UFC Fight

2»

Comments

• Hedricks and Condint was an awesome fight. GSP is gonna have a hard time with Hendricks IMO. You can tell Hendricks trained hard for that fight last night, he did amazing.

As stated, the Hendricks takedowns were defensive in nature. I doubt he will take GSP down as easily, and might even find himself on the receiving end of GSP' power-double. Hendricks was too reliant on that nuke of a left hook. It was obvious from the first bell that he was hunting for it. He will be too one dimensional if that continues, and GSP will easily be able to gameplan for it in their title fight. Hendricks will get dumped on his ass, and wrestlers HATE to be on their backs, as they have no strategies to deal with it. If Johny doesn't "catch" Georges with that left in the first 60 seconds, it's over for him.
  • Gsp looked kind of slugish at the end of the third, through the championship rounds. It looked like he got tired faster then usual, that worried me a little bit.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Hendricks got the benefit of judges valuing takedowns over action. Every time he took Condit down, he did nothing to advance the position, he did not land any significant strikes. If anything Condit was more active than he was. His broken hand was probably a factor, but those takedowns were strictly defensive, imo, and I put more value on aggression and offense in a fight than defense.

Yep, Condit wins if this is a 5 round fight.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Yep, Condit wins if this is a 5 round fight.
    Doubt that. But thats my opinion.
  • Doubt that. But thats my opinion.

Not by decision.

I dont think hendricks would have survived with that hand. Condit was getting better through the end of r2 and r3, Hendricks was gassing.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Not by decision.

I dont think hendricks would have survived with that hand. Condit was getting better through the end of r2 and r3, Hendricks was gassing.

This . . . Hendricks was gassing towards the end of round three and Condit was starting to hit him harder and harder, hence the constant takedowns. If that fight had two more rounds, condit turns the lights out or gets a sub, almost 100%.
  • Gsp looked kind of slugish at the end of the third, through the championship rounds. It looked like he got tired faster then usual, that worried me a little bit.

Ditto . . . i chalk it up to how much he had to defend against Diaz' ground attack. As much as people get on his case about lay and pray (total BS by the way), GSP had to work his ass off against Diaz in this fight. When was the last time you saw him talking to Rogan where he had to catch his breath before every answer? Nick put him to the test last night.
  • GSP's fight was terribly boring yet again......

Looking forward to Hendricks v GSP, I think Hendricks style and superb wrestling will be a good matchup against GSP.

I'm calling Hendricks ftw
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    GSP's fight was terribly boring yet again......

Looking forward to Hendricks v GSP, I think Hendricks style and superb wrestling will be a good matchup against GSP.

Do you feel that Hendricks brings anything more than Koshchick did?

2 wrestlers usually = striking match...hopefully a good one. I assume (just by looking at them) that GSP has the reach advantage and his Karate will allow him to move in and out much better than Hendricks. GSP will probably jab the shit out of Hendricks akin to the Koshchick fight.
  • The only way I can see any of the current crop of fighters beating GSP is him getting old or perhaps a lack of will to continue... He seems to have pretty well run the table and only old age will get him. He is already starting to show it a bit imo, however still is better than the rest. I agree his fights are not always the most exciting, but is he fighting to win or entertain? He should retire on top. What more does he have to prove?
  • I am so far behind in these, I have no idea what anyone's talking about. The only way I get to watch these is if my wife is out of town for the night. I don't understand, she can watch the depression/bloodbath of American Horror Story, but can't watch a little UFC.

boo.
  • GSP fights are so boring

he cant strike/box with the best of them, so he has to take it to the ground where he has an edge

dana is gonna drop him soon enough imo, his fights are simply boring as helllllll and horrible for ppv
    GSP's fight was terribly boring yet again......

If you thought the fight was a bore, then you really have no idea what you were watching. Either that or some of the highest level grappling you are ever likely to see is just not your cup of tea. Personally, I thought the amount of effort GSP had to put into neutralizing Diaz and his BJJ, while still attempting to remain busy enough to avoid a "stand-up" was intriguing. There were a few times that Nick got enough space to work, and seeing GSP counter as quickly and thoroughly as he did was a treat.
    Different strokes, I guess . . .
    GTA Poker wrote: »

2 wrestlers usually = striking match...hopefully a good one. I assume (just by looking at them) that GSP has the reach advantage and his Karate will allow him to move in and out much better than Hendricks. GSP will probably jab the shit out of Hendricks akin to the Koshchick fight.

Hendricks wrestling pedigree is much more substantial than Koscheck's, so yes, he does bring more. I would not be surprised to see Hendricks actually take GSP down if he tries it. As for Georges jabbing the crap out of him, you do realize that the best counter to GSP's jab is a counter left hook, right? Just so happens that Hendricks counter left hook is a nuclear bomb just waiting to go off on his opponent's chin, so lets hope GSP has a better gameplan than that.
    costanza wrote: »
    GSP fights are so boring

he cant strike/box with the best of them, so he has to take it to the ground where he has an edge

dana is gonna drop him soon enough imo, his fights are simply boring as helllllll and horrible for ppv

Actually made the exception of taking your post off ignore, just to see what idiocy you would post. You have, as always, no clue what you are talking about. But, just for fun, lets dissect your stupidity, shall we?

He cannot strike/box with the best of them . . . Nick Diaz is widely regarded as one of the best boxers in all of MMA. In the fight last night he was outstruck by GSP. The standard retort to this evidence would be that GSP has no power in his strikes, to which I reply with, "go look at pictures of Jon Fitch, Josh Koschek, or Carlos Condit, after they fought GSP." And then remember that all of Kos's damage was done by GSP's jab.

Dana is going to drop him soon enough . . . because Dana white and the Fertitta brothers hate money, right? Last night's card had gate receipts of over $13.5 million dollars. Yeah, firing your cash cow is real smart for business.

His fights are boring as hell and horrible for PPV . . . which is why GSP fights result in the highest PPV buy rates of any fighter currently under contract with the UFC. Higher even than Anderson Silva. the only fighter who has ever done a higher number than GSP is the retired Brock Lesnar. Dana has been on record for years stating that GSP is the #1 PPV star in the company. That is one of the reasons that Zuffa, and Silva, want the superfight to be between Silva and GSP, rather than Jones.

Your trolling would be so much more effective if you actually had a clue what you were talking about. But your crap is so ridiculously easy to disprove, it isn't even entertaining anymore. Just STFU . . .
  • lets be honest, ive never been on ignore for you

now that that's out of the way, lets actually address my comments

Diaz said in his corner last night "all I know is that he hits like a bitch"

doesnt take much to damage previous scar tissue and make mince meat out of peoples faces

im just saying, as a general spectator (someone who doesnt give a flying fuck about mma except for sweating bets) that gsp's fights are always boring as hell
    If you thought the fight was a bore, then you really have no idea what you were watching. Either that or some of the highest level grappling you are ever likely to see is just not your cup of tea. Personally, I thought the amount of effort GSP had to put into neutralizing Diaz and his BJJ, while still attempting to remain busy enough to avoid a "stand-up" was intriguing. There were a few times that Nick got enough space to work, and seeing GSP counter as quickly and thoroughly as he did was a treat.
    Different strokes, I guess . . .

No offence Milo, but, I was in a pub with about 150 people.......147 of which found the fight as exciting as learning about arctic snow drifts (I have the survey results here).

I'm actually one that doesn't mind the grappling, but GSP did next to nothing on the ground to try to end the fight.....that's what made it boring.

U can try to knock my knowledge of MMA, but I've been watching since UFC #1, so I have a decent grasp of what's 'entertaining'.

There was a time when GSP fights were always good.....that time has long past.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »

As Milo noted, Hendricks wrestling (2 time Div 1 NCAA wrestling champ) is drastically better than Koschuck, and so is his standup.

Hendricks is probably one of the few who can take down GSP....and his power will mean GSP doesn't want to stand with him....should be a good fight anyhow.
  • As I said, different strokes . . . but if you could explain how he is supposed to try and "end the fight" while trying to prevent Diaz from reversing positions on him, I would appreciate the education. He would gain top position, pass guard, or get to half guard, and begin the process of softening him up. Somewhere along the way Diaz would secure the wrist either for a kimura attempt, or to try and utilze that weird "roll" he has to reverse positions. At that point GSP has to become defensive in order to maintain control/position and start the whole process over again.

So how, exactly, is he supposed to finish a fighter who is not making it possible for him to do that without risking being finished himself?

And I was not "knocking" your knowledge, merely trying to ascertain it's level. There are too many "fans" who start booing if two fighters spend more than 30 seconds engaged on the canvas. Even educated fans are divided on what they find exciting. I thought the technical prowess shown by both Diaz and GSP last night was very entertaining, literally human chess.
    So how, exactly, is he supposed to finish a fighter who is not making it possible for him to do that without risking being finished himself?

I think you've now figured it out.....you generally can't finish, without some risk. Since GSP lost to Serra, he's fought not to lose...and that will maintain him as champion, but won't make for any exciting fights.
    As Milo noted, Hendricks wrestling (2 time Div 1 NCAA wrestling champ) is drastically better than Koschuck, and so is his standup.

Hendricks is probably one of the few who can take down GSP....and his power will mean GSP doesn't want to stand with him....should be a good fight anyhow.

I don't know that I would say his stand up is "better". He certainly has more power, but as far as technique goes, I might still favour Kos. I also thought that last night, especially in the first round, Hendricks seemed all too focused on landing that big left ASAP, rather than moving Condit around and setting up a more certain opportunity. I think he is in danger of jumping on his own bandwagon in that regard and, against a tactician like GSP, that could cost him, as it almost did against Condit.
    I think you've now figured it out.....you generally can't finish, without some risk. Since GSP lost to Serra, he's fought not to lose...and that will maintain him as champion, but won't make for any exciting fights.

I really dislike the whole "fights to not lose" meme . . . Every fighter is supposed to fight, "not to lose", because that means they will win, which is sort of the point, right?

Now, you can argue the "entertainment" aspects all you want, but those are subjective qualities that will be different for everyone. I loved the Wandi v. Stann fight a few weeks ago, as Wanderlei Silva is perhaps my favourite fighter of all time. But I also appreciate the total dominance that GSP displays every time he steps into the cage. A lot of other folks must feel the same way or he would not set the PPV numbers that he does.
  • Nick Diaz has accused UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre of being on steroids.

Is this Diaz just being a sore loser?

Nick Diaz accuses Georges St-Pierre of doping
  • Nick Diaz has accused UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre of being on steroids.

Is this Diaz just being a sore loser?

Nick Diaz accuses Georges St-Pierre of doping

You realize that was before the fight not after. Just part of his hype..