Brantford $2 - $5

2»

Comments

• ScoobyD wrote:
    I know a 12 word strategy that works well against such opponents.

Is it: "Bet for value! Bet for value! Bet for value! Bet for value!"? (done in the Homeresque "Eat the pudding, eat the pudding, eat the pudding, eat the pudding!" voice.)

No. It's "I know a 12 word strategy that works well against such opponents." Keep reciting this to yourself while at the table, and you simply cannot lose.

;)

Honestly, the actual 12 word strategy I originally had in mind was "Go ahead and plllllllllllllllllllllay eight duece offsuit on a whim to win" but I received a cease & decist order from the Tim Horton's lawyers so had to pull it.

ScottyZ
  • Actually, I've got it Scotty, just hadn't heard it in awhile.  I'm such a noob.  BWTB.GDTI.FATR.  Duh.
  • I know what you guys are saying ... play the right hands and you get paid.

But there is nothing you can do when you have trips or something and a guy calls all the way down with a gutshot only to nail you on the river.

I guess thats just part of playing limit (ESPECIALLY LOW LIMIT)
  • But there is nothing you can do when you have trips or something and a guy calls all the way down with a gutshot only to nail you on the river.

Right.  Betting for value can't possibly be correct there can it?  After all it only wins you money MOST of the time.  Better check that one down and fold to a bet just to be safe...

EDIT: OK, sorry for the excessive sarcasm/smartassery. It just seems that everytime a thread looks beaten to death, someone inevitably hits the reset button (or is deliberately baiting people) with a post.
  • ... play the right hands and you get paid.

I'd say, play the hands you get the right way and you'll get paid.

And a big big big big part of playing your hands the right way (did I mention that this is big?) is playing the hands you are dealt with other players sitting at the table who are as bad at playing poker as possible, rather than harboring some kind of dubious desire to play against players who are highly skilled.

If you can't beat the bad players...
    But there is nothing you can do when you have trips or something and a guy calls all the way down with a gutshot only to nail you on the river.

Losing some pots in poker is inevitable. Whether or not you make correct decisions at each point in a hand is what matters.

The fact that you have made trips at some point in a hand and lost the hand to a straight (or by folding) is irrelevant. The outcome of any particular poker hand is irrelevant. Bad beat stories will be assimilated.

Good poker players will experience many instances where they make good decisions and still lose the pot. Excellent players will understand why this happens, and generally accept it. Top level players realize that, without such occurences, the game of poker would simply not exist.

Enjoy your bad beats. How else are the good players supposed to make any money at this crazy game?

ScottyZ
  • Hint for people who think Aces always win - it's a 7 card game and you get to use the best 5. Hint #2 - everyone else gets to share the same five cards.

If you want a 2 card game where you only play against one person try BJ.

I can see the posts now - stupid BJ dealer - he wouldn't fold and I had ACES!
  • moose04 wrote:
    If you want a 2 card game where you only play against one person try BJ.

I can see the posts now - stupid BJ dealer - he wouldn't fold and I had ACES!

I guess the thing to ask is why the hell didn't you split them?   
  • Because BJ is better than poker - you can get SUITED aces. Never split a suited pocket. Jeez...