Poker 888 crashing like crazy

I downloaded 888 and like it, the players are real easy. I came 4th in my first 45 man tourney. The only problem is the thing can't stay running for 20 mins and keeps crashing. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix ? The error is 'data execution' and it has nothing to do with my setup as many others are reporting frequent crashing.

For the record none of my other stuff ever crashes, movies, games, applets etc.. The 888 starting crashed 10 minutes after initial install

Comments

• I play there sporadically at best.........but I've not had crashing issues ever that I can recall.....
  • I play there quite a bit without issue.

Contact their support.
  • have you ever contacted support for technical issues ? its a waste of time. you tell them you have a virus and they tell you to update the firmware on your printer.

anyway I figured it out myself. poker.exe is trying to access memory outside of its allowed area and DEP catches it. the only work around was to turn data protection off in the boot.ini file. it works fine now
  • More likely it is some other application (malware?) that is overwriting something. Any tech support can only be as good as your ability to provide an accurate description of the symptoms. Your turning data protection off is likely only masking something else.

For those of you wondering what DEP (Data Execution Prevention) is, it is primarily used to prevent exploits or other nefarious softwares from operating in protected areas of the O/S. Some protection but only some. It would be rare for a well used program such as 888 to be causing this, as if it was, many users would be reporting it.

For those into heavy reading...
    Change Data Execution Prevention settings
  • luvs2fart wrote: »
    I downloaded 888 and like it, the players are real easy. I came 4th in my first 45 man tourney.

Bap?
  • At 1:1.5 mu tho...
  • UBetIFold wrote: »
    At 1:1.5 mu tho...
    Oh at least
  • compuease wrote: »
    More likely it is some other application (malware?) that is overwriting something. Any tech support can only be as good as your ability to provide an accurate description of the symptoms. Your turning data protection off is likely only masking something else.

For those of you wondering what DEP (Data Execution Prevention) is, it is primarily used to prevent exploits or other nefarious softwares from operating in protected areas of the O/S. Some protection but only some. It would be rare for a well used program such as 888 to be causing this, as if it was, many users would be reporting it.

For those into heavy reading...
    Change Data Execution Prevention settings

its got nothing to do with malware. it have no malware. its a fresh install of xp.
    its a fresh install of xp.
    Well that's very likely the problem... How do you know? There have been no patches of fixes for XP for a year or more... Why would you not be running at least 7?
    it have no malware. its a fresh install of xp.

dftvg2.jpg
  • Do you know what malware is ? How would there be any malware with a fresh install of XP . I've done nothing but download the drivers from IBM and an old copy of firefox .
  • What kind of a fresh install are we talking here? Like a silver backed CD-ROM copy of Windows XP with a hologram on it, or a copy that you downloaded from somewhere?

And if it's legit, maybe their software just doesn't play nice with a 14 year old operating system?
  • Ok, let's try and help you out here as I've done for many others au gratis..

First of all what's the make and model of your pc? If custom built what processor and motherboard make/model is it?

Secondly as Bfill asks, what did you use to reload the O/S?

Where are you downloading IBM drivers from? IBM hasn't made their own IBM branded systems since the 2005/6 era so if it's an IBM it's gotta be real old.

Oh and I think I know a little about malware, I live it daily...>:D
  • compuease do you read at all. this problem was solved 10 posts ago. why are you guys still continuing this thread with nonsense like silver backed cd's and malware.

"anyway I figured it out myself. poker.exe is trying to access memory outside of its allowed area and DEP catches it. the only work around was to turn data protection off in the boot.ini file. it works fine now "
  • Ya comp you total newb who wants to help a complete unknown. Fk u comp!

P.s. let me know about the bap.
    compuease do you read at all. this problem was solved 10 posts ago. why are you guys still continuing this thread

because as comp said turning off DEP probably masks the problem. You found a work around NOT a solution.

luvs2fart making lots of friends here.
    compuease do you read at all. this problem was solved 10 posts ago. why are you guys still continuing this thread with nonsense like silver backed cd's and malware.

"anyway I figured it out myself. poker.exe is trying to access memory outside of its allowed area and DEP catches it. the only work around was to turn data protection off in the boot.ini file. it works fine now "
    Suit yourself newb, it was an honest attempt to help someone who is obviously one of those "guys" who has a little computer knowledge, but, just enuff knowledge to get himself in trouble.. Please tell me you would not do any online financial transactions on that xp puter..
  • alright you guys suit yourself. I've just never seen so many bad calls in one post. it makes the poker888 response to update the firmware of my router seems like a good solution.
  • laugh all you want but I still maintain a 486 laptop with 3.1. its boots the OS in 3 seconds and looks as good as new.
  • Are you related to chaimer?
  • lol new guy is arguing comps with comp. :D

seriously comp, you are too nice. after the "can you read!?" comment directed toward you i'll tell this guy to fack off in a second.

maybe it's all that patience that comes with age >:D
  • trigs wrote: »
    lol new guy is arguing comps with comp. :D

seriously comp, you are too nice. after the "can you read!?" comment directed toward you i'll tell this guy to fack off in a second.

maybe it's all that patience that comes with age >:D

new guy made a fortune in comps and retired before comp ever got his first one. there was never any argument but after so many bad calls I have to put my foot down.

since nobody knew the answer or solution there responses were pointless. at this stage it could have been a piece of banana dried to a capacitor.

"malware" never had it, irrelevant

"silver lined cd's" wasn't the source irrelevant

"motherboard and cpu" it was spelled out it was a IBM

"the guys who knows very little about computers" has 30+ years of computing.

" doing financial transaction on a old PC " in the millions

keep on going guys you're 0 for 5.

it seems to be normal here. I don't blame you guys as there must be a lot of losing hands and a lot of time do nothing but forum troll. I read 30-40 post topics, 38 are often people with guesses or nothing good to add but confusion .
    new guy made a fortune in comps and retired before comp ever got his first one.

unless you are 200 years old and computers were around then, i think you may be wrong about this.
    there was never any argument but after so many bad calls I have to put my foot down.

you are correct that there was no argument...until you made it one and "put your foot down".
    since nobody knew the answer or solution there responses were pointless. at this stage it could have been a piece of banana dried to a capacitor.

comp never said he knew what the problem was. he in fact began asking questions to help you solve the problem.
    "malware" never had it, irrelevant

"silver lined cd's" wasn't the source irrelevant

"motherboard and cpu" it was spelled out it was a IBM

"the guys who knows very little about computers" has 30+ years of computing.

" doing financial transaction on a old PC " in the millions

keep on going guys you're 0 for 5.

it seems to be normal here. I don't blame you guys as there must be a lot of losing hands and a lot of time do nothing but forum troll. I read 30-40 post topics, 38 are often people with guesses or nothing good to add but confusion .

seriously guy, no one trolled you (okay pkrfce did but that's all he ever does). everyone who posted was being nice and trying to help (other than me because i'm an asshole apparently who didn't like you making these accusations).

if you think you were trolled in this thread, you better leave this forum now before you actually start getting trolled.

EDIT: i apologize for wasting my time and yours with my pointless comments, but i was bored.
    new guy made a fortune in comps and retired before comp ever got his first one.

//troll mode on//

Ah so you are chaimer.... or his brother..

//troll mode off//

I only do the above since as a mod around here I shouldn't troll...

but I do anyways..
  • IF op sticks around, this could turn out to be an epic thread.. We need GTA and pkrfce09 here more tho. Maybe Kristy as well..:)
  • Hey, Comp! Why does Pokerstars client always crash on me? This is my setup:

r70qdh.jpg
    Fresh install of MS-DOS so I don't know what the problem could be.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    Hey, Comp! Why does Pokerstars client always crash on me? This is my setup:

r70qdh.jpg
    Fresh install of MS-DOS so I don't know what the problem could be.
    I programmed one of these. Lolz.