changing light switches

clueless dummy when it comes to electrical. Took out two dimmer switches, the round knob ones that you push in to turn on and twist to dim. Want to add two regular switches. Does the wiring come in from the wall have to changed around for this?

the one on the left is staying there. It's a 3 way switch. the right two are the dimmer set ups. Do the white wires stay where they are attached to each other and the blacks go into the new switches?

receptacle_zps497b1dc3.jpg

switch_zps2ab4ebf7.jpg

Comments

• Holy cow, give Mario a call before we have to start an RIP Muddguts thread.
  • Just checked, Ed's not on my deadpool list.>:D

Seriously, make sure both all of those wires are dead before going any further.

Did you have a 3 way on the circuit with the dimmers?

If not then white (neutral) goes to the silver screw and black (live) goes to the brass.

If you haven't done this before make sure applicable insurance is paid up.
  • Looking at that picture again something doesn't look right. Both blacks come from the same circuit? Were they each attached to 2 different dimmer switches? Also wasn't there any neutral (white wire) connected to those switches? It also looks like a bare black wire going up out of the box (upper right).
  • How do I sign up for the dead pool?
  • Since when is "white" the neutral. Thought that white was negative, black positive, and green was the neutral?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Since when is "white" the neutral. Thought that white was negative, black positive, and green was the neutral?

this should end well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtdXzBSVaU
  • In other news, a story right from The Red Green show, a local Oakville man was found clutching a light switch as his house burned down around him. When asked what happened, he just muttered, "that's what I get for asking how many poker players it takes to change a light switch".

Up next, Phil Helmuth found to be responsible for blackout of 2003.
  • I'm just gonna buy new dimmers that come with the instructions and hope for the best. Don't save me a seat at the next game!
    Since when is "white" the neutral. Thought that white was negative, black positive, and green was the neutral?

Ouch..... You definitely need to get help.. ;) And I don't mean for your religious views..:)

This is AC we're talking about, no + or -... However the black is normally called the "hot" side. On the black the voltage is positive for half the cycle and negative for the other half, hence alternating current (AC).
  • compuease wrote: »
    Ouch..... You need to definitely need to get help.. ;) And I don't mean for your religious views..:)

This is AC we're talking about, no + or -... However the black is normally called the "hot" side. On the black the voltage is positive for half the cycle and negative for the other half, hence alternating current (AC).

I'm pretty sure there are electrons in there somewhere
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there are electrons in there somewhere

There are...... And I have seen them!;)

and the light!

Holy shit!

Can we get a thumbs down button for posts?

Don't mess with your electricity if you aren't 100% sure. At the very least make sure the breaker is off and TEST IT before you touch it.

And as a final caution do you really want electrical advice from a poker forum based on a photo?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »

And as a final caution do you really want electrical advice from a poker forum based on a photo?
    Hey, I resemble that remark, I believe somewhere on here we decided we're not a poker forum...

I declare we're an electrical forum.... maybe I can have more success at that... Mario can be our "God"...
    Holy shit!

Can we get a thumbs down button for posts?

Don't mess with your electricity if you aren't 100% sure. At the very least make sure the breaker is off and TEST IT before you touch it.

where's the fun in being safe and practical?

can we start a thread on how to turn off your smartphone sig line?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Looking at that picture again something doesn't look right. Both blacks come from the same circuit? Were they each attached to 2 different dimmer switches? Also wasn't there any neutral (white wire) connected to those switches? It also looks like a bare black wire going up out of the box (upper right).

I'd bet power is coming in on the wire from the right and the 2 middle wires branch out to the lights. These ones won't be live unless connected to the wire on the right. That is why the wire nut is on the right black wire.

That is not a bet you want to lose.

That is not a bet you want to lose.
    2-1?
    do you really want electrical advice from a poker forum based on a photo?

pshaw! Are we not gamblers here?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »

can we start a thread on how to turn off your smartphone sig line?

Meh . . . tech equivalent of Mark signing his posts. Plus it lets us know who has the cool toys.

Sent from my shitty lap-top while drinking my tea.
  • I guess that is true.

Sent from T8's mom's avocado rotary phone.
  • So how did this end?

Being an electrician the two blacks that are wire nuted together (marretted) are the hot or power coming in. The single wires that were on the other side of the dimer are the switch legs(go to the light). Leave the white wires alone as they do not go to the switches.

The best practice is to put the power wires on the top of the switch and the switch legs on the bottom.
  • I ended up buying two replacement dimmer switches however the new switches didn't come with the grounding wire attached to them like the old ones did so I'm in limbo not knowing what to do next. The basement is still dark. Have to round up a family electrician when he has time
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    I ended up buying two replacement dimmer switches however the new switches didn't come with the grounding wire attached to them like the old ones did so I'm in limbo not knowing what to do next. The basement is still dark. Have to round up a family electrician when he has time

ground wires are not needed for switches...that's an American electrical code thing. You do not need to hook them up or connect them to anything.(green wire or copper).
  • I made a 3 minute walk through video. I have uploaded for the doityourself.com forum but thought I would post it here to for further "discussion"

I need to make note that the black wires were not originally curved as you see in this video. The were twisted with the black wires on the dimmers and covered with marretts.

wiring - YouTube
  • RAM_Eh wrote: »
    Being an electrician the two blacks that are wire nuted together (marretted) are the hot or power coming in. The single wires that were on the other side of the dimer are the switch legs(go to the light). Leave the white wires alone as they do not go to the switches.
    Rob knows what he is talking about.

He assumed you to extrapolate from this that one of each of the black wires from the marrette on the right go to each dimmer and the black wire from each of the middle 2 wires goes to a their own dimmer.

If you hook it up the way you describe in your video best case your lights will not come on. Worst case you will fry one of the dimmers, electrocute yourself or burn down your house. But hey we are all gamblers right?

Where do you live? A ton of people could help you with this. If it means saving your life I'll jump in my car to hook this up for you. I am not an electrician but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once.

Question for Rob: if you have one dimmer switched on is it possible for power to flow back through the neutral wire to the light that is switched off if you inadvertently grounded it? I doubt that is possible but curious if that might cause a shock.

• I'm just about to hook it all up now but the wires are really dirty looking so I'm going to fill a squirt bottle with water and spray them down first.

But seriously, I am doing some researching and reaching out, hence my video and 2 forum postings before I do anything. I won't try this on my own until I am 100% correct. Other people that I have spoken with say to definitely attach a ground wire to the switches and receptacle however RAM says there is no need.
    I do realize that my thoughts of hooking it up were incorrect as well. As I say, I am proceeding with caution pkrfce9 and I appreciate the concern, input and help! I do have a friend that is license but he's at a cottage for a few more days, so if anything, I can wait it out for him.
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    I'm just about to hook it all up now but the wires are really dirty looking so I'm going to fill a squirt bottle with water and spray them down first. Naw, use gasoline..>:D

But seriously, I am doing some researching and reaching out, hence my video and 2 forum postings before I do anything. I won't try this on my own until I am 100% correct. Other people that I have spoken with say to definitely attach a ground wire to the switches and receptacle however RAM says there is no need.
    I do realize that my thoughts of hooking it up were incorrect as well. As I say, I am proceeding with caution pkrfce9 and I appreciate the concern, input and help! I do have a friend that is license but he's at a cottage for a few more days, so if anything, I can wait it out for him.

Ram is correct, switches don't need a ground, receptacles do.. If I was coming to Oakville in the next day or two I would volunteer to drop by. It really is quite simple, the switch is just completing the circuit unlike a receptacle where it is the device, ie lamp, toaster, etc which is completing the circuit when you plug it in. There is no neutral on a switch.
  • Ok...so if you connect the wires as you describe nothing will happen and it will not work you are basically switching the two switch legs with one switch and the two power wires on the other. No bangs or lights either.

to elaborate what I described before.

1- the two back wires tied together with the third black wire(blue wire nut)are the power wires or the hot wires.

2- the other two individual wires that are on their own go directly to the switch. (switch leg)

3 - look at the directions to the new dimers you bought as there are 3 connections on the dimer as seen in the video. You need to identify which two are for a single pole operation(my suspicion is you may have bought a 3way dimer...that is can control a light from two locations). if your dimer is not rated for single pole operation you need to exchange. If the dimer is ok for this...step 4

4 - power wire will go on the brass/bronze and the switch leg will go on one of the other ones.

5- if it makes you feel better needing the ground wire...there is a green terminal on the dimer. Attach a wire(bare or green only) from it to the box. Feel free to cut if off the old dimer. If you use bare...tape it as sometimes when you push in in the box it will touch the other terminals and may cause a short. This is not needed for electrical code.

if you are not sure if the dimer is rated for single pole take a picture of the instructions and post it.

PM me with your phone number if you have any questions and I will call you.

HOW IS THAT FOR POKER CONTENT!

Question for Rob: if you have one dimmer switched on is it possible for power to flow back through the neutral wire to the light that is switched off if you inadvertently grounded it? I doubt that is possible but curious if that might cause a shock.

If you switch power wire to neutral (white) it will cause a dead short and will blow the breaker/fuse.

I should comment that the switch that MUD did not touch is a 3 way switch and the white wire attached to it is NOT A NEUTRAL. It is used as an extra conductor(traveler) for wiring purposes and is very legal in Canada. In the USA the white can only ever be used for a neutral.
  • I meant even if you wired this up correctly, given the wires there. It seemed to me if you had one of dimmers switched on it might be possible for power to flow back through the neutral (they are joined after all) to the other light and you could potentially get a shock from that light even though its dimmer is switched off. You would somehow have to make contact between that circuit that is switched off and ground. It is an obscure situation but I was curious if that could happen.
    I meant even if you wired this up correctly, given the wires there. It seemed to me if you had one of dimmers switched on it might be possible for power to flow back through the neutral (they are joined after all) to the other light and you could potentially get a shock from that light even though its dimmer is switched off. You would somehow have to make contact between that circuit that is switched off and ground. It is an obscure situation but I was curious if that could happen.

if the neutral is switched and power is at the light you could get a shock from hot to ground, but that type of switching is wrong. If the dimer is truly off there should be no power at the light in this configuration of wiring. All power comes from the switching. No feedback will occur.

Any time there is power to a circuit and you open the neutral there will be arcing and a potential shock.