Things That I have Seen

2»

Comments

• I have seen the side of a car, fractions of a second before impact, as it pulled out in front of me when I was only feet away from it while traveling at 70 km on a motorcycle
  • yup

Being there when a very close friend won a WSOP Bracelet in 2011
  • There are 2 kinda cool sports moments I've seen.

First was George Bell hitting a 2 run homer in the bottom of the 10th to give the Jays a 7-5 win in their final game at Exhibition Stadium in May '89

Also saw Roy Halladay in 8 innings of prefect ball before giving up a shitty single. Thought I was seeing at last a No-no for sure. He did get the complete game shutout win though.
  • It all started in a 5000 watt radio station... how's that for an oldie!

Was there for the birht of all three kids
    first one- kept at the wife end
    second- split time between wife and action end
    third- "Hey doc, move to the left a little so I can see"

Gun pointing NO. I played poker with a bunch of cops many years ago and held a revolver (heavier than I thought)

Witnessed a person die in an accident on my way to a golf tournament in Fort Erie. The car was 200 or 300 yards ahead of me, when suddenly it starts to fishtail and then roll repeatedly. By the time a trucker and I got there, he was hanging half out of his car and very mangled. Trucker tried to revive, but could not.

Proud moments: one of my daughters danced for Canada in the wolrd championships in Las Vegas. My son played for Ontario in field lacrosse against a US team representing Maryland in the Brogden Cup. I scored a goal for my oldtimer team in Europe (and took the puck, still have it, made all the other guys envious)

I will go as an entry with Johnnie for this post. Johnnie, I took all three of those items off your bucket list for you!!
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    There are 2 kinda cool sports moments I've seen.

First was George Bell hitting a 2 run homer in the bottom of the 10th to give the Jays a 7-5 win in their final game at Exhibition Stadium in May '89

Also saw Roy Halladay in 8 innings of prefect ball before giving up a shitty single. Thought I was seeing at last a No-no for sure. He did get the complete game shutout win though.

Ah Jays in the heyday.

I saw Devo make "the catch" from the left field OF seats...as soon as he hit the wall and held on to the ball I elbowed my dad beside me and yelled "They're going to get a triple play" (he said his ribs hurt for a couple weeks). And we all know they did make the triple play. :bs:
  • fun thread!
    • i nailed a deer with my car before. there were actually 2 on the road but managed to miss the 2nd one. i slammed on the breaks and car skidded (it was raining). i hopped the medium and crashed into the guard rail and then got hit on the passenger side by oncoming traffic. luckily no serious injuries not counting the deer (whiplash for me and broken nose for other driver) but if anyone was in the car with me they would have died for sure. worst part: city wouldn't let me take the deer home :(
    • watched my accident prone father maim himself a few times: axe to the knee right to the bone, fall off a ladder and literally rip a lot of the skin off his back just to name a couple
    i'm sure there's more that i just can't think of right now.
  • I saw Geroy Simon achieve the record for all time receiving yards.

I've seen someone put a mentos into a 2L bottle of coke.

That is all.
  • saw a guy look at one card, see a 2, and push for $500 once at 2/5. Also saw a guy lose $5k at $1/$2 once in two hours...the horror...the horror...
  • I saw one of the final three games played at old Yankee Stadium.

During batting practice at that game, I saw a home run ball land in my hand. I would get to see my mom tear up that christmas when I gave it to her as a present.

Stood 10 feet away from Lenny Kravitz in concert during halftime of the Grey Cup in Toronto (Sask vs Winnipeg). Saw myself on Sportscentre later. How? Because 1,000 people were on the field for the halftime show. 999 were wearing Roughrider green; I was wearing my eye searing orange Happy Planet hoodie.

Through blurry tear filled eyes as a 10 year old, I saw my brother kick the crap out of the kid that just slammed my head into the back of the bus seat.

On three occasions I was lucky enough to see cats that I owned give birth to kittens. All three times they chose my bed as the birthplace. Never been so happy to sleep on the floor :)

Witnessed a cloud explode in Arizona. So freakin' cool to be in the middle of it!

Will keep thinking of other cool stuff :)
  • Was in the CNE grandstand when George Bell caught the final out to secure the Blue Jays their first ever AL East crown. My brother still has the stub, along with an I heart NY button that has "in 2nd place" in teeny tiny print on the bottom of it.
    Also saw Stieb take a perfect game into the ninth at Skydome only to see Roberto Kelly hit a slicing double down the left field line . . . the BASTARD.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Witnessed a cloud explode in Arizona. So freakin' cool to be in the middle of it!

Will keep thinking of other cool stuff :)

Can you explain what this means? I have never heard of exploding clouds. Or maybe this is a typo, but I can't think of what it should be?
  • I have seen a cheetah stalk and kill a gazelle and a lioness and her cubs eating a recently killed buffalo on the Serengeti plains.

I have seen (and heard) the northern lights.

I have seen my nephew successfully ride a two-wheeler without training wheels for the first time. (For an aunt who never expects to have children, being the only person present for a milestone was great.)

I have seen the tallest building in the world from inside and out.

I have seen an elephant peeing on the street while being taken for a walk.

I have seen Sergio Garcia go behind some bushes to pee during the time between his approach shot and his putt.

I have seen Steve Nash receive one of his MVP awards in person in Phoenix.

I have seen female strippers twice, but never seen male strippers, despite the fact that I am female myself and not gay.
  • BrennerM wrote: »
    Can you explain what this means? I have never heard of exploding clouds. Or maybe this is a typo, but I can't think of what it should be?

I may have used the wrong term but basically what happened is the cloud had too much pressure built up and instead of just drizzling or raining it burst, causing a massive rainfall essentially out of nowhere. It was really neat to see. We were driving at the time and my dad refused to pull over, feeling it would be safer to keep driving. Not sure if he was right or not but we didn't crash so it wouked out alright.
  • Peeps I have seen:

132255_10150339306860324_5797812_o.jpg

Eddie Van Halen

164839_10150349454865324_8007977_n.jpg

Drtyore and I (stpboy took the pic) meet Erick Lingren

165654_10150349463145324_2345983_n.jpg

Same day, Daniel Negreanu

72039_10150349459090324_4626435_n.jpg

Mike Holmes

7827_286427070323_7347601_n.jpg

Chef Michael Smith

Also met, but don't have picture proof:

Joe Satchriani
    James Hetfield (Metallica)
    Kirk Hammet (Metallica)
    Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
    Jason Newstead (formerly of Metallica)
    Loads of '90s Canadian bands
  • Mike Holmes looks like an oompaloompa in that picture.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Mike Holmes looks like an oompaloompa in that picture.

haha....we said the same thing.
  • Awesome thread Greg...

Been around the world
    Swam in all 4 sides of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, 3 of the 4 were cold as hell
    Had a stamp from a different country on every page of a passport
    Been to every province and territory in Canada
    Met Wayne Gretzky the year he came to Edmonton, he went to the same high school as a girl I was dating
    Saw the Oilers win their first Stanley Cup
    Was there when Pudge won his bracelet
    Won the largest poker tournament ever held at the Venetian, at least thats what the TD told me at the time
    Never had a gun, knife or any other type of weapon pointed directly at me

The coolest thing was holding my daughter right after she was born

Garry
  • Didn't realize we were putting in awesome people we met. Sweet!

Kevin Nash - got to drive him around Timmons which was fun and a half to say the least. Uber nice guy!

Kurt Angle - boy was he smashed!

Bret Hart - another super nice guy

Lanny Macdonald - sat beside him for an entire Flames game the year after they won the cup and didn't realize it. Flames vs Whalers in Calgary and we got free tickets because we used to billet junior players and one of them made it onto Hartford. Was so into the game that I never realized Lanny was there till the end of the night!
  • Cerberus wrote: »

Kevin Nash - got to drive him around Timmons which was fun and a half to say the least. Uber nice guy!

Methinks there is more to this story . . . lol