Another Poker event by RiverRatJosh in Aurora this saturday (27th)

Comments

• Just a bump, I'm assuming we are still a go for tonight at Charlie's? Jeff..
  • Another fun evening with approx 45-50 players I believe... Managed to place 3rd and win a NewYork poker shirt for 4 of a kind. Thanks Josh and a question... Do you have any concerns over the $5. cover charge that Charlies decided to implement at the last minute? Not sure but does this have any legal ramifications for either yourself or the bar itself? I know they are only trying to cover their costs since we don't seem to be a big drinking bunch.. lol..

I have absolutely no issue with it myself as $5. for an evenings entertainment and education is a tiny price....
  • Compuease is right Josh...a $5 cover puts the event as collecting a rake. Are you doing this tuesday at the Pearson. If so I would like to drop by with gifts for everyone!!!
  • The 5$ cover is of concern to a lot of people.

It is not implemented by me, or should in no way be associated with poker.

on dance nights the bars charge cover to come out and have fun for the venue.

Poker night is no different. The cover is ot taken to profit by the evening nor does it reflect on any prizing situations.
    It is not money payed to play. It is simply money payed to come out to the venue legally speaking. IPT has been doing this legally for months now, and the stipulation is that players are not paying to play poker per say. This is still a money free event as far as risj is concern, In the eyes of the law money adds risk and qualifies it as a game of chance. We are keeping it off that territory.

There is still no risk, and it is still a money free random game play situation.

I will talk with the bar owners about implementing a plan, where if you could show a guest receipt of 15$ or more, you would get your 5$ back or somehting. It seems like splitting hairs, and a bit cheapish, but they want to put on a good show, and host a fun evening, but not lose money on the deal on a weekly basis.

See you saturday night. Updates to follow.
  • Well all I know Josh is the night my g/f and I came out we spent $15 per pitcher of beer and had 2. Now if i had to kick another $10 on top of it forget it. If they gave back the $10 given we drank then that would be all ok with us.

• It is not implemented by me, or should in no way be associated with poker.
    The cover is ot taken to profit by the evening nor does it reflect on any prizing situations.
    It is not money payed to play. It is simply money payed to come out to the venue legally speaking.

So then everyone that shows up to the bar pays the $5 "cover" and not just the people that will be playing poker?
  • Zithal wrote:

It is not implemented by me, or should in no way be associated with poker.
    The cover is ot taken to profit by the evening nor does it reflect on any prizing situations.
    It is not money payed to play. It is simply money payed to come out to the venue legally speaking.

So then everyone that shows up to the bar pays the $5 "cover" and not just the people that will be playing poker?

fyi
    people who are not playing poker do not have to pay the $5 cover.
  • wow, it all sounds messy, andquite illegal, and I am sure that some perfectionist law abiding enforcement body would find it illegal. But yes, people who attend and not play did not have to pay.

How can I spell this the easiest. The restaurant loses money every week. SO they are trying to make the evening pay for itself.
    In my mind most people woudl have no poblem parting with 5 bucks for the fun, cause for less than the price of a happy meal these days you aint gettin much.......

Those who do have a real problem with the funds, well..........I just figure if one can't find 5$ to spend on entertainment on a saturday night....then there might be a bigger issue here.

None the less, I will speak with the owner and try and see if we can work something out.
    The message he wanted to send to the crowd is "Look.........the evening works for him if evryone spends a bit of money."
    he wants people to have dinner prior, or have a few beverages during, cause he is a business man making a business descision.......
    He did however want everyone to know he thinks it has drawn a real nice crowd, and he loves having a weekly group becomming more dedicated to the game.

Lets just see how the next few weeks play out. I am sure he will see soon enough if his customers wish to bear the 5$ charge by thier attendance.
  • I have never attended this free poker night. I only heard about it for the first time yesterday through ACDC (he's on this forum) This is how I look at things. I think hosting for free isn't free for the host, for many obvious reasons, and $5 is hardly anything, and so little to ask. The bar/restaurant should have $5 Tuesdays, that, 'coincidentally' coincide with the FREE poker night. They charge $5 to anyone that enters the door, regardless of playing or not. ThHis way, it isn't "pay to play", its "pay to get in the bar, and maybe play a little bit of poker for FREE" It is plenty affordable to all. If people DO IN FACT MIND the cover charge, they can just buy a beer or french fries or something.

Having it $5 for poker players only is a little sketchy in my books.
  • to anyone who went.. any info as to what happened on saturday?
  • Another good night although the numbers were down, I believe there were only about 28 or so. Perhaps the $5. cover charge was responsible? Jeff..
  • hey Jeff, was the $5 still on? are you going to be at Pearson tomorrow?
  • I haven't been to Pearson in a few weeks but am going to Aurora tonight. Not sure if the $5. will still be on or not. I'm going anyways. jeff..
  • Hey got lucky last night....and NO, I don't mean what your were thinking... Went to Charlies last night with my son a and a friend of his. The friend busted out 11th, my son 7th and well......... I finally managed to win one. Short stacked early, hung on, got the 2000 add on, caught trip sixes on the turn to double up shortly after, went to final table with probably 10-15% of big stack, won a couple of small pots, down to 5, doubled up through the big stack twice in a few hands. Think he got a little too aggressive trying to eliminate folks.... End up head to head, maybe a slight chip lead... Run of poor cards at the same time as he gets aggressive... back to about a 2-1 chip lead for him, finally cards start to turn, a couple of re-raises back at him and we're even again... Traded back and forth for several hands with me having a small lead maybe 60-40, finally K,6 suited in small blind, call, he raises,, which he does almost everytime I show weakness, I re-raise him all in expecting him to fold... He thinks...... and calls showing J,Q off.... We both blank on flop, turn and river, and bango, I finally have my 1st win at Charlies. Championship round here I come....
  • Congrats on the big win!!!!! See you soon....going to Pearson Tuesday or down to St Thomas on the weekend??
  • Thanks a lot, nope not to Pearson, not very good turnouts are there? gonna try some of the redhotpokertour events I think.. I am going to St Thomas on Sunday. See you there? Jeff...
  • I'll be there in St Thomas...if you ever play the Monday night Red Hot Tour in Richmond Hill let me know and I will go as well.
  • Is the Aurora event a go this Sat or is it cancelled for the long weekend?
  • I would assume it's not happening it didn't during the July long weekend
  • Charleys has cancelled this weekends poker night due to long weekend. Back on the 6th

Josh
  • I assume tomorrow evening (6th) is a go? Back to defend my title... lol.. Jeff..
  • bump
  • We are a go tonight!!!

Your title is on the line!!
  • Well did my best to defend it... lol.. was not to be although I came close. I finished 2nd to a friend of mine from here in milton. You probably remember him from the Pearson Pub, guy about my age but bigger and with white hair... We went head to head from about even positions.....
    LOL, his winning hand was 3,7 to my 3,4..... Crazy....
    By the way, how many more Saturdays are you going in Aurora? And when is the final table for the winners planned for? Jeff..
  • We have one more week of Qualifying.

Then the final a week later I am guessing but we will work that out.

as fro future events, it is up to the bar. They have not yet realized a profit from the endeavor, or so they say, and it is hard to sustain a relationship with them if they have other plans.

It is all still in the negotiation stage.

I can tell you however that our NEW YORK POKER sponsorship, kind of jumped out the window. I mean we are still online with them, but I think their participation will be limited in the near future. As for the final, with all of the prizing promisses they made......we will just have to see.

Josh
  • We are on tonight, but it is official.

NEW YORK POKER is no longer a sponsor

WHat we do with the finals is still up for discussion

Josh
  • We go on saturday again. Consolation games have gotten real interesting lately. email me for details!!!
  • bump!!

see you saturday night everyone......
  • THOSE WHO ARENT GOING TO THE SOUTH SIMCOE OPEN............

WE ARE ON FOR SATURDAY NIGHT!!!

IT Is not the famed finals, it is just another fun night of poker.

feel free to come out and have fun

Josh

Hint hint, the real action starts once we have a final table.......