list (in order of signup):

Player . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    1. "Redington" Tyson
    2. "g2" Greg
    3. "Waterlooser" Adam
    4. "Shopsy" Jeff
    5. "Zithal" Rob
    6. "folded" Cory
    7. "JohnnieH"
    8. "Azrael_12" Tye
    9. "nordique" Kevin

Formats of choice
    any
    Holdem, Omaha
    Holdem, Stud

any
    Holdem, Omaha
    Holdem, Stud, Draw
    Holdem, Omaha
    any

Stud:
    1. "Redington" Tyson
    2. "Waterlooser" Adam
    3. "shopsy" Jeff
    4. "Zithal" Rob
    5. "JohnnieH"
    6. "nordique" Kevin

Omaha:
    1. "Redington" Tyson
    2. "g2" Greg
    3. "shopsy" Jeff
    4. "Zithal" Rob
    5. "folded" Cory
    6. "Azrael_12" Tye
    7. "nordique" Kevin

I propose that we play a $10 SNG of each Stud and Omaha.  The blind structure will be really slow, in order to allow a lot of play.  In my opinion, each SNG should be a freezeout (like the Ryder Cup game will be), but we should also consider including a rebuy (opinions?).  Payouts: 1st = 75%; 2nd = 25%

Since the Stud list is shorter we should run that first (less waiting time for the Omaha SNG).  Once the Stud SNG is down to 4 players (the players who will represent our team for Stud) the Omaha SNG can start.  And likewise, the top 4 will qualify for the team.

If you want your name removed or added to either list PM me or reply here.  However, if you haven't played both formats before then it's probably in the best interest of the team that you do not play in both SNGs.
    pokerdro wrote:
    Each team must have their money in by Feb. 1/06.  We will start a waiting list for alternate teams and they will be bumped into the event if money is not received by Feb. 1/06.  This is in an effort to ensure we have no late drop outs.  Full team lineups will be due Feb. 11/06. 
    I'll throw some possible dates out for this.  As they get vetoed I'll cross them out.
    Tuesday Jan. 17th
    Wednesday Jan. 18th
    Sunday Jan. 22nd
    Tuesday Jan. 24th
    Wednesday Jan. 25th
    Friday Jan. 27th
    Sunday Jan. 29th
    Tuesday Jan. 31st

/g2

Disclaimer:  I'm not trying to claim the role of captain with this post... we can take another vote if necessary.  Also, if anyone has any other ideas for narrowing our team down to 4 Stud + 4 Omaha players please speak up.
  • I nominate you captain G2,

I can do some hosting, however, I just do not have time to do any organization.
  • Are you guys all scared to take me on HU or was it the $1000 buy-in? Ok, enough trash talk.
    I propose that we play a $10 SNG of each Stud and Omaha.

I don't see how two games with disjoint player lists will narrow the field down appropriately.

If someone doesn't want to play for the "honour" of "First Alternate" then I guess I will just accept that role as I probably play the least KW games as the others in the group. Captain G2, I would still be interested in the warm-up matches and let me know once the date is final if I get called up to the big-leagues.
  • Your dominance over the game has scared us all, Adam! Thank God you're on our team!

Having Greg as our Captiain is ok with me. (I don't have to salute or anything do I?)

JohnnieH
  • I was thinking, if enough players choose either Stud or Omaha... there will be no need for the "tryouts" for our team. However, I would like to have a few SNGs for practice and discussing strategy before the cup games. We also need to come up with a team name.

/g2
  • Sorry for the ignorance guys, but what is the date/time/venue/cost/ of this thing again?

Maybe I'm a total moron, but I can't seem to find it!!

If it's Feb 18 and in Toronto count me out, as I have allready stated that I'm not playing poker all day, 100 KM from home.

JohnnieH
  • JohnnieH wrote:
    Sorry for the ignorance guys, but what is the date/time/venue/cost/ of this thing again?
    It is Feb. 18 (Happy birthday :) ), $50, and the venue is in TO.
    JohnnieH wrote:
    I have allready stated that I'm not playing poker all day, 100 KM from home
    But what about your Vegas trip ? ;)
  • My understanding is that it's on the west side of T.O. and we will most likely organize some car pools.

/g2
  • beanie42 wrote:
    JohnnieH wrote:
    Sorry for the ignorance guys, but what is the date/time/venue/cost/ of this thing again?
    It is Feb. 18 (Happy birthday :) ), $50, and the venue is in TO.
    JohnnieH wrote:
    I have allready stated that I'm not playing poker all day, 100 KM from home
    But what about your Vegas trip ? ;)

.....on my Birthday!!!
  • Saw the detais that Sandra sent out and it looks like an interesting event. For those that don't know this, here's a quick summary...

Each team has exactly 8 pllayers. Everyone plays in four different rounds. Each round is a series of 1 table Sng's that award point values based on finish.

Rnd1: Stud and Omaha - 4 players each
    Rnd2: Fixed Limit
    Rnd3: Noi Limit
    Rnd4: Heads up matches.

The team with the most points at the end of the day is the winner. So, everyone plays a No Limit games, everyone plays a Limit game, everyone plays a heads-up game and half the team plays stud while the other half plays Omaha.

We need to decide 3 things; our 8 players, who's playing Stud v. Omaha, and what our team name is. I'm in the same boat as Johnnie as I'd rather not be out of town on my b-day weekend, but we'll see what happens. The format is pretty interesting.
  • PMs sent.  Please confirm ASAP.

Omaha:
    1. "g2" Greg
    2. "Redington" Tyson

Stud:
    1. "Zithal" Rob
    2. "WaterLooser" Adam

"nordique" and "Azrael_12" are confirmed
    - both willing to play either game, but prefer omaha

Practice session (incompatible dates will be crossed out):
    Tuesday Jan. 17th
    Wednesday Jan. 18th