New toy arrives Thursday

2»

Comments

• Weber chimney starter is the pro tool

Weber Chimney Starter - Charcoal BBQ Stuff - Ontario Gas BBQ - Barbecues, Smokers, Accessories, Grilling/Cooking Thermometer, iGrill, Thermapen

this and some news paper with veggie ink and you are fired up in 10 minutes, 15 to ash out and ready to grill.

get a LPG and a new charcoal this spring. good times ahead
  • My friends and I made our own smoker last year:
  • Round 2 was pulled pork. We upped our game a bit:
  • Ok finally got in touch with the courier. Arriving this Thursday.

Also, it got cheaper!

Walmart Canada | Huge Rollback Savings + FREE SHIPPING on ALL Barbecues
  • P1040832.JPG

Jebus this thing has more parts than I thought.

P1040834.JPG

Ta Da!

P1040836.JPG

Some nice rib steaks

P1040838.JPG

Not bad for the first go around. More charcoal and I should get a higher temp.

P1040839.JPG

Oh yeah let the meat train begin.

P1040840.JPG
  • #jealous
  • Made a pizza yesterday. Awesome.
  • Saw this dual-purpose charcoal/propane BBQ at CanTire today:

Coleman® Even Heat™ Dual Fuel Propane BBQ | Canadian Tire

Definitely tempting...best of both worlds. Wish the propane side had a searing burner though.

Moose, how did you do the pizza, on a stone of some sort?
  • Yeah pizza stone from HD. $29

CT carries a ceramic Kamado with a port for an electric starter. I thought it was around $650 but maybe this isn't the exact model. They had 2 or 3 different ones on display at the Pinebush store in Cambridge. If I had seen this one first I probably would have jumped on it.

Kamado Professional Charcoal Grill | Canadian Tire
  • i've used a pizza stone a few times and personally i prefer to just put it directly on the grill.
  • Well my BBQ is basically dead, and I am done with cleaning and rebuilding it with "universal" parts. My new one arrives on Friday. I generally don't have enough time to mess with charcoal on weeknights so I went with a Weber gas model. Pretty stoked to be getting a real grill instead of the cheap Zellers special that I have limped along with for 9 years.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/genesis/genesis-ep-330

(Mine will be a deep red colour rather than the black shown above)

Planning to experiment with a smoker box, plus hoping to get a rotisserie as a gift in future.
  • I bought a Weber last year. Love it.
  • BrennerM wrote: »
    Well my BBQ is basically dead, and I am done with cleaning and rebuilding it with "universal" parts. My new one arrives on Friday. I generally don't have enough time to mess with charcoal on weeknights so I went with a Weber gas model. Pretty stoked to be getting a real grill instead of the cheap Zellers special that I have limped along with for 9 years.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/genesis/genesis-ep-330

(Mine will be a deep red colour rather than the black shown above)

Planning to experiment with a smoker box, plus hoping to get a rotisserie as a gift in future.

My experience with smoker boxes is that they're not worth it. Just put the wood chips in tin foil.
  • trigs wrote: »
    My experience with smoker boxes is that they're not worth it. Just put the wood chips in tin foil.

Thanks for the tip...wasn't sure it was needed. Will give it a try.

Mike
  • trigs wrote: »

I guess it is a matter of preference. My brother is going thru to be a chef right now and he got one about a month ago and absolutely loves it. I am guessing it comes down to passion and right now he has the food bug.
  • Chicken and veggies.

IMG_4483.JPG

Ribs going in for the slow cook.

P1040858.JPG

Ribs coming out 5 hours later.

P1040860.JPG
  • I might have to come over later this summer.
  • Those ribs look yummy!
  • Pulled pork trial run.

Going on.

P1040863.JPG

6 hours later. (Not enough time but the kid was getting hungry)

P1040864.JPG

Managed to maintain 225-300 for the entire 6 hours and still plenty of charcoal left.

P1040865.JPG

Results:

P1040866.JPG
  • 1st pizza coming off. This one had cheese only on the bottom.

P1040867.JPG

2nd pizza going on. Cheese on top and bottom.

P1040868.JPG

2nd pizza coming off. Approx 10 min at approx 500 F

P1040870.JPG
  • The BBQ is $298 right now on walmart.ca free delivery.

Also Cambridge Walmart has windshield washer fluid on clearance right now for $.88 (summer and winter). The price says $3 but it still scans at $.88.