Is Poker Gambling?

Some interesting info in this article: https://highstakesdb.com/news/high-stakes-reports/is-poker-gambling
The Cigital, a Washington, DC-based consulting organization, conducted the first large-scale study of more than 100 million hands. Most experienced poker players would agree that the following are the two most significant results:
Three-quarters of all hands never go to showdown.
Approximately 12% of hands are won by the best hand.
According to estimates, between 80 and 85 percent of regulars in No-limit poker games at $1/$2 or $2/$4 stakes are losers in the long haul. The issue stems from the game's inherent variance ("luck"), as well as a variety of other elements. These include rake per hand and frequently a poor beat jackpot. Winning 1 or 2 BB/hour routinely under these conditions is unrealistic, even if you're reasonably experienced in cash games.

Mid-stakes and high stakes are where professionals appear. These stakes range from $2/$5 to $10/$20 going up, and ten to fifteen percent of regulars are long-term winners at these stakes.

Comments

  • I’m assuming there’s a typo and it should say “12% of hands aren’t won by the best hand.”
  • martinmc13 wrote: »
    I’m assuming there’s a typo and it should say “12% of hands aren’t won by the best hand.”

    That's one of the things I found shocking. That's a pretty big typo if that's true.
  • trigs wrote: »

    That's one of the things I found shocking. That's a pretty big typo if that's true.

    I think it has to be. It says 3/4 of hands don’t make it to showdown, so that means 1/4 of hands do. That’s 25% right there, then add all the times people value bet and everyone folds.
  • martinmc13 wrote: »
    trigs wrote: »

    That's one of the things I found shocking. That's a pretty big typo if that's true.

    I think it has to be. It says 3/4 of hands don’t make it to showdown, so that means 1/4 of hands do. That’s 25% right there, then add all the times people value bet and everyone folds.

    Yeah, that makes sense.
  • Depends on what's on stake? Pocket money or pink slips.

Sign In or Register to comment.