Southern Ontario Challenge Match!

2»

Comments

• Don't you guys ever sleep? This thread just kept growing all night...   A few comments..
    I think we should try to keep this small for the first attempt while we work ot the dynamics.
    Ali, I think your mom would (should) have some concerns over the legalities at your hotel... I have a place where we could certainly do it, up to 50 ppl or so.  Lets keep discussing it and after New Year perhaps get together either in person or on MSN, etc to see what direction we would like go...
  • I have 3 for the London area + Twothree (Braad) if we would be interested.
  • Great idea...and I would love to be involved....how do you narrow down team KW? I think there will be so many that want to join in?
  • new york has more than one baseball team you guys, and more than one hockey team. kitchener can have more than one poker team.

which will eventually spawn grudge matches between those teams, and million dollar contracts for trades for players form team to team. :D

the kitchener arrows and the kitchener kings (or queens if kitchener makes an all womans team, now that woudl be cool)

Johnny
  • stpboy wrote:
    Hmmm, funny you sound a lot like this girl I know.  A friend of mine and a friend of yours....

On a side note:  Have you seen the movie Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe?  Yeah, I laughed everytime I saw that Faun....you guys are the spitting image of eachother.  Deathly attractive!

If anyone could find a picture of him that would be awesome...

stp
  • WOw, i haven't been reading on this board for a little while..but i'm FULLY in.
    Sandro, my vote is for you to be team Guelph's captain....(but only if you put me on team guelph...pocket 7's not withstanding).
    And Ali..i didn't know you had connections to a hotel..dude..that sounds like an amazing venu!
    Okay..i'm in..keep me in the loop!
    M
  • I have 3 for the London area + Twothree (Braad) if we would be interested.

ya i'll be on team London for sure!
  • Big E wrote:
    stpboy wrote:
    Hmmm, funny you sound a lot like this girl I know.  A friend of mine and a friend of yours....

On a side note:  Have you seen the movie Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe?  Yeah, I laughed everytime I saw that Faun....you guys are the spitting image of eachother.  Deathly attractive!

If anyone could find a picture of him that would be awesome...

stp

Now tell me that doesn't look like John Adams!! hahahahaha, Thanks for finding it!!
  • I guess we need to find out if we want this to be a multi discipline event of not. I will start a new thread of a revised version of the Ryder Cup of Poker format I originally posted. It will open up a few more spots for Kitchener and Waterloo.
  • pokerdro wrote:
    I guess we need to find out if we want this to be a multi discipline event of not. I will start a new thread of a revised version of the Ryder Cup of Poker format I originally posted. It will open up a few more spots for Kitchener and Waterloo.

As much as I like playing some Omaha Hi/Lo, Stud Hi/Lo, Razz, Crazy Pinapple, BADUGI, I think it might wise to simply stick with Hold'em for now simply because we might be spending half the day figuring out who get the 1/2 of the 1/2 of the Hi and who gets the 1/4 for the 1/2 for the Lo etc etc.

Or, we can simply keep those games to Hi....
  • stpboy wrote:
    [Now tell me that doesn't look like John Adams!!  hahahahaha, Thanks for finding it!!

yup, and if you look close you can see the 72o he raised pre-flop with tucked into his fur.
  • I like the idea of hold'em only as everyone plays it, so the competition level will be better, as opposed to the other games that have limited followings, those who play would dominate in all likelihood.
  • The games proposed are just straight Stud and Omaha not H/L versions.  I agree those would be time consuming.
  • I recently participated in a team tournament organized by the Pirana Poker Tour.  Each team could have between 4-8 players (with at least one female?).  There were a dozen teams registered for the multi-table no-limit Hold'em tournament.  Each team member would be initially assigned to a separate table, but as the tables merged, there would eventually be teammates in the same table.  The team with the highest AVERAGE points won a deluxe poker table, deluxe poker set and a bunch of Copag card decks.

I made it to the final table of the team tournament.  One team had three members in the final table, but with no team strategy, they were edged out by the winner's team.

One advantage for having an MTT instead of a series of SNG is the potential for a lot more team strategy.  Expect some no-shows on the day of the event.  If all the registered teams are full, players like me can sign up to be an alternate team member or as part of a replacement pool on the day of the event.
    I figure a series of sit n go's that qualifys 2 players from each table to a "Finalie" tournament with the same idea.

lets say for example we get (idealy) 8 teams of 8. 

each table of 8 is a SnG with the top 2 players moving on to the finalie tournament of 16 players.  in the Sng's no players from the same team will sit at the same table.  each team will be evenly distributed over the 8 tables.

Here's the team strategy part.   the 8 team captains each draw a card, ace to 8.  the ace is first and the 8 is last.  tables are numbered 1 through 8 obviously and which ever team captain is the ace sits his or her team on tables 1 thorugh 8.  whichever team draws the 2 gets to match which ever player on their team to the table they see fit to their players strengts and weeknesses.  For example, i see a tight agressive player such as shannon, i woudl chose either my strongest or my weakest player depending on our strategy.  and the captain who gets card 3 gets to make the even tougher decision now that their are 2 players at that table.  you guys get the point, and i think this adds a whole new dynamic to the game.  pretty cool if you ask me.

here's where it gets tricky.  the buy-ins and payouts:

$20/person for the SnG's.  this makes a total prizepool of $160 for each table.  $60 form each table will be set aside and this will be explained later.  the last $100 will be divided 50/50 between the last 2 men/women left at each table. 

for each player who makes it to the 16 person final, the buy-in will be $40.  this makes the pot $640 for the last 16 players.  the payout for the last 16 players will be a 50/30/20 payout.

NOW!  for the $480 taken from the SnG's we could either throw it into the final prizepool for the last 16 players and make the payout to the top 6 or 7, or we could go the rout for the top team.

we make that $480 the prize for the top team to split evenly.  we assign points to the SnG's and the final tournament and which ever team makes the most points gets to evenly split the prize between themselves. 

During breaks teams may get togather to talk strategy and hwo to play other teams.

i think the buy-ins are pretty reasonable considering each SnG is pretty much a satellite into the final tournament.

the final tournament woudl have 10 000 in chips and the SnG's woudl start with 1500 or 1000 depending on input.
  • Well MDS should we be looking at Ryder Cup Team Toronto? Whatever format you guys want I'm in for. Hopefully someone wants me on their team. If not I'll play the losers in a cash side game :)
  • I also agree. Since the Ryder Cup regretably forces ALL :D team members to play Omaha or Stud, is there any interest in a future Hold'em team challenge match?
    I like the idea of hold'em only as everyone plays it, so the competition level will be better, as opposed to the other games that have limited followings, those who play would dominate in all likelihood.