Canadian Bank Accounts

RBC charges me around $15/mo for my account...I get the same thing for free in the US

What are better bank accounts for unlimited transactions in Canada?

Comments

• DUCA Financial Services. Think their max. is $12.00.
  • PC Financial
  • Milo wrote: »
    DUCA Financial Services. Think their max. is $12.00.

I wants free
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    PC Financial

Charges?
  • for every day banking there are no fees
  • I've been using PC for a few years now.. only charge ever is overdraft protection*

* - that I have incurred

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I've been using PC for a few years now.. only charge ever is overdraft protection*

* - that I have incurred

Mark

only if you use it iirc.
    only if you use it iirc.

Well yes.. obviously

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Well yes.. obviously

Mark

Many banks still charge a monthly fee for this even if you don't use it
    Many banks still charge a monthly fee for this even if you don't use it

Wow.. remind me again how we've not risen up as an angry mob and burned down the financial institutions?

Mark
  • I'm pretty sure every Canadian bank offers basically fee free accounts as long as you keep enough money in them....and it's not really that high a threshold...probably in excess of a few grand.
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure every Canadian bank offers basically fee free accounts as long as you keep enough money in them....and it's not really that high a threshold...probably in excess of a few grand.

That's not really free, since it's pretty easy to earn 6% per year, if you keep say $3K in your checking account to avoid the fees that's $15. per month lost.
  • PC, ING, or Manulife one depending on your needs
  • TD Bank is unlimited with $1000 min left in bank.

BMO gives 30 transactions a month for 9.95 or $2000 min in account, which can be spread over as many accounts as you want. So I keep $2k in the account which gives me essentially free transactions for my US$ account and my Investorline account as well. Then I link my my chequing and US$ accounts to ING for the high interest savings accounts in cdn and us$ and my TFSA. ING has no fees and no minimums.
    I'm pretty sure every Canadian bank offers basically fee free accounts as long as you keep enough money in them....and it's not really that high a threshold...probably in excess of a few grand.

Not RBC unless you have <10? transactions/month
  • Guess I'll go to RBC this week and ask them to waive charges or I will switch somewhere else
  • compuease wrote: »
    That's not really free, since it's pretty easy to earn 6% per year, if you keep say $3K in your checking account to avoid the fees that's $15. per month lost.

I need to find this easy 6% ...I may never work again :)
  • moose wrote: »
    TD Bank is unlimited with $1000 min left in bank.
    Yeah turns out that is what I have....not sure if is because it is a grandfathered account, but it's $1000 for unlimited
    Yeah turns out that is what I have....not sure if is because it is a grandfathered account, but it's $1000 for unlimited

will check this out as well as PC this coming week
  • PC Financial charges $1.50 per EMT transaction.
  • PC does not have US$ accounts. Useless.
    PC Financial charges $1.50 per EMT transaction.

RBC charges $1.00
  • PC has it's limits, but it's good because you get unlimited transactions with no fee, no minimum balance req, free cheques, it's a subsidiary of CIBC so you can get cash from any CIBC ATM with no fee, PC points towards free groceries if you shop at Superstore, gets you 5.5 cents off gas at their gas stations.

Bad: No tellers, everything is online or over the phone. As mentioned, no US (news to me)
  • Sounds like PC is the winner so far
  • Does anybody deal with a Credit Union?
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Does anybody deal with a Credit Union?

We dealt with Meridian briefly after we moved here. When we realized that every time we tried to do something incredibly simple and it had to involve the entire staff team we bailed. Ordering cheques shouldn't be like that.

Likely a local issue though.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Does anybody deal with a Credit Union?

DUCA Financial Services is a Credit Union, and Ihave been there since having a paper route as a boy. Hell, my account number is still flagged as a "Children's account" based on it's number.
    DUCA Financial Services is a Credit Union, and Ihave been there since having a paper route as a boy. Hell, my account number is still flagged as a "Children's account" based on it's number.

Fees? Customer Service?
  • We dealt with Meridian briefly after we moved here. When we realized that every time we tried to do something incredibly simple and it had to involve the entire staff team we bailed. Ordering cheques shouldn't be like that.

Likely a local issue though.

Most likely true . . . wife and I love the DUCA, as everything is so easy . . . transfers, bill payments, all of it. Better still, they pay US to do our banking with them. Wife and I have added over 15k to our RRSPs over the last 10 years or so for doing nothing except paying our mortgage.
    I need to find this easy 6% ...I may never work again :)

I know a guy.... ;) And it isn't by depositing in a bank account..