New toy arrives Thursday

Comments

• moose wrote: »
    48683066_widget.jpg

So what time should we arrive? 5, 6?
  • Kinda looks like R2D2's great great great grandfather
  • I thought it looked like a time travel device.
  • this charcoal?
  • compuease wrote: »
    So what time should we arrive? 5, 6?

Charcoal and yes I believe some sort of bbq/poker thing is in the future.

It is supposed to be able to sear steaks at up to 700F and slow cook at 220F.
  • is this a bbq? i thought it was a smoker at first. man i want a smoker...
  • isn't charcoal a bitch to clean? how is the cost of charcoal vs propane?
  • toy suggests fun.... I see no fun in charcoal.
  • Jacen299 wrote: »
    toy suggests fun.... I see no fun in charcoal.

Then it's just not a toy to you.
  • Man make fire. Fire cook meat. Meat good.
  • convenience of natural gas 12 months of the year works for me. agree cook meat meat good.
  • charcoal is much more of a pain in the ass compared to propane. however, charcoal is way more flavourful if you're willing to put forth the effort to cook with it.
  • I definitely want to try it out for grilling but really the main benefit to me will be the slow cooking of ribs, pork butts etc. Maybe smoke a turkey. I already extensively use the rotisserie of my bbq (at least 2-3 times per month). This is just the natural extension of taking it to the next level.

I also have a working propane bbq with infrared rotisserie and side burner available for free. Hobbes was supposed to take it but he is lazy as shit and now he has a new one.
  • moose wrote: »
    I also have a working propane bbq with infrared rotisserie and side burner available for free. Hobbes was supposed to take it but he is lazy as shit and now he has a new one.

Dibbs!!!

Sending PM
  • Should have gone with Propane

Taste the meat, not the heat.
  • Macke wrote: »
    Should have gone with Propane

Taste the meat, not the heat.

anybody can do it with gas... No where near the flavour..

kids these days, eh comp?
  • trigs wrote: »
    kids these days, eh comp?

yep, before fire we used molten lava, before the earth cooled...
  • I have LNG too. Spent too many times on the phone explaining righty tighty, lefty loosey to my wife so she could light the thing so now the LNG is on all the time and the propane goes to g2.
  • I want a smoker, but for grilling, I am too damn lazy to cook with coals. And I defy any of you snobs to grill a better salmon than I do, planked or otherwise.

that said, it does kinda look Star Wars-ish, doesn't it? Maybe get some heat resistant enamel paints?

I like the flavor of meat, not coal.

and I don't like soot, you don't get that from a clean burning fuel.

Who knew that Hank Hill posts on CPF?

Hey Moose-enjoy BBQ in the snow and freezing rain tomorrow!
  • I'm going to have to assemble it. Maybe Sun.

FYI You don't cook it IN the coals. You place the food on a grill ABOVE the coals.

kwsteve wrote: »
    FYI You don't cook it IN the coals. You place the food on a grill ABOVE the coals.

And you don't have to use that no name $1.99 reconstituted charcoal either you know... ;)
  • My BBQ is near end-of-life and charcoal interests me, but I can't start a fire to save my life.

Moose, are you planning to use a starter of some sort? I've seen electric ones and chimney-style ones out there. Just curious what is the best way. And lighter fluid is not an option, I'd rather use propane than have lighter fluid fumes in my food.

Would like to hear updates once you start using the new Q.
  • Most of my info comes from here:
    Kamado Guru • Index page

I'm going to start with something like these:
    SAFETY STARTER FIRE STARTERS FOR USE CERAMIC GRILLS - PACK OF 24

You can make your own by melting parafin and soaking cardboard squares in it which I may try.

Another thing recommended is soaking cotton balls in alcohol which I will also eventually try.

Basically you make a volcano shape about 3" deep by pouring the charcoal around something cylindrical like a paper towel tube. Pull the tube out, light one of the above starters and drop it down the hole.

Supposed to take about 10-15 min to get the bbq up to temp.

It has a vent at the bottom and the top which you leave wide open to create a chimmney effect inside the bbq and close the vents down when you get it up to the temp you want.

The total diehards just go with a propane blowtorch.

PROPANE TORCH WITH 3 NOZZLES
  • Lol, you want the good info, ya gotta go to a redneck:

Fred's Music and BBQ supply. :rolleyes:

BIG GREEN EGG LIGHTING IT ! PICKIN N GRILLIN BARBECUE SHOW - YouTube
  • You can make firestarters very easily . . .

1) Purchase a package of paper cups at the dollar store.
    2) Fill paper cups with wood chips, broken popsicle sticks, saw-dust, etc.
    3) Melt paraffin wax into cup until 3/4 full, allow to harden.

The volcano idea is a good one, but instead of using something you need to remove, just get those paper funnels that the gas stations will give out for free.

Put your firestarter in place and light it. Then, cap it with the paper funnel and create your charcoal volcano. The firestarter will set the paper funnel on fire at some point along the way, and off you go . . .

We used to do this in Scouts, so I know it works.