pokerJAH/pkrfce9 Vegas Trip Report June 8 -12th

2»

Comments

• Sounds like a great trip. My buddies and I are heading there on July 2nd -8th. Gonna be a ton of fun. What did you guys do for cellphones on the trip-burners, unlocked phones, bring your own and buy a plan through your provider? Any advice would be appreciated!
  • I bring my tablet and use the free wireless in the poker room. For phone I pick up a $10-20 payg phone with some airtime on it from walmart and throw it away at the end of the trip.
  • Greg hitting the slots for 700 big ones! #beat....it was only a one cent slot.
  • Doyle Brunson in the flesh!
  • Cool chipstack at the Venetian! Guy said there were 1,100 one dollar chips in his stack.
  • Day 3 - finally have some time to finish where we left off. We first headed over to the Venetian for a little free breakfast (thanks to some $$ on our player's cards @ $2/hr from the previous sessions). I decided to head back to my roots and play a little $1/$2 because I have not been having much luck with the $2/$5 tables the day before. I get my name on the list first and when a seat opens up I tell Greg he can go first. A second seat opens up and I buy in for $200. First hand I get dealt 10Jsuited and the flop comes QKA. I flop the nuts and double through a guy who slow played AK. Great start! A few hands later I decide to go visit Greg and see how he is doing. I come back to my table and get dealt AA. I re-raise to $45 and get one caller. Again I end up stacking him for another $150 pot. After about two hours, we decide to head over to TI to use our free lunch buffet coupons. I have a stack of dirty white $1 chips (will let Greg explain the 'dirty chips') so I announce I am raising blind $18 and it is my last hand. I get one caller and the flop comes 873. I announce I am raising blind $35 and the guy flat calls. I decide I better check my cards and find I have 810off, flopping top pair. The turn comes a 2 and I bet out $60. The guy flat calls. The river goes check-check and I show my 8 and he flips over a 7 and folds.

I decide to blind raise again with my dirty white chips and this time get two callers. I decide to check my cards and find I have QJh. Flop comes two hearts and I bet out and get one caller (think the flop actually was J high as well). The turn brings my flush so I bet again but this time the guy folds (too bad!!). I'm up $540 on a two hour session!

We head back to TI for a quick buffet before we are off to the gun range. After lunch we decide to hit the TI poker room for a quick session. Its pretty uneventful for me and I am down about $125 when we have to leave so I announce again I am raising blind to $8 and 'it will be my last hand'. A guy down from me makes it $35. I have a quick peak at my cards and find AA. I go over to Greg and tell him the situation, and he is in awe. I come back to the table and remind the guy that I raised blind and it is my last hand. I tell him I am all in for another $165 and he snap calls with QQ. I don't show my cards and when the flop brings a 2 I tell him I need another 2 to win. When the turn and river bring blanks, I flip over my aces and the table goes ballistic. I grab my $350 and head to the front lobby to grab the ride to the gun range....wait...it gets better :)
  • Methinks I wasted my time reading Bill Chen's The Mathematics of Poker and I should pre-order your upcoming book - The Mathematics of Raising Blind.
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    ... raising blind $18 and it is my last hand. I get one caller and the flop comes 873. I announce I am raising blind $35 and the guy flat calls. I decide I better check my cards...
    :
    I am down about $125 when we have to leave so I announce again I am raising blind to $8 and 'it will be my last hand'.
    pkrfce9 wrote: »
    I will be telling that story in my upcoming book.
  • Sounds like a great trip. My buddies and I are heading there on July 2nd -8th. Gonna be a ton of fun. What did you guys do for cellphones on the trip-burners, unlocked phones, bring your own and buy a plan through your provider? Any advice would be appreciated!
    moose wrote: »
    I bring my tablet and use the free wireless in the poker room. For phone I pick up a $10-20 payg phone with some airtime on it from walmart and throw it away at the end of the trip.

I have a $100 prepaid card from T-Mobile - $2 a day for unlimited data essentially. If I need to call back to Canada I have a VOIP program.

I know Steve Kerr uses Roamobility and is a big fan of it.
  • Ok next time I'm taking a razor

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    ....wait...it gets better :)

OK, to continue the story...actually might have confused some of the sessions, but they did all happen, although order may be messed up. Anyways, we head to The Range and sign up for the mixed package which includes the firing of three different machine guns and the "Dirty Harry' package. The DH package includes the 357 magnum used by DH in most of his movies. It was a great experience and highly recommended if you like chicks with guns! They also pick you up and drop you off at the hotel.

After the guns session, we decide to check out Caesars as apparently they have an uncapped 2/5 game. When we get to Caesars it is really dead compared to what we have been use to so we decide to just head back to the Bellagio as it has been kind to us and the crowd is always mixed and lots of table selection.

On the way to the Bellagio we stop at the Lord Brahma temple. I tell Greg to light an incense candle as it will bring him good luck. He just scofts at me and so I light my candle, and he sees the true power of believing about 15 minutes later. We arrive at the Bellagio and I get seated at a 2/5 table and buy in for the max of $500. Greg is still waiting for a 1/2 seat so he is standing behind me watching my session. The very first hand I get dealt KK. Everyone is folding around the table and I am thinking to myself, oh great, we will chop :( I turn to the guy beside me and firmly tell him I don't chop. It gets around to him and he makes it $35. I announce I am all-in and he snap calls. Greg is like, what the fuck?? I am all in the very first hand??? Its a dry board and I flip over my KK and he shows QQ. I double up the very first hand and tell the dealer, "seat open!". Everyone at the table is like, your leaving?? I say, yup...I am freerolling 1/2 :) The guy beside me is stunned... we head over to PH and have a nice dinner at PF Changs courtesy of my new Asian friend :) ...to be continued...
  • as mentioned before, The Range was a blast and we were able to fire a total of four weapons in total, AK-47, MP5, M249 (chain fed machine gun) and the '357' Dirty Harry Magnum. The M249 was actually the easiest to fire, which was very surprising given it was the largest and a chain fed machine gun.

After dinner, we headed back to the Venetian. Greg and I ended up finally playing together at a 1/2 table, and was probably one of the funnest sessions of my short poker career. Johnny 'Fuckin' Chan was sitting at the table behind us, and he must have thought we were all on crack. Most of the players managed to get pictures with Mr. Chan, and he was very cool about the hole thing (especially given he was playing $1k/$2k mixed game).

We definitely had the loudest and most exciting table of the night. All the dealers were having a blast at our table and I decided to tip the dealer $1 every time I swore. I was even able to get some of the really quite Asian lady dealers to tell a dirty joke for $2. These dealers are real chip whores! Of course they would get a dirty $1 chips for the dirty jokes. Don't think either of us made any money at that session but it definitely was one of the highlights of the trip. Probably spent a hundred bucks on dealer tips at that session.

On our final day, we ended up back at the Bellagio and I did play a 5/10 session with Huck Seed (and his very hot girlfriend). Ended the session up a couple hundred when some guy pushed me all-in with QQ and I doubled up. Was down at that point when some cowboy called my $360 raise to hit a gut shot on the river. Definitely much bigger swings at 5/10 than 2/5. One reason I liked the Bellagio 5/10 game was it was capped at $1.5k so it doesn't play like some of the uncapped games.

Overall it was a great trip and would highly recommend the Bellagio and Venetian poker rooms to anybody heading down to Vegas in the near future. I think the action is just as good as the Rio on any given night.