$1/$2 $60 Max Game - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need serious help playing this $60 max game on the weekend!!! How do I avoid pushing blind on every hand?? How do I prevent all the regular players from going on tilt? Will I survive this 30BB challenge?? Stay tuned for a trip report.

Comments

• pokerJAH wrote: »
    I need serious help playing this $60 max game on the weekend!!! How do I avoid pushing blind on every hand?? How do I prevent all the regular players from going on tilt? Will I survive this 30BB challenge?? Stay tuned for a trip report.

Before you sit down, say, "Does anyone want to flip for stacks?"

Every hand bet $60 red/black.

Constantly top up.

Bring lots of extra chips for topping up and to sell for rebuys.

Get a $60 deuce-7 game going.

If it's a raked game. Don't play.

Bring some scotch.

Serious answer, dont be a dick.

These guys obv play 60 max for a reason, showing up and treating the game with disrespect (look at me, I light this kind of money on fire!) is not going to help you.

Just play regular 30bb poker and reload when required.

Acting like a baller in a low stakes game is just a dick move.
  • Bring some scotch.

I am a neophyte at this, but would recommend Still Waters Single Malt Whisky, or their Stalk and Barrel blended Whisky.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »

These guys obv play 60 max for a reason, showing up and treating the game with disrespect (look at me, I light this kind of money on fire!) is not going to help you.

Couldn't agree more.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »

But its fun! I plan to buy in light, $20, and try to work it up to $500. Rake free game.
    But its fun! I plan to buy in light, $20, and try to work it up to $500. Rake free game.

Buying in light is going to make the game even more unplayable for you. Try it and you'll see what I mean.
  • Before you sit down, say, "Does anyone want to flip for stacks?"

Every hand bet $60 red/black.

Constantly top up.

Bring lots of extra chips for topping up and to sell for rebuys.

Get a $60 deuce-7 game going.

If it's a raked game. Don't play.

Bring some scotch.
    Wetts1012 wrote: »

I could not agree more!!

Do not be a dick!

None of my post was serious. I should have put smiles on it.

Treat the game with respect!

:-) Bring some SINGLE MALT scotch! :-)
  • Milo wrote: »
    I am a neophyte at this, but would recommend Still Waters Single Malt Whisky, or their Stalk and Barrel blended Whisky.

I've not tried either of them. Can you post more detail? I'm always looking for good value in single malts. What's the best value in the LCBO?
  • I've not tried either of them. Can you post more detail? I'm always looking for good value in single malts. What's the best value in the LCBO?

https://www.stillwatersdistillery.com/

They started out bottling orphan casks of Scotch. when they started laying in casks of whisky they began selling Single Malt Vodka to make some $$$. This spring they started bottling their single malt whisky (they are now sold out of the cask #2, bottled at cask strength 63%). Their Single Malt Whisky goes for 79.95 (46% abv), while the cask strength bottles go for $99.95 (62-65% abv). Currently, you will only find their Single Malt Vodka in the LCBO, though they did announce that their blended Whisky (Stalk and Barrel) is FINALLY getting distributed in LCBO outlets. I am learning about Single Malts, but more learned opinions than mine rate their product very highly, despite their young age (3 years in the cask). Their blended whisky is VERY nice, imo, and theirs are the only spirits that I have found that I enjoy on their own, as well as mixed.

Also, you can purchase direct from the distillery in person or on-line.
  • I've seen it so often. A guy comes in to a low stakes game who usually plays way higher stakes; and he loses. Why? Because there is a disconnect between what a particular amount of money means to a particular player.

A guy for whom $60 is a lot of money gets involved in 6 hands all night yet cashes in for double his buyin. He's happy.

The guy who is used to pushing preflop allin for $60 ends up taking a couple of beats and ends up down 2 or 3 buyins. He whines all night long about bad beats.

Play to the level of the game.
  • Shouldn't be very difficult to adjust to 30bb stacks...what aspect do you need help with?
  • I'll start the ball rolling with strategy comments. Hopefully others will add to this.

People at this level don't vary their game. So paying attention to how they play is *MORE* important.

Preflop: Implied odds hands like small pairs and suited connectors go down in value. Top pair hands like AQo go up in value.

Prelop raise sizes. If you vary your preflop raises based on your hand, alert opponents will gain info on your hand. If the opponents aren't paying attention, then you can vary your raise sizes. It's okay to be exploitable if they aren't exploiting you.

Big raises to $17: If they call these big raises they are making bigger mistakes. Pot commit preflop!

Small raises to $4: This places more of an emphasis on postflop skill, since there is postflop play. Keeps the stack to pot size ratio high.

Limping!!!?? You can make preflop errors if you think you can make up for it with postflop skill. Since there is no rake limping is not as bad as a raked game! Keeping pot small preflop will make the best use of your (hopefully superior) postflop skill.
  • For example, Limping UTG with 22 is a mistake in a tight aggressive game. In a game with bad passive players I'll play 22.
  • For example, Limping UTG with 22 is a mistake in a tight aggressive game. In a game with bad passive players I'll play 22.

after how many scotches?
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    I've seen it so often. A guy comes in to a low stakes game who usually plays way higher stakes; and he loses. Why? Because there is a disconnect between what a particular amount of money means to a particular player.

A guy for whom $60 is a lot of money gets involved in 6 hands all night yet cashes in for double his buyin. He's happy.

The guy who is used to pushing preflop allin for $60 ends up taking a couple of beats and ends up down 2 or 3 buyins. He whines all night long about bad beats.

Play to the level of the game.

Bought in for $60 as planned...cashed out $460....don't expect to get invited back..TP to follow. Night of being behind but catching up.
  • Cannot begin to imagine why you would not be invited back . . .
  • Maybe he took a dump on the bathroom sink.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  • Or he "upper decked" the john . . .
    Cannot begin to imagine why you would not be invited back . . .

Honestly, nice bunch of guys, but the majority of the players I play with at other local 1/2 home games where the buy-ins range from $200 - $400 max. There were a couple other guys I had never played against, but they bought in really short and milked their stacks all night.

So I arrived around 8:30 and bought in for the max of $60. There were a couple guys sitting with over $200 each at this point, and a few shorter stacks. After a few hands, I get KQoff on the button and raise to $12. One of my regular poker buddies has about $60 and he pushes, so I decide this is a pretty good chance to double up and I call. The flop comes Q high and I end up winning against AK. First of many times I am behind and catch up.

After being card dead for a while, I get AJoff on the button and raise to $12. One of the blinds calls and another player makes it $37 total. I decide to just call and other guy calls. Flop comes JJx and original player checks, I push and he calls. Think he had QQ and again I out flop a better hand.

This was my favourite hand of the night, I call a small $7 preflop raise with 107off and the flop comes 68x. The original raiser makes it $6 and there are a few other callers so I decide to call. The turn is a 10 and its checked to me and I bet $35 figuring I can take the hand down with a decent raise. First player pushes for less than $35 and the other player goes all-in, which cost me another $40ish. I figure I am behind but maybe two pair will be good and there's too much in the pot already. Short stack turns over a set of 6s and the other player shows a set of tens. I am wayyyyyyyyyyy behind until I river them with a miracle nine for the straight. They both looked stunned!

This hand pays off a little later when I get action from a guy when I re-raise a substantial amount pre-flop with AA and get someone else pushing into me.

Overall it was fun playing a small buy-in game but really felt bad for my buddy who was down a few buy-ins and could only rebuy for $60 and never get back his money. I was lucky and I was up from my initial buy-in and never looked back.
  • You should work on your short stack game if you want to do better in tournaments (as you stated a year or two ago). Look at this type of game as an attempt to improve specific aspects of your game. Some of the described hands were not played well.

Why would they not invite you back?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    You should work on your short stack game if you want to do better in tournaments (as you stated a year or two ago). Look at this type of game as an attempt to improve specific aspects of your game. Some of the described hands were not played well.

Why would they not invite you back?

I have no interest in improving my short stack cash game as my typical game is 200-300BB buy-in. This was just for kicks. I have no desire to play against these guys for 30BB on a regular basis. Just wanted to check it out.
  • In for $60, out with $460.00, are you making that kind of ROI in your 2-300 BB game?
    In for $60, out with $460.00, are you making that kind of ROI in your 2-300 BB game?

lol, I wish! 6 times my original buy in after a couple hours would be an exception.
    lol, I wish! 6 times my original buy in after a couple hours would be an exception.

So, why wouldn't you go back to this berry patch, if invited?
  • Read the hands.
    So, why wouldn't you go back to this berry patch, if invited?

The few players I had never played against before were complete nits and think most brought $100 with them. The rest I play with regularly anyways at $300-$400 max games so not really interested in spending my weekly poker night with these limits. I rather spend it playing $2/$5 at a more action game. This game became pretty short pretty fast and three players had most of the chips on the table.

It could have been a complete train wreck with the way I play these short stack games Lucky to do as well as I did.
  • So you admit you got lucky. Big deal. You could have easily lost every hand. Exactly what I was talking about.
    The few players I had never played against before were complete nits and think most brought $100 with them. The rest I play with regularly anyways at $300-$400 max games so not really interested in spending my weekly poker night with these limits. I rather spend it playing $2/$5 at a more action game. This game became pretty short pretty fast and three players had most of the chips on the table.

It could have been a complete train wreck with the way I play these short stack games Lucky to do as well as I did.

Why were you worries about playing this $60 max game if you normally play those higher stakes games?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  • Try not to be so results oriented. There were obviously some misplayed hands that you can learn from.
  • holychow wrote: »
    Why were you worries about playing this $60 max game if you normally play those higher stakes games?

I wasn't worried, it was more about adjusting to a game where the starting stacks were so low.