For Sale: Vid of Mayor Ford Smoking Crack

13»

Comments

• Milo wrote: »
    And Steve, where did you get the idea that it is not illegal to consume drugs like pot or crack, etc. If it is illegal to purchase them, if it is illegal to possess them, if it is illegal to be under their influence, it is de facto illegal to consume them.

No, Milo, it's not. I get the idea from the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. Read it sometime. Like I said yours is a commonly belief. But it's wrong.

Here:

Drugs and Drug Policy in Canada
    The most important federal statute dealing with illicit drugs is the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA), which was proclaimed into force in May of 1997. There are six common offences under it: possession, trafficking, cultivation, importing or exporting and "prescription shopping" (obtaining multiple prescriptions by visiting several doctors).

And here is a fact sheet on UK law. It is almost exactly the same as Canada, except for drug classifications where there are some differences:

Drugs and the law | theguardian.com
    Is it illegal to take drugs?
    In the UK it is not strictly illegal to take drugs, only to unlawfully produce them, have them in your possession or pass them to someone else. What does the law say?
    The law prohibits possession and supply, with harsher penalties for the latter. The central legislation aimed at impeding drug taking is the Misuse of Drugs Act (1971) which divided drugs into three categories (A-C) depending on how dangerous they were perceived to be at that time.

Remember this?

Peter MacKay faces complaint over pot shots at Justin Trudeau | canada.com
    Attaran’s letter, sent over the weekend to the society which regulates the legal profession in Nova Scotia, noted that the courts in Canada have concluded it’s against the law to possess marijuana, but that there’s no crime in smoking it.

Like I said, you could try to charge with possession but it would be thrown out of court so the police won't bother.
  • 800OVER wrote: »
    anybody remember the 407? We got screwed.

This reminds me of what I read recently about Hudak. His plan is to build the subways using taxpayer money and then privatize it along with all of Toronto's transit systems. He said he was looking at how London, England runs its transit system via a series of private companies.

Hudak would extend subways, scrap LRTs as Ontario premier - The Globe and Mail
    But Mr. Hudak hinted this may be only the first step in a broader integration of the region’s transit systems. He pointed to Transport for London – the agency that runs transit in England’s capital – as a model for Toronto. TfL oversees London’s underground and overground systems, as well as major roads; it also plans the bus network, which is run by private companies under contract.

Ontario got screwed by Mike Harris and the 407 debacle. Now Hudak, a Harris disciple, wants to do the same with Toronto's transit systems. I hope the PCs never get the opportunity to do it.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    No, Milo, it's not. I get the idea from the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. Read it sometime. Like I said yours is a commonly belief. But it's wrong.

Last time I looked you need to be in possession of something in order for you to smoke it, right? And possession is against the law. So while the act of smoking pot or Crack or whatever may not specifically be illegal, you are still liable to being charged when you do so.

As for Hwy 407, I agree with you . . . it was a bad deal for taxpayers. Ownership SHOULD have remained with the province, and the operation should have LEASED to the private sector. That being said, anyone who uses the 407 will tell you it is the best highway in this province, in terms of upkeep, expansion, and maintenance.
    Last time I looked you need to be in possession of something in order for you to smoke it, right? And possession is against the law. So while the act of smoking pot or Crack or whatever may not specifically be illegal, you are still liable to being charged when you do so.

You haven't checked in a while then. No, you are not liable to be charged. Just like Ford and Trudeau were not charged. That's the point. You have to prove possession. You can't say that just because they smoked it then "de facto" they must have been in possession. There are no unwritten rules in the criminal code.

Harper admitted a joint was passed to him in his youth. According to him, he held it, but did not take a toke because he was "too drunk." Leaving aside the fact that at an earlier interview Harper said he didn't drink, is that possession under the law?

I can tell you are the type of person who will never admit they are wrong, or don't know, about a situation. Even confronted with that evidence you deny. Ok, I'm not going to fight you. The law is the law.
    Milo wrote: »
    That being said, anyone who uses the 407 will tell you it is the best highway in this province, in terms of upkeep, expansion, and maintenance.

That's because in the overall scheme of things (compared to the 401) few people use it. Of course it's going to be in good shape.
  • What I was referring to is that the owners expand the highway to meet demand before congestion becomes an issue. As for "few people use it", that might be true when compared with the 401 but the fact that the 401 is "free" is also a consideration. Dealing in logistics as I do, there are PLENTY of drivers who are paid by the hour, who will not take the 407. Funny thing is that almost 100% of owner-operators have transponders. Tolls are the wave of the future, I am afraid, at least here in the GTA.
  • Pure Gold! 24 kart, nugget the size of my morning poop pure gold.

Mayor Rob Ford not stepping down - Toronto - CBC News
    Tolls are the wave of the future, I am afraid, at least here in the GTA.

Remains to be seen. If it does happen, then it wouldn't be terrible as long as the province is the recipient of the generated revenue.

But if Hudak has his way, he'll sell the 401 to some company for a one time payment, and there goes a shitload of future revenue transferred to a corporation. Just like his mentor Mike Harris.

Of course he'll never come straight out and say that, but reading between the lines of his comment suggests that's his plan.

And trust me, if the Liberals or NDP turned around and said they planned to privatize Toronto's transit systems I would still be saying it's a bad idea.
  • The idea of allowing a private corporation to OPERATE the system is not a bad one, as Corporations do a MUCH better job than government at streamlining operations (why does the TTC even employ ticket takers?). But I agree with you that ownership (and thus a share of the profits) should be vested in the City/Region. No reason why it cannot work. Some sort of leasing agreement should be all that is needed.
    The idea of allowing a private corporation to OPERATE the system is not a bad one, as Corporations do a MUCH better job than government at streamlining operations (why does the TTC even employ ticket takers?). But I agree with you that ownership (and thus a share of the profits) should be vested in the City/Region. No reason why it cannot work. Some sort of leasing agreement should be all that is needed.

407 IS leased....100 years. so we'll be fine once we're all dead.
  • Already said that the 407 deal is a bad one. Nothing says that future deals have to be structured in the same fashion.
    The idea of allowing a private corporation to OPERATE the system is not a bad one, as Corporations do a MUCH better job than government at streamlining operations ...

And round and round we go. I guess that's why Ontario's electricity rates are so low. Because the private corporation controlling it has streamlined operations so much.

Privatization always ends up with higher costs and lower levels of service.
  • so, yeah, i was crazy drunk...sorry i guess.
    Mayor Rob Ford says he was "extremely, extremely inebriated" when he was caught on video ranting about wanting to kill someone. The admission came just days after Ford admitted he smoked crack cocaine in a "drunken stupor" and is the latest bombshell to hit his embattled administration.
    "I need f---ing 10 minutes to make sure he's dead," Ford shouts in a clip of the video that was shopped to the Sun and other media outlets.