New Car Advice/Opinions

I love my truck, but I really don't need it in this warm climate. It was great and fun having 4wd in the Alberta winters, etc...but now I want something smaller, better on gas and that has a sunroof.

I don't like crappy feeling cheap American cars (most of my experiences are with car rentals in this area) and I'm not once to spend 60k+ for the image of having an expensive car.

The purchase probably won't happen for 4-8+ months, but I will soon start looking around a bit. So far, the new 2013 VW Jetta Hybrid seems interesting to me although I have only been looking online tonight as a start and I'm not sure if it is a bit too small for me comfort wise (I'm 6' 220#). I've always purchased 1-2 year old cars as I think that is the best deal, so I wouldn't jump on this right away...especially with it being new on the market and potentially having big problems with newer technology.

Configurator - volkswagen.com

I can't really get an electric car as I don't think I'll have access to an appropriate outlet at the parking for my condo.

No, Mark, I will not get a clown car.

Comments

• get a 2012/13 mustang convertible

GT too, none of that sissy v6 crap
  • Look at Hyundais if you are dead set against the Big3. Their reputation for quality (both in design and durability) is highly respected over the last few years, so that plays into your "used" angle. You cannot go too far wrong with a VW, so why the worries about a hybrid? Just get a 2-3 yr old Jetta and enjoy. Or is there some sort of CA tax break for hybrids?

If you are willing to do so, I would recommend Ford. The wife and i were both pretty impressed during our car search last year. Went with a Kia because of pricing, which I will assume is not as much of an issue for you.
  • best car I ever had was a Acura TL. Changed for my current car but thinking of going back. All the luxury you need in a car without the BMW pricetag.
  • We have a ford fusion and nissan and both are 6years old and have not required any maintenance other then blown or flat tires.

I wouldn't discount ford as I moved away from GM a while back as I was upset with american quality but I am quite satisfied with the fusion.

Our next set of vehicles will likely be the lexus is350 awd as I test drove that and it an amazing balance between comfort and power. Obv bmw and audi handle better overall but if you ever wanted to take your sofa and put it in as a seat for your car this is it.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could get a used one over there for around 30kish. They run forever too because they're a toyota.
  • Hyundai Genesis coupe FTW. I think you would be blown away.
  • i keep hearing that hyundai has been making good cars lately however i'm still skeptical.

i've owned an acura which was great and i currently own a 2007 honda civic which is also very good. no complaints so far.
  • I've owned a '93 civic hatchback since '99. I've put this poor little beast through hell many times over. It absolutely will not die. The hatchback allowed me to carry all of my painting gear around for several years til I got a van. Dogs love the back area with the seats folded down.

Incredible on gas.

Passed it on to my wife when I got a van for work. She recently came across a deal that simply put, was to good to pass up. She passed it up. Couldn't let the little civic go. At 240 thousand clicks, the motor sounds just as good as the day I got it.

Replaced a few alternators, and that's been about it.

Not sure what the newer ones are like, but I'll always vouch for the older ones.

I should add that the civics front seats are the most comfortable I've ever driven in. When I lived in Vancouver, I understand these were ripped out of stolen vehicles, modified and installed in pickups. I camped in my civic many times and slept in the front passenger seat with it folded down. People thought I was crazy, while they slept in their tents on rocks and uneven ground while I watched the stars through the moonroof.
  • Forgot to mention that a hybrid allows you to use the HOV lanes at any time here in Cali and the traffic in this area is the worst in the US, so that part would be helpful as well. I'll take a look at everything mentioned so far.
  • We have a ford fusion and nissan and both are 6years old and have not required any maintenance other then blown or flat tires.
    A buddy of mine has a brand new Ford Fusion, and he says it's the best car he's ever had.
  • Doesn't Cali offer tax rebates for hybrids?

A couple of times over the past few weeks I have driven the new Ford Fusion and C-Max hybrids (have a friend that owns a Ford dealership).

The Fusion is just a beautiful car. A bit bigger than what I need and prefer but if you're looking for a mid-size sedan it is gorgeous.

2013-Ford-Fusion-Detroit-Auto-Show-04.JPG

The C-Max is more my style. Thought it looked small from the outside but is surprisingly spacious.

2013-ford-c-max-energi-2.jpg

The hybrid engine is sweet. Not really suited for me as I have mostly highway driving but over the course of 3-4 days I averaged 46 mpg. Gas kicks in when accelerating or when battery is low. Braking regenerates the battery. In stop and go traffic it would be a dream. Absolutely silent when electric driving....snuck up on my cat sitting in our driveway a couple times.
  • was looking at a 2011 C350 but found it too small. If your single, probably too big for your needs. Personally, I like the Challenger.
  • I drove an Altima coupe for 4 years, loved the car, never had a problem, very reliable. The sedans are nice looking cars too if you want to be able to actually fit people into the back.
  • Hyundai and Kia are pretty much the same...we just bought the KIA sportage awd...as we still live in the snow..but we spent a lot of time looking at the Optima (kia)..big car, but still fuel efficient..and priced reasonable.
  • GTA let's look at this like real people for a second.

You are at the age where you can justify having a mid life crisis... Ur single, traveling around, allegedly crushing pokerz ... U should buy something fucking sick IMO, try not to cheap out lol

#yolo

#blending
  • Just a thought. Kills two birds with one stone! Enviro friendly as well!

Bike powers the blender!

blenderonwheels.jpg
  • Just a thought. Kills two birds with one stone! Enviro friendly as well!

Bike powers the blender!

blenderonwheels.jpg

oh haz blender...hmmmmm
  • Doesn't Cali offer tax rebates for hybrids?

A couple of times over the past few weeks I have driven the new Ford Fusion and C-Max hybrids (have a friend that owns a Ford dealership).

The Fusion is just a beautiful car. A bit bigger than what I need and prefer but if you're looking for a mid-size sedan it is gorgeous.

2013-Ford-Fusion-Detroit-Auto-Show-04.JPG

The C-Max is more my style. Thought it looked small from the outside but is surprisingly spacious.

2013-ford-c-max-energi-2.jpg

The hybrid engine is sweet. Not really suited for me as I have mostly highway driving but over the course of 3-4 days I averaged 46 mpg. Gas kicks in when accelerating or when battery is low. Braking regenerates the battery. In stop and go traffic it would be a dream. Absolutely silent when electric driving....snuck up on my cat sitting in our driveway a couple times.

Will take a look at Ford as well -- they aren't all cheap and plasticy inside?

Also, do they have decent acceleration? Lots of crazy freeway driving in SoCal
  • dammit man, you're in Cali

Cars

4da8196eaa251.jpg
  • GTA instead of being concerned about acceleration you should be concerned about the braking.

make sure it can stop on a dime... so u can pick it up!

:)
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    dammit man, you're in Cali

Cars

4da8196eaa251.jpg

no sunroof:(
  • I can't see but I feel a Fedding

#hegonnadoit
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    no sunroof:(

lulz, dude, retractable hard top for the win and a half,

4ffd5982f160b.jpg

and only 300K all in!
  • If you're going to spend that kind of money, get a Lambo. Raging bull > prancing horse.
  • Milo wrote: »
    If you're going to spend that kind of money, get a Lambo. Raging bull > prancing horse.

It's a Mclaren > anything at this price
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    It's a Mclaren > anything at this price

Apologies, but still . . . sacrilege.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Apologies, but still . . . sacrilege.

I started to get mad when I read this and then laughed at myself at how stupid a reaction it was. funny how cars are such emotional things. You buy them and 99.99999 some odd percent depreciate to nothing in 20 years but they can wrap you up.

yeah, Lambo's are are real visceral vehicles. read up on the McLaren though and you will be a fan. ah, only two months to the auto show.....

Oh, someone before mentioned the Acura TL. absolutely solid vehicle. incredible on gas, build quality of a bently, all with an incredible driving experience. make sure to take a look at that if you are in the market for the 4 door style. Still I wish they had stayed with the styling of the 2004 as it is the best looking of the bunch.
  • McLaren is British, no? Pass. If I were to be honest though, my dream car is a Maserati Mistral. I have loved Italian design ever since my first Mistral Hot Wheel car back in 69-70. You are right that it is a visceral thing, and no one is more artistic/passionate than the Italians.

Hell, I even love the current Fiat 500 . . . :)
  • Will check out the Fords tomorrow...took a quick look at a Jetta Hybrid today but the dealer knew nothing about it as they just got one in stock today...also couldn't take it for a drive. Good sales technique.

Also, Cali no longer gives HOV stickers to hybrids but just to electric vehicles:(

Lexus 200h?