Election 2015 . . .

Monday is the day, folks.

Vote early and vote often . . . might be the only hope Harper has. :D

Comments

• Cast my ballet on Thanksgiving Sunday. Waited 30 minutes but we didn't mind.

The Prime Minister didn't get any help from us :)
  • Unlike the advance poll, almost all the tables in the school gym were empty. I tried to multi-table and vote often as Milo wanted, but I was told that it's one-player-per-vote. It's rigged!
    Milo wrote: »
    Vote early and vote often . . . might be the only hope Harper has. :D
  • Voted for my Liberal candidate in my riding that the NDP have won for 40 years in a row now.
  • Looks like they are gonna do it... GG and congrats on one hell of a marketing campaign.

Not gonna hate... if we're gonna just throw all this shit on the credit card for the next generation to pay for I might as well enjoy it. Legal weed too!!
  • Don't forget Gun Registry 2.0
  • 33-0-0-0 Liberal lead at the moment.. Course it is Johnnie's turf... still.
  • Definitely an anti Harper vote but Trudeau scares me. Hope I'm wrong... His dad was dangerous... Even though the general public now remember him somewhat fondly...
  • Sometimes your party needs tough love
  • don't fuck us trudeau! kind of surprised it was that much of a win.
  • trigs wrote: »
    don't fuck us trudeau! kind of surprised it was that much of a win.

I agree that the victory was coming, the surprise was by how much. As far as the first part of the statement, your joking right?

Prophet22
  • I agree that the victory was coming, the surprise was by how much. As far as the first part of the statement, your joking right?

Prophet22

no i'm serious. i'm happy as long as harper didn't win, but i lean way to the political left. i would have loved for NDP to win (only because there's not a more left leaning party in canada that has any chance of winning - green party is actually more right leaning than liberals on certain issues).
    no i'm serious. i'm happy as long as harper didn't win, but i lean way to the political left. i would have loved for NDP to win (only because there's not a more left leaning party in canada that has any chance of winning - green party is actually more right leaning than liberals on certain issues).

Go back over the Party platforms. In some ways the Libs were left of the NDP this time round . . . deliberately so.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Go back over the Party platforms. In some ways the Libs were left of the NDP this time round . . . deliberately so.

sweet.
  • Sunny days, my friends, sunny days.
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    Looks like they are gonna do it... GG and congrats on one hell of a marketing campaign.

Not gonna hate... if we're gonna just throw all this shit on the credit card for the next generation to pay for I might as well enjoy it. Legal weed too!!

Please don't act like debt and deficits mean anything to Conservatives. Harper ran 7 straight deficits and added $180B new debt, second only to Mulroney in the history of Canada. And what do we have to show for it? Not one major infrastructure project or military acquisition, and a stagnant economy. Yes, our children and grandchildren will be paying off Harper's debt for years to come. He was no better than anyone and worse than most.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Definitely an anti Harper vote but Trudeau scares me. Hope I'm wrong... His dad was dangerous... Even though the general public now remember him somewhat fondly...

That's ok, man. Conservatives are always scared of something. That was their whole campaign after all.
  • I think I want to buy kwsteve a drink sometime.
    I think I want to buy kwsteve a drink sometime.

Come to Moose's on Thursday night. Looks like a short table. :)
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    That's ok, man. Conservatives are always scared of something. That was their whole campaign after all.

And with good reason no? With the Liberials in power in Ontario and Federal, there isn't going to be many checks and balances. Time will tell. I think Trigs fears are justified and will come to pass. Its a matter of what you are willing to live with and what you are willing to live without.

Prophet22
  • And with good reason no? With the Liberials in power in Ontario and Federal, there isn't going to be many checks and balances. Time will tell. I think Trigs fears are justified and will come to pass. Its a matter of what you are willing to live with and what you are willing to live without.

Prophet22

Trigs fears? No, compuease's fears. And no, there is no reason to be afraid. Canada will remain the great country it has always been. Heck, the dollar and the stock market already took a jump in one day. Don't conservatives consider that a good sign?
    Please don't act like debt and deficits mean anything to Conservatives. Harper ran 7 straight deficits and added $180B new debt, second only to Mulroney in the history of Canada. And what do we have to show for it? Not one major infrastructure project or military acquisition, and a stagnant economy. Yes, our children and grandchildren will be paying off Harper's debt for years to come. He was no better than anyone and worse than most.

I hear a lot of people saying Canada is the worst place ever under Harper but it has seemed pretty damn good to me, though obviously nowhere is perfect. I don't think it's as easy as saying "they added some debt, they suck" considering they successfully navigated a global recession during that time, among other things. I also don't think the other two parties would have done better either, much worse IMO. But 10 years of the same guy is a long time, so there was little chance of Harper staying in.

It doesn't matter anyway because the election is over, they won, and now we're talking about the future. The newly elected government is going to spend a shitload of money... They aren't hiding that fact, it is right there in the plan. We'll just have to see how it goes I guess. I like a lot of liberal ideas but it is going to be harder to balance the budget than it sounded in those speeches. That didn't matter either though, because whether it is doable or not everyone ate it up - they wanted the other guy out that bad.

Like I said, not gonna hate.... they won fair and square so I'll give them a shot and smoke a legal joint while I'm at it... I hope it works and they prove me wrong.
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    I hear a lot of people saying Canada is the worst place ever under Harper but it has seemed pretty damn good to me, though obviously nowhere is perfect. I don't think it's as easy as saying "they added some debt, they suck" considering they successfully navigated a global recession during that time, among other things. I also don't think the other two parties would have done better either, much worse IMO. But 10 years of the same guy is a long time, so there was little chance of Harper staying in.

It doesn't matter anyway because the election is over, they won, and now we're talking about the future. The newly elected government is going to spend a shitload of money... They aren't hiding that fact, it is right there in the plan. We'll just have to see how it goes I guess. I like a lot of liberal ideas but it is going to be harder to balance the budget than it sounded in those speeches. That didn't matter either though, because whether it is doable or not everyone ate it up - they wanted the other guy out that bad.

Like I said, not gonna hate.... they won fair and square so I'll give them a shot and smoke a legal joint while I'm at it... I hope it works and they prove me wrong.

Well, you survived Harper and Mulroney so you'll survive anybody else who comes after. It's impossible for them to be any worse. And we might actually get some infrastructure built. Don't worry. Don't be afraid. :)

I've said this before because it's true. The debt of sovereign states is of no concern for individual citizens. Debt can, and will, accumulate forever. Conservatives blow it out of proportion to scare citizens and force them to accept cuts in public services. The USA has no intention of ever paying off its $17 Trillion debt and it's not hurting them. And our minuscule debt in Canada doesn't hurt us either, despite what the doom and gloom sayers want us to believe.

America is $17 Trillion in Debt ? Here's Why You Shouldn't Be Worried - Mic
    http://www.thenation.com/article/we-should-never-pay-down-our-17-trillion-debt-just-ask-the-imf/
    Come to Moose's on Thursday night. Looks like a short table. :)

i actually really want to since it is saturday afternoon, but i don't think i can. my gf and i take our october halloween horror movie watching very seriously which means that every weekend in october we have to stay up crazy late watching movies. we're also going to a halloween party on halloween so that's limiting our movie watching time.

this weekend we are planning on watching the halloween 1 and 2 remakes, grave halloween (this one we found last year. it's about a group of friends who decide to go spend halloween night in the suicide forest in japan - it's awesome!) and probably one that is not a horror like donnie darko. we're saving the original halloween 1 and 2 for halloween weekend as well as trick 'r treat (which is the best halloween movie ever!)
  • Have you seen Donnie Darko before?

If not... prepare to do homework.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Have you seen Donnie Darko before?

If not... prepare to do homework.

Mark

one of my favorite movies.
    I've said this before because it's true. The debt of sovereign states is of no concern for individual citizens.

How Does National Debt Affect You - Agonist Learning Center

How the National Debt Affects You - US News

https://www.phn.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1224

It seems that not everyone agrees with you.

Just got around to reading the article and the argument is basically "debt doesn't matter because we can just print more money."

Not sure about that one. But I, like 99.9% of voters, am not an expert.
  • I'm more with kwsteve on this one.. First of all Canada is in a very good position as far as national debt is concerned. The US not so much at the moment, however if the US GDP keeps growing at current levels for another 3-4 years that massive 17 Trillion will be much more manageable. Of much more importance to a country's economy is trade balances, ie do we export more than we import.... And it has to be natural trade balance, not subsidized by government funding, ie taxes... Key to this is employment levels. If we export more than we import then in general employment (ie taxpayers) will be high.

All those articles that you folks are referring to are just opinions, just that, nothing more. They get paid to write an article with a particular slant and that's it, nothing more. You young uns... sheesh, why not voice your own opinion, not just regurgitate recycled ones.
  • Of course some people don't agree. The people that want you to accept cuts in services and privatization of govt assets. Which you will because you're scared.

Government is Good - The Deficit Scare: Myth vs. Reality

Harper constantly 'harped' on balanced budgets while running massive deficits and running up the debt. How has your life been affected by Harper's massive debts? Give me one concrete example if you can.