Penny Rounding

Thoughts on getting rid of the penny this week? will we forever have to round up or down?? Had the first store try to rip me off, rounded off my drink from $2.91 up to $2.95. This will likely happen a lot for the next few months. Some stores are still giving proper change (including the pennies). I guess as long as HST is at 13%, won't be able to do much about rounding. 10% sales tax makes a lot more sense now. Likely government would prefer to round up from 13% to 20%.

I guess if you use a credit card/bank card, no need to round off? Are pennies still legal tender?

Have to get me one of these old coin dispensers (like the TTC drivers use to carry):

Comments

• I first heard of this the other day

When did this pass? Lol

Back at my place up north, I have 2 giant pickle jars full of pennies

I only ever use cash to buy stuff, took me a long time to get that many pennies lol I betr be able to get guap for them
  • Where you been Fed? It was announced in the budget last year.

Rounding only applies to cash transactions on the final total so the tax amount does not really matter.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Rounding only applies to cash transactions on the final total so the tax amount does not really matter.

if we had a 10% HST, would not need to round off as much. Although the store would need to round off all their prices accordingly.
  • Went to Zehrs the other day. Cashier told me that she's already had a handful of people telling her she should be rounding in their favour.......... When they're paying with their debit card. They were serious.

My understanding is that the coins will remain legal tender, I don't think they can change that. However, most stores will be accepting them but not giving them out as change.
    if we had a 10% HST, would not need to round off as much. Although the store would need to round off all their prices accordingly.

But that could also mean we'd be getting tax increases in multiples of 5%!
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Where you been Fed? It was announced in the budget last year.

Don't call me fed

And sry, I don't keep my eyes and ears peeled on the budget every year

Gonna go get my 50 beans for all my pennies ! :laugh:
  • costanza wrote: »
    Don't call me fed

And sry, I don't keep my eyes and ears peeled on the budget every year

Gonna go get my 50 beans for all my pennies ! :laugh:

I'd like to break the report button on your PFC experience. Why do you think that you or I have any control over people calling you a name that you previously assigned to yourself. Stop reporting trivial issues, whining about trivial issues reported not being addressed, etc. Be a big boy for christ sake.
  • Go to bank, withdraw $0.03. Bank has to round up to $.05. Instant 40% ROI.
  • Pennies are still legal tender for cash transactions, despite what Burger King tried to tell me this morning. Any after tax purchase ending in a 3, 4, 8, or 9 will be rounded up to the nearest Nickel. A purchase ending in 1, 2, 6, or 7 will be rounded down. Over the long run the rounding effect generally has been shown to even out, provided retailers do not alter pricing to favour themselves. The Competition Bureau is tasked with ensuring this doesn't happen, but these are the same folks who cannot find evidence of collusion in gas pricing, so consider yourselves warned.

Electronic purchases will not be rounded in any fashion.
  • moose wrote: »
    Go to bank, withdraw $0.03. Bank has to round up to $.05. Instant 40% ROI.

Your bank will likely tell you that they will not process transactions below $0.05. Nothing stopping you from taking $0.02 worth of "free" gas, though.
  • Fun fact I didn't know until the weekend:

Although legal tender, in Canada (perhaps it was Ontario specific), no business is required by law to accept legal tender of a certain value (hence the "will not accept $100 bill" things)

Mark
  • Also, commercial businesses are allowed to accept whatever currency they choose.
  • Yes, you'd be surprised at how many businesses accept Canadian Tire money at par. All you have to do is ask.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    Yes, you'd be surprised at how many businesses accept Canadian Tire money at par. All you have to do is ask.

Iz serious? Cuz my comment was the foolow-on to what DrTyore posted about what a business is willing to accept as payment for goods.
    Yes, you'd be surprised at how many businesses accept Canadian Tire money at par. All you have to do is ask.

LA franks tho
  • I'd like to break the report button on your PFC experience. Why do you think that you or I have any control over people calling you a name that you previously assigned to yourself. Stop reporting trivial issues, whining about trivial issues reported not being addressed, etc. Be a big boy for christ sake.

Reminds me of a story that my parents used to tell me about a young lad who journied west
  • I could use a nice story, as I have been watching Walking Dead S2 tonight, and I do not wish to have nightmares . . . it is a happy story, right?
  • Milo wrote: »
    I could use a nice story, as I have been watching Walking Dead S2 tonight, and I do not wish to have nightmares . . . it is a happy story, right?

It's a beautiful story about money, romance, and overcoming obstacles in life

It's about perseverance , and being about that life
  • Oh goodie . . . I like happy stories. Easy on the "romance" part though, I do not wish to have "awkward" dreams disturbing my sleep. Is it a wholesome romance?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Oh goodie . . . I like happy stories. Easy on the "romance" part though, I do not wish to have "awkward" dreams disturbing my sleep. Is it a wholesome romance?

It's a boy meets girl story, and how they overcame adversity (getting scammed in a new place) .. It has all the goodies including drinking, secks, sight seeing, hand holding, ice skating, expensive restaurants, and then breaking off the relationship because feelings were getting too strong , but then we re kindled and then I left anyways so she's tilted lol

I'll be back to sweep her off her feet tho, I will be her knight in shining armour and the prince she deserves ... :)

God this thread got off track :arghh:
    It's a boy meets girl story, and how they overcame adversity (getting scammed in a new place) .. It has all the goodies including drinking, secks, sight seeing, hand holding, ice skating, expensive restaurants, and then breaking off the relationship because feelings were getting too strong , but then we re kindled and then I left anyways so she's tilted lol

I'll be back to sweep her off her feet tho, I will be her knight in shining armour and the prince she deserves ... :)

God this thread got off track :arghh:

Don't forget the start! It's the best part..

"Once upon a time..."

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Don't forget the start! It's the best part..

"Once upon a time..."

Mark

Sad thing is, is that its real lol

Haha...there used to be a peeler bar in Kamloops that advertised this on a very large banner, on one of the busiest streets in town.
    Sad thing is, is that its real lol

Care to wager on how many ppl buy that in the least on here?

Mark

Edit: And no, that isn't the sad thing
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    now that we got rid of the penny, time to bring back the $1,000 bill. Make life a lot easier for poker players :)

Sick brag, JAH. Well played.
  • I think I'm the only schmuck working retail here lol.

So far we are still giving pennies and taking them. Had a guest tell me that we couldn't give him pennies as change. I said no problem, took them back, he left and I put them in the donation jar.

No firm date as to if/when they'd stop letting people use pennies. Not a big deal either way money wise. The issue for us is time as our system doesn't automatically round up or down. They're working on a fix but I've heard from a few retailers that they've got the same issue.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Sick brag, JAH. Well played.

not that I have had that problem lately.....
  • hundos are a PITA.

Back in the 90's I was selling computers. Sold this old guy an IBM costing somewhere in the $3-4k range. He pulled out three $1k bills and a handful of $100's. I'd never seen or heard of the $1k before. Showed them to my boss. He told me to give the guy a 1/2 hour tutorial on using the machine while he ran the three bills to the bank!
    Had the first store try to rip me off, rounded off my drink from $2.91 up to $2.95.

Costco rounds automatically.