The Compound presents - "Merry Xmas Madness 2018" - Sat. Jan 19th at 2pm (K/W)

2018 Merry Xmas Madness
No-Limit Hold'em Tournament
Saturday, Jan 19th, 2018 at 2pm.
(doors open at 1:30pm)

The Xmas season is all about gift giving (and getting!) and beating those mad rushes to get the best gifts while the clock ticks down to Christmas Eve. The Merry Xmas Madness tournament contains all the best (and worst) aspects of the season and should make for that tournament that's... very interesting. This tournament is a little less serious that some of the others. The details....

$5 Entry for 1,000 chips.
(PLUS: BRING A SECRET SANTA GIFT!!)

Unl. rebuys in the first 4 levels (2.5 hours); $5 for 1,000 (you must bust out to rebuy)
One add-on available at the end of Level 4. $5 for an extra 5,000 chips.
And... a Bag 'o Presents available at every table!!

Payout: (rounded to nearest $5)
1st place - 35%
2nd place - 20%
3rd place - 14%
4th place - 11%
5th place - 8%
6th place - 6%
7th place - 4%
8th place - 2%

Maximum number of Players: ?? - ? tables of eight (Please RSVP)
We will try to accommodate as many people as possible, but I may need help with chairs.

At the beginning of the tournament, each table receives one "Bag 'o Presents". If you win a hand, or play a hand down to the river and one of your hole cards is the "2 of Hearts" -OR- the "A of Spades". You must pull one present (at random) from the Bag 'o Presents. Each Bag will contain the following...

PLEASE NOTE: We may be changing up some of the rules this year, so consider the chip amounts and what they do tentative. Except the "Red Chip" There will always be a red chip. :smilie:

Three black 100 chips
Three purple 500 chips
Three yellow 1,000 chips
Three "Special" green chips
Three "Special" White chips
Three "Special" Blue chips
Three "Special" Red chips
Three "Special" Light-Blue chips
Three->Six "Special" Pink chips
Three "Special" Orange chips
Three "Special" Grey chips

The "Special" Chips.
(Changes to chips this year are in italics)

White
- "Merry Christmas!" - The player pulling this chip may exchange it for one free re-buy or add-on.
Blue - "Super Shopper" - Keep track of how many times you win over the next 8 hands and collect a bonus based on the number of wins: 0 - $0, 1 - $100, 2 - $500, 3 - $1,000, 4 - $1,500, 5 - $2,000, 6 - $3,000, 7 - $5,000, 8 - $25,000. This chip goes away at break, which will limit the number of hands you're keeping track of.
Red - "Gift Exchange!" - The player pulling this chip, exchanges all their chips with the all the chips of the player to thier left.
Light Blue - "Don't open your Presents Early!" - If this chip is pulled before the first break, you get a green 25 chip from the bank. If it's pulled after the first break, it counts as it's value (5,000)
Orange - "Peaking at Presents" - When a player wins a pot, you may use this chip to reveal one of their hole cards, chosen at random. Give this chip to that player, it stays in play. You may not play 2 orange chips on the same hand. This chip goes away at the first break.
Pink - "SUPER ULTRA-SECRET XMAS PRESENT!!!11OMG1!!" - Go find Rob. Spin the Spinner! What will your present be?!? If you don't like the result you may spin again up to twice more, but you have to keep the third and final spin.
Grey - "Bah Humbug!" - Keep this chip until you win a pot, bust out, or choose to get rid of it, but only if you've been the big blind with it. While you have this chip you only get dealt one hole card. If you win a hand holding this chip, get a 2,000 bonus from the bank! If you still have this chip after the first break you can exchange it for a black "100" chip. Bah-Humbug.
Green - "Company's Coming!" - Exchanges places (not chips) with any player at any other table and that player takes your spot. If there are two floors of tables running, you also must switch floors. Take your chips with you.

Special rules for the "Bag 'o Presents"

1. You do not need to win the hand at showdown in order to claim a present. (But you do have to show your cards!) Your hand needs to either be still in play after the final round of betting, or All-In with at least one caller.
2. If you bust out (but win a present), the present you've drawn is applied after you re-buy. If you choose not to re-buy, you don't pull a present. If it's after the rebuy period and you bust out. You are still in the game with only the chip you pull from the bag. (We'll call it a "Last Minute Xmas Gift")
3. If you pull a present that's already been coloured up... the present is discarded. Tough luck! Feel free to shout, "Bah, Humbug!"
4. The white, red and blue chips will be removed from the bag during the first break. For each one removed a yellow chip (1,000) will be put back in. Pink Chips get replace by Orange (2,000) chips. Orange and Grey ship stay in the bag and retain their value (2,000 and 10,000)
5. If a table collapses and there are still presents on it, the presents are randomly distributed to the other bags. We will randomly determine the tables to be broken down, players will re-draw seats as each table collapse.
6. "The Night Before Xmas" When there are 10 minutes left in the 4th blind level, the clock is paused and play on all tables is paused once the current hands are done. The puck is moved and, starting with the small blind, each player may optionally draw once from the bag of presents. Once everything's resolved, the clock is unpaused and play continues.

Secret Santa

In addition to your $5 buy-in, you are to bring in a wrapped Secret Santa gift of undetermined value. This gift can really be anything you want; something cool, or something... not as cool. When you finally bust out of the tournament, you get to pick one of the Secret Santa gifts, open it, and display it proudly for everyone else.

Blind Schedule (1 hour for Level 1, 30 minute levels for 2->4, 20 minutes per level thereafter)

NOTE: Starting with this tournament, The Compound will start using Big Blind Antes for every tournament.

Level 1: 25-25 (1 hour)
Level 2: 25-50 (30 min)
Level 3: 25-75
Level 4: 50-100
(FOOD DINNER/BREAK: Complete add-ons. Clean up the Bag 'O Presents. Play any dinner break bonus games.)
Level 5: 75-150 (20 min)
Level 6: 100-200
Level 7: 100-200 (25)
Level 8: 150-300 (50)
Level 9: 200-400 (50)
Level 10: 300-600 (75)
(BREAK: Race off 25 chips)
Level 11: 400-800 (100)
Level 12: 500-1,000 (100)
Level 13: 600-1,200 (200)
Level 14: 800-1,600 (200)
Level 15: 1,000-2,000 (300)
(BREAK: Race off 100 chips)
Level 16: 1,500-3,000 (500)
Level 17: 2,000-4,000 (500)
Level 18: 3,000-6,000 (1,000)
Level 19: 4,000-8,000 (1,000)
Level 20: 5,000-10,000 (1,000)

(Note: breaks after 100 race off will be on an as-needed basis)

Remember, the number one rule is.. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cash games will be running as players bust out of the Main Tournament.

Please RSVP your spot, please send me a message. If there's a question you have, or if you discover a rules inconsistency, please let me know! All tourneys at Bristol Street are rake free.

Rob.

Comments

• Reserve List

1. Zithal
    2. DataMn
    3. DrTyore
    4. TheRussian
    5. Big E
    6. Ahrens
    7. MrCaspan
    8. Flash05
    9. 8ball
    10. Flash05+1
    11. 8ball+1
    12. ThisOrThat
    14. kwmatt
    15. magithighs
    16. ItsaMe
    20. flash05+2
    21. Kanga
    22. beanie42
    23. Seabass
    24. JJ Grubster
    25. Moose
    27. Adam W
    28. Pinhead
    29. SeekTheGrail
    30. Nick B
    31. Shapiro
    32. Dreamlivin

Alternates

• Nicole and I are in !
  • Sign me up please!
  • Sign me up please , sent you PM
  • I'm in +1 "Jay" thx
  • 8ball IN!!
    I know some people who are not in the forum. I can vouch for them. Can I pass on an invite?
  • Not a problem!
    8ball wrote: »
    8ball IN!!
    I know some people who are not in the forum. I can vouch for them. Can I pass on an invite?
  • Hey zithal u didn't add my +1
  • Zithal wrote: »
    Not a problem!

Add 8ball +1. Possibly more to come.
  • deal me in

"I'd rather be lucky than good"
  • In please
  • 8ball wrote: »
    Add 8ball +1. Possibly more to come.

8ball +3 more
  • Another +1 plz n thx
  • Sry rob me +3 total 1 is tent
  • One more please and thank you. Your poker playing buddy from university residence.
  • Moose
    Mmoose
  • Adam W would like a seat please
    NEW DATE!!!

2018 Merry Xmas Madness
    No-Limit Hold'em Tournament
    Saturday, Jan 19th, 2018 at 2pm.
    (doors open at 1:30pm)

The Xmas season is all about gift giving (and getting!) and beating those mad rushes to get the best gifts while the clock ticks down to Christmas Eve. The Merry Xmas Madness tournament contains all the best (and worst) aspects of the season and should make for that tournament that's... very interesting. This tournament is a little less serious that some of the others. The details....

$5 Entry for 1,000 chips.
    (PLUS: BRING A SECRET SANTA GIFT!!)

Unl. rebuys in the first 4 levels (2.5 hours); $5 for 1,000 (you must bust out to rebuy)
    One add-on available at the end of Level 4. $5 for an extra 5,000 chips.
    And... a Bag 'o Presents available at every table!!

Payout: (rounded to nearest $5)
    1st place - 35%
    2nd place - 20%
    3rd place - 14%
    4th place - 11%
    5th place - 8%
    6th place - 6%
    7th place - 4%
    8th place - 2%

Maximum number of Players: ?? - ? tables of eight (Please RSVP)
    We will try to accommodate as many people as possible, but I may need help with chairs.

At the beginning of the tournament, each table receives one "Bag 'o Presents". If you win a hand, or play a hand down to the river and one of your hole cards is the "2 of Hearts" -OR- the "A of Spades". You must pull one present (at random) from the Bag 'o Presents. Each Bag will contain the following...

PLEASE NOTE: We may be changing up some of the rules this year, so consider the chip amounts and what they do tentative. Except the "Red Chip" There will always be a red chip. :smilie:

Three black 100 chips
    Three purple 500 chips
    Three yellow 1,000 chips
    Three "Special" green chips
    Three "Special" White chips
    Three "Special" Blue chips
    Three "Special" Red chips
    Three "Special" Light-Blue chips
    Three->Six "Special" Pink chips
    Three "Special" Orange chips
    Three "Special" Grey chips

The "Special" Chips.

White - "Merry Christmas!" - The player pulling this chip may exchange it for one free re-buy or add-on.
    Blue - "Secret Santa!" - The player pulling this chip is feeling especially generous and will be moving All-In blind on the very next hand
    Red - "Gift Exchange!" - The player pulling this chip, exchanges all their chips with the all the chips of the player to thier left.
    Light Blue - "Don't open your Presents Early!" - If this chip is pulled before the first break, you get a green 25 chip from the bank. If it's pulled after the first break, it counts as it's value (5,000)
    Orange - "Christmas in Omaha" - At any point, trade in this chip for 2 more hole cards. Use any combination of the board cards and your four hole cards to make the best hand. If you still have this chip after the first break it becomes it's value (2,000)
    Pink - "SUPER ULTRA-SECRET XMAS PRESENT!!!11OMG1!!" - Go find Rob. Spin the Spinner! What will your present be?!? If you don't like the result you may spin again up to twice more, but you have to keep the third and final spin.
    Grey - "Bah Humbug!" - Keep this chip until you win a pot or bust out. While you have this chip you only get dealt one hole card. If you still have this chip after the first break you can exchange it for a black "100" chip. Bah-Humbug.
    Green - "Company's Coming!" - Exchanges places (not chips) with any player at any other table and that player takes your spot. If there are two floors of tables running, you also must switch floors. Take your chips with you.

Special rules for the "Bag 'o Presents"

1. You do not need to win the hand at showdown in order to claim a present. (But you do have to show your cards!) Your hand needs to either be still in play after the final round of betting, or All-In with at least one caller.
    2. If you bust out (but win a present), the present you've drawn is applied after you re-buy. If you choose not to re-buy, you don't pull a present. If it's after the rebuy period and you bust out. You are still in the game with only the chip you pull from the bag. (We'll call it a "Last Minute Xmas Gift")
    3. If you pull a present that's already been coloured up... the present is discarded. Tough luck! Feel free to shout, "Bah, Humbug!"
    4. The white, red and blue chips will be removed from the bag during the first break. For each one removed a yellow chip (1,000) will be put back in. Pink Chips get replace by Orange (2,000) chips. Orange and Grey ship stay in the bag and retain their value (2,000 and 10,000)
    5. If a table collapses and there are still presents on it, the presents are randomly distributed to the other bags. We will randomly determine the tables to be broken down, players will re-draw seats as each table collapse.
    6. "The Night Before Xmas" When there are 10 minutes left in the 4th blind level, the clock is paused and play on all tables is paused once the current hands are done. The puck is moved and, starting with the small blind, each player may optionally draw once from the bag of presents. Once everything's resolved, the clock is unpaused and play continues.

Secret Santa

In addition to your $5 buy-in, you are to bring in a wrapped Secret Santa gift of undetermined value. This gift can really be anything you want; something cool, or something... not as cool. When you finally bust out of the tournament, you get to pick one of the Secret Santa gifts, open it, and display it proudly for everyone else.

Blind Schedule (1 hour for Level 1, 30 minute levels for 2->4, 20 minutes per level thereafter)

NOTE: Starting with this tournament, The Compound will start using Big Blind Antes for every tournament.

Level 1: 25-25 (1 hour)
    Level 2: 25-50 (30 min)
    Level 3: 25-75
    Level 4: 50-100
    (FOOD DINNER/BREAK: Complete add-ons. Clean up the Bag 'O Presents. Play any dinner break bonus games.)
    Level 5: 75-150 (20 min)
    Level 6: 100-200
    Level 7: 100-200 (25)
    Level 8: 150-300 (50)
    Level 9: 200-400 (50)
    Level 10: 300-600 (75)
    (BREAK: Race off 25 chips)
    Level 11: 400-800 (100)
    Level 12: 500-1,000 (100)
    Level 13: 600-1,200 (200)
    Level 14: 800-1,600 (200)
    Level 15: 1,000-2,000 (300)
    (BREAK: Race off 100 chips)
    Level 16: 1,500-3,000 (500)
    Level 17: 2,000-4,000 (500)
    Level 18: 3,000-6,000 (1,000)
    Level 19: 4,000-8,000 (1,000)
    Level 20: 5,000-10,000 (1,000)

(Note: breaks after 100 race off will be on an as-needed basis)

Remember, the number one rule is.. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cash games will be running as players bust out of the Main Tournament.

Please RSVP your spot, please send me a message. If there's a question you have, or if you discover a rules inconsistency, please let me know! All tourneys at Bristol Street are rake free.

Rob.

I would like a spot
  • I corrected flash05’s numbers and added seabass. If go above 32, I may need to borrow a few folding chairs. I should be able to handle 40 players if needed.

Cheers!!
  • Me please!
  • Hey all!

Just a heads up that we’ll be running a .25/.50 $60max cash game as soon as the first table breaks. I’m going to cap the tournament at 40, but have a fun way to handle alternates if we go over.

Tomorrow, I’m going to announce a few changes to the chips to mix things up a bit this year. :)
  • Hey Rob! Sign me up please! Cheers, Steve
  • Posting for someone, can you add “Nick B” to the list
    Hey all!

Just a heads up that we’ll be running a .25/.50 $60max cash game as soon as the first table breaks. I’m going to cap the tournament at 40, but have a fun way to handle alternates if we go over.

Tomorrow, I’m going to announce a few changes to the chips to mix things up a bit this year. :)

I believe we were promised exciting updates? Mixing things up?

Mark
  • Also can we get the address?
  • Driving is not looking good for Nicole and I coming from Hamilton tomorrow. We probably won't be able to make it.
  • Address PM'd. If anyone else needs it, please let me know. :) Please note that I'm no longer on Bristol St. (for those that haven't played in a few years).

Also, a reminder to enter through the front door. I'll have boot trays and a table set up for coats.

Been working on a few changes, they are listed here and I'll update the OP with the details...

Special Chip Updates

Grey "Bah Humbug!" - Keep this chip until you win a pot, bust out, or choose to get rid of it. While you have this chip you only get dealt one hole card. If you win a hand holding this chip, get a 2,000 bonus from the bank! If you still have this chip after the first break you can exchange it for a black "100" chip. Bah-Humbug.

Notes: Grey was all downside and a little cruel and creates times that were not fun, so I wanted to add some upside to it, with a little risk. You can now choose to get rid of the chip whenever you wish, BUT, if you win a hand with it, including pushing with no callers, you get bonus chips!

Orange "Peaking at Presents" - When a player wins a pot, you may use this chip to reveal one of their hole cards, chosen at random. Give this chip to that player, it stays in play. You may not play 2 orange chips on the same hand. This chip goes away at the first break.

Notes: While Xmas in Omaha has been a classic chip, it gives the player that gets it a little too much power (always threatening to draw extra cards in any hand). I wanted a power that would be more fun, and would stick around. Potentially, by the first break, there will be three of these will be moving around a table. To encourage its use, it simply goes away at break.

Blue "Super Shopper" - Keep track of how many times you win over the next 8 hands and collect a bonus based on the number of wins: 0 - $0, 1 - $100, 2 - $500, 3 - $1,000, 4 - $1,500, 5 - $2,000, 6 - $3,000, 7 - $5,000, 8 - $25,000. This chip goes away at break, which will limit the number of hands you're keeping track of.

Notes: The all-in chip was getting a little boring, so I wanted to experiment with a chip that would stick around for a bit, providing a fun risk vs reward situation.

Pink - "SUPER ULTRA-SECRET XMAS PRESENT!!!11OMG1!!"

Notes: Just a quick note that we're increasing this to 7 chips. The dinner break flipament will still happen, but will not have a cap, and people can still be entered more than once. There will be prizes for semi-finals and up.

CHEERS!!!
  • I would suggest that the grey chip has to have 'some' penalty. I would change the rule that you have to keep the grey chip until you are the big blind and then you can use it to post the big blind and it will have a value equal to the big blind. So it works as a free big blind but you can only receive one card until you are the bb as a penalty. So if you win or bust with it beforehand you receive a free rebuy (2000) as the bonus, otherwise you must keep it until BB and get a free BB.

If you get it in the BB, well you can use it right away. If you get it in the SB, you are going to have to keep it for a full orbit. If they get it when they are below starting stack then it's a free shove because they either win with one hole card or bust and get a free rebuy.

Call it the lump of coal that eventually has some value.
  • I do agree with some penalty, actually so I'll do a minor adjustments that you can only choose to get rid of it after being the big blind with it. (you can still keep it to go for the 2k bonus). Thanks!!