Ask Me Anything: Drtyore

Hey

So, we did this a few years back, and I always enjoyed it (think we called it "week in the well" or something like that), but I hear the internet crowd calls it Ask me Anything, or AMA. So here's the deal.

Ask me anything you'd like. I offer fact to funny, entertainment to enlightenment, wisdom to witticism as best as I can provide. I will respond to every question posted, and I will bump this thread when it dies and the mood strikes me again. Mods, feel free to sticky it if y'all think it's worth it.

If youu would like a question answered seriously and not with humour, just say "serious question" and fire away. I won't pull punches, and will use my discretion when and if any topics come up relating to fellow forumers. I'm not trying to start trouble.... in this thread anyways.

Have at 'er.

Mark

Comments

• Serious: The meaning of life?
  • serious + humor: "history is written by the victors" doesn't that mean everything we know about the past could of been altered/ a lie?
  • Where are "they" hiding the aliens? You know who I mean . . .
  • Why is it that the people who Piss me off when I am driving seem to be closer to the Windshield than most and have a death grip on the steering wheel?

will save one car length Willy for another question!

Milton "Ten and Two" Slim
  • bluesky wrote: »
    Serious: The meaning of life?

To be serious...

This is an impossible question obviously. I think the closest I can answer is to parallel sn1perboy's thread about what makes a good person. I mention in that thread that everyone has intrinsic ideas of value. You need to chase those intrinsic values - or not. I think that everyone's self assessment as to how well they lived life will depend (if they're being honest with themselves) on how well they fulfilled their own ideas of what is important. If someone is family oriented, and raised a litter of kids successfully, they'd likely be good with their lives. Some people buy into various religions, which I feel takes the decision out of their hands, and I can't see how that can be a fulfilling life since it seems to me to be towing a line vs. doing some work yourself.

For me? I don't want kids, and I don't much understand why people dig them that much. I have a job that affords me some of the "parenting" stuff. I have nephews that were babies and are cute to play with, but now they're kids and are still entertaining. I have family and friends that I explore things that bring my enjoyment. Romantically? I'm still not sure that I'm the marriage and settle down kinda guy, but what I do have going on seems to be working for me. I guess for me, life is just enjoying what I'm doing, without ruining it for anyone else. I think death is terrifying, because I don't buy into afterlife, but I'm kinda okay with the fact that I'm just gonna kick around here for another 30-70 years (I hope!) and then be done. I'm okay with not being part of a bigger picture.

Mark
  • sn1perb0y wrote: »
    serious + humor: "history is written by the victors" doesn't that mean everything we know about the past could of been altered/ a lie?

Yes it does... but it's unlikely.

The thing that I've learned over the years is that truth can be seen if you know where to look. People's base motivations and desires don't much change. Do I think history is sensationalized and spun based on who is left to write it? Of course.

As for funny.. I did think last night that the bible may be one of the oldest collections of fanfic ever... made me giggle some.

Mark
  • Milo wrote: »
    Where are "they" hiding the aliens? You know who I mean . . .

Oh, that depends on which aliens you mean!! Some are kept by the sports illuminati... Jordan? Montana? Crosby? John Cena? Please... they're all alien hybrids to boost profits.

Then there are the super intelligent manipulator aliens.. they often hide in plain sight to guide and manipulate our popular culture! Michael Jackson, Joss Whedon, Spielberg? All clearly driving us towards compliance.... obesity problem? Please... thats just ruining our collective physical abilities to simplify the takeover.

There are more, but if I say anything else, it will activate the chip.

Mark
  • ddmilcan wrote: »
    Why is it that the people who Piss me off when I am driving seem to be closer to the Windshield than most and have a death grip on the steering wheel?

will save one car length Willy for another question!

Milton "Ten and Two" Slim

Have you considered the ones nearer the windshield are trying to get a peek at who is driving the car with their blinker on for the last twenty km, and driving fifteen under the limit?

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Have you considered the ones nearer the windshield are trying to get a peek at who is driving the car with their blinker on for the last twenty km, and driving fifteen under the limit?

Mark

looking in their mirror at themselves!!!
    There are too many drivers, afraid to be on the road, unsure of the size of their vehicle, and oblivious to the others around them.

Let me expand, I drive 30-35 km to work daily, do not drive at excessive speeds, respect truckers (even the ones that use the far left lane). there are days I think my car has a cloaking device!

I feel better, just sharing!

Milton Slim
  • What the hell did you do to knock the site off the internet for the last day and a half?
  • What are your thoughts on abortion?
  • Transformers or Go-bots
    Then there are the super intelligent manipulator aliens.. they often hide in plain sight to guide and manipulate our popular culture! Michael Jackson ...

You watch Black Dynamite? :)
  • Serious: DrTyore, you were among the posters and live players who inspired me to become better at poker when I first joined as a total :fish:. I mistakenly thought I could teach my brother how to make money at poker, so my question is:

What do you think are the key success factors that separate the thousands of forum & IRL players from those that are still able to win in today's much tougher games? In other words, what do I look for in a relative that I can pass on the best hobby?
    ddmilcan wrote: »
    Why is it that the people who Piss me off when I am driving seem to be closer to the Windshield than most and have a death grip on the steering wheel?
    LOL, when I have to overtake an overly slow car on the highway, it seems to be a senior most of the time. In our condo building, a senior mistakenly drove her car right through the building wall and into somebody's bedroom!

Signed,
    Soon-to-be eligible for Seniors Tournaments :-[
    What the hell did you do to knock the site off the internet for the last day and a half?

Bad karma seems to be tailing me this week....

10014554_10153997094205542_378587955919233467_n.jpg

Mark
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on abortion?

I consider myself less pro-choice than anti-pro-lilfe. This one tickled me....

george-carlin.jpg

Mark
  • 800OVER wrote: »
    Transformers or Go-bots

I'm a Transformers kinda guy on a Go-bot kinda budget. I had more GB than TF as a kid... and Michael Bay is still the devil.

Mark
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    You watch Black Dynamite? :)

I have no clue what that is...

<google-fu'ing>

I may have to though! I went through a summer of blaxploitation films... Blacula, Scream Blacula Scream, Detroit City 9000, Shaft (original)..

Mark
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Serious: DrTyore, you were among the posters and live players who inspired me to become better at poker when I first joined as a total :fish:. I mistakenly thought I could teach my brother how to make money at poker, so my question is:

What do you think are the key success factors that separate the thousands of forum & IRL players from those that are still able to win in today's much tougher games? In other words, what do I look for in a relative that I can pass on the best hobby?

First; find better inspirations in poker than me... I can't even beat Milo half the time. Second -and people are going to disagree with me here - back to basics. There's a reason Super System II was incredibly similar to Super System I IMO, good advice doesn't age. I think if your brother is new, he is likely going to play online at low stakes. I think the low stakes online games are as soft now as they were just as poker was booming. Simple, straightforward, tight aggressive play has been working for me for years. I think it got toughest online in the mid-late 00's when people came flocking, and then those that didn't go busto got good. But many of them have faded back from the game too. If your brother just sticks to the advice in the books, he'll win online (unless he doesn't understand the concepts). When he gets good enough to move up, he'll figure out what steps need to be taken then. I can't comment on that because I've never tried to step up my game to the "next level" so I don't really know what it takes.

LOL, when I have to overtake an overly slow car on the highway, it seems to be a senior most of the time. In our condo building, a senior mistakenly drove her car right through the building wall and into somebody's bedroom!

Signed,
    Soon-to-be eligible for Seniors Tournaments :-[

Bolded... I'm curious what the hell I did to inspire you? Figure if you got good enough nobody would kick you out of places for taking off your pants?

Mark
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    why

Forget it GTA, it's Chinatown....

Mark
  • Sorry about the car . . . hopefully nothing too valuable was lost. On the plus side, they didn't tip it over . . .
    Sorry about the car . . . hopefully nothing too valuable was lost. On the plus side, they didn't tip it over . . .

It was Mark's own doing from what I heard,lol.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    It was Mark's own doing from what I heard,lol.

A second look at that pic makes me curious . . . window smashed from the inside? Care to explain?
    A second look at that pic makes me curious . . . window smashed from the inside? Care to explain?

He bought a cheap piece of crap? ;)
  • Ya, no break in..

I just closed the hatch and it smashed... very weird and unfortunate way to start a weekend.

Mark
    Ya, no break in..

I just closed the hatch and it smashed... very weird and unfortunate way to start a weekend.

Mark

Hope you don't have too much trouble with insurance if you go that route, or warranty perhaps?
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Hope you don't have too much trouble with insurance if you go that route, or warranty perhaps?

Yeah, if still available I'd explore the warranty route first. At least bitch about it to them. That glass shouldn't have exploded just from closing the hatch.

Likely not worth it via insurance due to the deductible.

I kind of assume you have it addressed already.
  • FWIW - When we replaced the windshield in my wife's car we first asked if it would in any way affect our policy, including any "claims free" discounts or anything else in the fine print - they said it would have absolutely zero impact on our insurance, so we went ahead and claimed it.

I then found one of the "we pay the deductible" windshield shops and had it replaced, $0 total out of pocket. The whole process was actually very smooth which was a shock as I had assumed it would be a total pain in the ass start to finish.
    Bolded... I'm curious what the hell I did to inspire you?
    I remember your early strategy posts and website. There have always been nasty posts to newbies, which prevented many of us from sticking around long enough to post poker contributions, but Captain Asbestos showed me the way! :h:

I have to disagree with just "back to basics" strategy below. Of the thousands of players I've met since 2004, I'm having trouble thinking of many players that can still win online. When I ask winning live players if they play online, they usually say that they can't win online (or that it must be rigged).
    Second -and people are going to disagree with me here - back to basics. There's a reason Super System II was incredibly similar to Super System I IMO, good advice doesn't age. I think if your brother is new, he is likely going to play online at low stakes. I think the low stakes online games are as soft now as they were just as poker was booming. Simple, straightforward, tight aggressive play has been working for me for years. I think it got toughest online in the mid-late 00's when people came flocking, and then those that didn't go busto got good. But many of them have faded back from the game too. If your brother just sticks to the advice in the books, he'll win online (unless he doesn't understand the concepts).