Is Poker Gambling?

Some interesting info in this article: https://highstakesdb.com/news/high-stakes-reports/is-poker-gambling
The Cigital, a Washington, DC-based consulting organization, conducted the first large-scale study of more than 100 million hands. Most experienced poker players would agree that the following are the two most significant results:
Three-quarters of all hands never go to showdown.
Approximately 12% of hands are won by the best hand.
According to estimates, between 80 and 85 percent of regulars in No-limit poker games at $1/$2 or $2/$4 stakes are losers in the long haul. The issue stems from the game's inherent variance ("luck"), as well as a variety of other elements. These include rake per hand and frequently a poor beat jackpot. Winning 1 or 2 BB/hour routinely under these conditions is unrealistic, even if you're reasonably experienced in cash games.

Mid-stakes and high stakes are where professionals appear. These stakes range from $2/$5 to $10/$20 going up, and ten to fifteen percent of regulars are long-term winners at these stakes.

Comments

• I’m assuming there’s a typo and it should say “12% of hands aren’t won by the best hand.”
  • martinmc13 wrote: »
    I’m assuming there’s a typo and it should say “12% of hands aren’t won by the best hand.”

That's one of the things I found shocking. That's a pretty big typo if that's true.
  • trigs wrote: »

That's one of the things I found shocking. That's a pretty big typo if that's true.

I think it has to be. It says 3/4 of hands don’t make it to showdown, so that means 1/4 of hands do. That’s 25% right there, then add all the times people value bet and everyone folds.
  • martinmc13 wrote: »
    trigs wrote: »

I think it has to be. It says 3/4 of hands don’t make it to showdown, so that means 1/4 of hands do. That’s 25% right there, then add all the times people value bet and everyone folds.

Yeah, that makes sense.
  • Depends on what's on stake? Pocket money or pink slips.

• Presuming that everything is on the level; one player two cards. Basic etiquette adhered to & poker game rules followed as printed on tournament flyer. Roberts Rules mentions code of conduct ergo "shouting, or making excessive noise", "using profanity or obscene language" are obviously right out of the window right of the bat. While at a 'home game'.

Obviously nobody is going to shush whales having a good time donking away their chumps of cash...

... but if I knew the winning numbers for this Friday's LottoMax that's NOT A GAMBLING-BLING !!!

• This guy seems like a snake oil salesman. Not a great video at all showing how this is setup. More people thinking they can be a YouTuber because they have some knowledge and a camera. Not a good teacher at all..