PFC online league to live event (idea)

What do you guys think of making a weekly online league with a point system and the top ranks gets a entry to a live tournament. (this will depend on buyin and amount of players we get)

I've never played in a league before so I'm not sure how to set this up, but it could be something like 55$ per player and we can make a home game on stars of 0.11c over (4-8) weeks. Assuming we have 20 players thats a 1.1k entry to a live event (or top 3 get a entry to wsop-c side event).

I could help by getting friends to join the forum and the league to get more players.

Thoughts?

Edit:

Interest:
Sn1perb0y
Blondfish
Billmaff
UbetIfold
thevictor23
Djgolfcan
Trigs
cardead
prophet22

Start date Sunday March 13.

I already made a Home game

Name: PFC online league.
ID: 2051449
PM me for invitation code.

Comments

• I have participated in live leagues in the past and they were always a blast. I will, to start, say its of interest to me. I guess date and time dependent.
  • I hate Amaya, :rage: but assuming this forum league will be on PokerStars, I'm willing to support it.
  • what day is best? Sunday?

you will need 0.44c-0.88 to to be able to play all (depending on how many weeks), the buyin money can be sent to someone.
  • Is our old home game league still set up on stars? We used to have a regular Sunday night game but the interest died out after a while.
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    Is our old home game league still set up on stars? We used to have a regular Sunday night game but the interest died out after a while.

still set up i'm pretty sure.
  • Like the idea, count me me in.
  • Interest:
    Sn1perb0y
    Blondfish
    Billmaff
    UbetIfold
    thevictor23
    Djgolfcan
    Cardead?
    Trigs?

Start date Sunday March 13?
  • i have actually suggested something very similar to this in the past and it never happened (but i really didn't push it too hard). the only thing i'd be worried about is being able to play it every week as i can't guarantee that. if i can't play it every week, then i'd have no chance of winning obviously because i'd be way behind on points.

what time are we thinking? will it run every sunday for 4-8 weeks?

what do people think about members winning a piece of the live event action depending on final points ranking? this would make me more interested since, again, i would most likely not win on account of not being able to play every tournament.
  • Run 8 weeks, take best 5 finishes?
  • Also correct me if I'm wrong but i think play money games work too, in case anyone dosent want to dick around with 11 cents etc.
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    Run 8 weeks, take best 5 finishes?

Maybe even a mix of games? Example:

5x NLHE
    3x PLO
    1x 8-game (bonus round!)
    Run 8 weeks, take best 5 finishes?

this is a good idea. the only issue i might see is if i win a tournament with 6 people and you win one with 20 people, are first place points the same? should i be punished and get less points simply because others were too lazy to show up to play the week that i could? we'd obviously have to all agree one some stance, but i'd be fine with what everyone else thinks is fair.
    Bfillmaff wrote: »
    Maybe even a mix of games? Example:

5x NLHE
    3x PLO
    1x 8-game (bonus round!)

i'm completely indifferent about using other formats.

EDIT: and plus one for play money. much easier for those who don't have money online. i'm assuming we are all sending money up front to someone to hold onto...?
  • Would be interested in the play money league
  • Count me in, id be down for either play money or real money doesnt matter
  • play money league is better, avoids depositing etc..

I prefer it to just be NLH since I have no idea how to play other games.

As for how the points should be distributed, imo, assume we have 20 people 1st gets x points 2nd gets x point etc.. everyone will register for all weeks and sitout if they didn't show up.

Can someone post a good point system?
  • sn1perb0y wrote: »
    Can someone post a good point system?

easiest point system (for 20 members) would be to have points based on number of people. i.e. 20 - 1st, 19 - 2nd, 18 - 3rd etc.
  • trigs wrote: »
    easiest point system (for 20 members) would be to have points based on number of people. i.e. 20 - 1st, 19 - 2nd, 18 - 3rd etc.

This would also alot more points for larger fields.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »

Does this mean it is good for a 15-20 player field?

well, we could do it by number of entrants in that particular tournament (which would allot more points for bigger fields), or we could do it by total members in the "league" with players not participating receiving automatic zeroes (or as sniper said, everyone registers for every tournament and just sit out if they can't make it and they finish where they finish then).

again, i don't know which is better. i do have some issues with someone beating 8 guys and getting 20 points while someone else beats 20 guys and gets the same amount of points. however, anyone who can't commit to every single tournament should really just pass as they will most likely have no chance of winning and would be wasting their time and money (unless they could still win a percentage like i mentioned above - you know, the point everyone so far has ignored :D).
    Does this mean it is good for a 15-20 player field?

it would work for any number.
    (unless they could still win a percentage like i mentioned above - you know, the point everyone so far has ignored :D).

just to elaborate on my suggestion: winner of the league gets the $1100 to play a live tournament (or tournaments i guess). winner gets something like 80%-90% of any winnings from the live tournament and the other 10%-20% is divided among the rest of the league members based on how they finished in the points ranking. obviously, percentages would depend on how many members we have. even if only the top 5 or something win a percentage, it's still incentive to play.

Other leagues I know of use a formula similar to this one:
    =ROUND(SQRT(# of Players)/SQRT(Position of Elimination)*2,2)

20 ppl, 1st = 8.94, middle = 2.83, last = 2
    15 ppl, 1st = 7.75, middle = 2.93 (7th) 2.74 (8th), last = 2
    10 ppl, 1st = 6.32, middle = 2.83, last = 2
    5 ppl, 1st = 4.47, middle = 2.58 (3rd), last = 2

You can adjust the points given by changing the multiplication factor if you don't like all the smaller numbers

In anticipating a field of 20, by changing the multiplication factor to 22.36,
    1st place = 100.00 pts, last is 22.36

15 runners: 1st = 86.6
    10 runners: 1st = 70.71
    5 runners: 1st = 50

etc...
    just to elaborate on my suggestion: winner of the league gets the $1100 to play a live tournament (or tournaments i guess). winner gets something like 80%-90% of any winnings from the live tournament and the other 10%-20% is divided among the rest of the league members based on how they finished in the points ranking. obviously, percentages would depend on how many members we have. even if only the top 5 or something win a percentage, it's still incentive to play.

I doubt anyone would have problems with having 10% for the participants, although It would be nicer if it would to a side event like the wsop $365 so that it would be more than one entry.
  • I like snipers idea of everybody regs up front and if you don't show up its on you. Its not like missing one (or two or even 3) means you are fucked, as best 5 out of 8 means you can skip up to 3 games if needed with no penalty - I think that is tons of room to work around scheduling issues.

IMO points should be the same regardless of entry count. everyone has the same opportunity to participate, therefore it is only luck that determines if you happen to get a shorthanded game - making it a non issue.

point structure, could be something like: 1st 10 pts, 2nd 7 pts, 3rd 4 pts. 4th 1 pt. (regardless of game size.) simple is key.

yes an equity game sounds good.

making progress, lets do it!
  • I don't think the equity payout should be dependent on a person's finish though. Everyone contributed to the winners entry the same, so the equity payout should be equal.
  • I think 8 is way too many, specially that WPT Montreal and WSOP-c is by end of April i think if we do it for 6 weeks starting March 13th, we would be done by April 17th.

I have two friends that will let me know tonight if they want to join. Billmaff would you mind being escrow?
    I have two friends that will let me know tonight if they want to join. Billmaff would you mind being escrow?

I'd be ok with that, I know where he lives. :)
    I like snipers idea of everybody regs up front and if you don't show up its on you.

i'm fine with this.
    IMO points should be the same regardless of entry count. everyone has the same opportunity to participate, therefore it is only luck that determines if you happen to get a shorthanded game - making it a non issue.

point structure, could be something like: 1st 10 pts, 2nd 7 pts, 3rd 4 pts. 4th 1 pt. (regardless of game size.) simple is key.

i'm not picky about points structure. as long as we all agree and keep it simple.
    djgolfcan wrote: »
    I don't think the equity payout should be dependent on a person's finish though. Everyone contributed to the winners entry the same, so the equity payout should be equal.

i'm fine with this if everyone agrees, but keep in mind that if we're doing at least 1% then that is 19% from winner (if we get 20 members that is).
    sn1perb0y wrote: »
    I doubt anyone would have problems with having 10% for the participants, although It would be nicer if it would to a side event like the wsop $365 so that it would be more than one entry.

again, i'm fine with money being used for more than one tournament, but if that is the case i'd like some sort of time frame in place. i.e. winner has to finish within the next month or something like that.
    I think 8 is way too many, specially that WPT Montreal and WSOP-c is by end of April i think if we do it for 6 weeks starting March 13th, we would be done by April 17th.

6 weeks with top four finishes counting?
    Billmaff would you mind being escrow?

that's fine with me but keep in mind that we're giving our money to the guy with all the guns :D
  • Any time you have a league structure you have to adjust for # of participants in each event unless it's the same number every time. Therefore it has to go one of two ways:
    a) everyone pays for and plays every event like OPT does, and gets blinded out if they can't make it that day, OR
    B) you pay for each event you play in, and each entrant adds x points to the prize pool and the points get allocated out based on a predetermined formula that is dependent on the # of runners that day (e.g. 50/30/20), just like a cash tourney would be handled. Then whatever cash has been collected gets distributed based on the final standings.

Option a) makes the most sense for this format and is easiest to run. Drawback is that its tough for many ppl to commit to every event, especially with 2 events during March break. Only counting the top 4 scores would be very helpful.

Option b) only works if there is a payout for each week.
    I don't think the equity payout should be dependent on a person's finish though. Everyone contributed to the winners entry the same, so the equity payout should be equal.

agreed
    Billmaff would you mind being escrow?

Sure if everyone is cool with it. Will make the payouts at the end easier as I'll probably win ;)

trigs wrote: »
    6 weeks with top four finishes counting?

I like it.
    trigs wrote: »
    that's fine with me but keep in mind that we're giving our money to the guy with all the guns :D

translation: your money is secure!
    Card Dead wrote: »
    a) everyone pays for and plays every event like OPT does, and gets blinded out if they can't make it that day, OR

agreed this makes life way easier and is totally fair with only the top 4 finishes counting.