Labatt Blue free WPT entry

Hi guys,

Further to the thread I posted in the 'Ask Dave Scharf' section, I thought I'd tell you all that I'll be working with Labatt Blue in the next couple of months, promoting 'Labatt Blue Chip Poker'.

They're giving away a poker table (with legs designed to hold cans of beer), a trip for 4 to Vegas, and last but certainly not least, a free entry into a WPT event.

They're going to be having qualifying tournaments in pubs across the country, starting mid-March. The winner of each of the 88 qualifiers will be flown to Toronto, where the final tournament will take place. The winner of this tournament will receive paid entry into a WPT event. The exact one is unknown, could be Paris, Vegas, LA... they cover all of your expenses.

It's free to enter, and details are available at www.labattblue.ca

On a more personal note, starting immediately, I'll be appearing on various television and radio shows, and in newspaper articles in the Southern Ontario region. I'll be talking about my own experiences in poker, offering tips to beginners, discussing what it's like to play against the pros, and spreading the word about the Labatt Blue promotion. For those who are interested, I'll post my 'bookings' in this thread as I hear about them, so you can tune in or listen in or read an article if you're so inclined.

Cheers! :)

Comments

• WOW.

Good for you!

How did you get this gig?
  • The magic of Dave Scharf.
  • This is awesome. What a gig -- I'm envious! Brilliant idea to pick up the slack of the lost hockey playoffs.

Cheers
    Magi
  • Yes, their timing is perfect. I think (from an objective point of view) that this promotion is going to be huge. The prizes are certainly worth playing for, and the public's interest in poker has never been bigger.

Now if only I was eligible to play... :wink:
  • I think this is a great idea, and a world class promotion. I think magi hit the fact that it's going to fill the void from the hockey playoffs also.

So i'm going to rest my liver, and get ready for some good old pub poker.

Also since if i win they fly me in to toronto, it'll be cool flying from buttonville to the island airport :tongue:
  • The link does seem to be working for me...is it me or the link?
  • sweetjimmi wrote:
    The link does seem to be working for me...is it me or the link?
    must be you cuz link works for me :confused:
  • all_aces wrote:
    I'll be working with Labatt Blue in the next couple of months, promoting 'Labatt Blue Chip Poker'.

They're giving away a poker table (with legs designed to hold bottles of beer), a trip for 4 to Vegas, and last but certainly not least, a free entry into a WPT event.

They're going to be having qualifying tournaments in pubs across the country, starting mid-March. The winner of each of the 88 qualifiers will be flown to Toronto, where the final tournament will take place. The winner of this tournament will receive paid entry into a WPT event. The exact one is unknown, could be Paris, Vegas, LA... they cover all of your expenses.

It's free to enter
    very kewl all_aces :) thx for the heads up :)

this promo is just too sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :)
  • Couldn't find the game nearest me, but it still looks like a cool promo. Congrats, AA!
  • Thanks Iron!

Locations of participating pubs will be posted on that site by mid-March. I think the reason they're launching the promo for it now is so that beginners can practice in the meantime. Most forum members don't need to worry about that, though. I'd love to see one of 'us' take it down...
  • Chugs wrote:
    I think this is a great idea, and a world class promotion. I think magi hit the fact that it's going to fill the void from the hockey playoffs also.

So i'm going to rest my liver, and get ready for some good old pub poker.

Also since if i win they fly me in to toronto, it'll be cool flying from buttonville to the island airport :tongue:

I would feel ripped off. Where can I get to for the flight?
  • LOL... I'm not sure what happens when someone who lives in Toronto wins a trip to Toronto. I would assume that the opportunity to win a WPT seat for nothing would be enough, but an employee of Labatt's would probably be best suited to answer that question, if and when the situation arises.

And just to clarify a point that I probably should have clarified earlier, my role in this promotion is to let people know that it exists, and to offer basic advice on tournament strategy to beginning players. Any questions that you have that are beyond 'what can I win' and 'how do I win it' should probably be directed to Labatt's, through their website.
  • all_aces wrote:
    And just to clarify a point that I probably should have clarified earlier, my role in this promotion is to let people know that it exists, and to offer basic advice on tournament strategy to beginning players. Any questions that you have that are beyond 'what can I win' and 'how do I win it' should probably be directed to Labatt's, through their website.

:wink: Should have just declined the offer and played in the tounament.
  • As soon as anyone sees the final listing of pubs, we should try and post it here as well. Try and get as many people from here as possible. I know a lot of GTA and K-W people are on this site and would love to have someone from here go to the finals (and win of course).
    I am also curious to see how registration will work. I have worked at pubs in my past and I know that these things aren't always first come, first served. Regulars, friends and such get priority over the "regular" folks. If registration is on-line then that may change things.
  • Registration works like this, in general, to the best of my knowledge so far:

Participating bars will be handing out Blue poker chips during the promotion. I think you get one every time you buy a Blue, or maybe you get one if you simply ask for one. Again, further details closer to the actual tournaments. Then you enter your chip(s) into a draw at the bar. Number of players per qualifying tournament will depend on size of establishment. They'll draw a chip for each seat they have available, and if yours is picked, you play the qualifier. If you win it, you move on to the 88-player tournament in which the winner will receive paid entry into the WPT.
  • Unfortunately that scares be a little bit more. I am not blaming Labatt's for this at all. My fear lies in the management of each establishment. Let me recall a quick story. I worked for a restaurant that had a beer promotion. Every time you had a certain type of beer you got a scratch card for an instant win prize and a entry to win a Harley. The scratch cards were sent in two different packages, winners and losers. The management decided when a table or person "deserved" to win items like Zippos and jackets. They would slip you the winner to only high paying customers, regulars or people they wanted to return. If you didn't fit the profile you didn't win.
    Let's just say the draw wasn't as fair as it should have been. I don't have a lot of insider info on that one but a regular did win. Whether or not it was due to a lot of entries is up for debate.

I am going to try and enter and hopefully I will make it. I just get nervous when the management of the store get involved in the outcome. It's like playing poker against a guy who takes a deck of used cards out of his pocket. He may be on the up and up and probably is but still you get a little nervous.
    Of course I am not a trusting person.

Regardless I am going to try. Hey, it's a free shot at a big time tournament that won't cost me a thing. Where's the downside?
  • No problem, we poker players are natural born skeptics. I'd advise speaking to the particular establishment about your concerns... beyond that, there's not much I can say. Best of luck if you decide to participate!
  • Over the past 18 months in the poker business I have lost money. Not a lot, but I am behind (I have made $0 from my role in and part ownership of CPP and the CPT). Obviously, I should stop giving all this stuff to all_aces and start taking it for myself...

By my count, you owe my two martinis and an order of cheese and crackers. That is, for those who might wonder, my usual fee. It's not wonder I never made it as a lawyer.

Seriously, congratulations all_aces.

Ain't poker fun these days?
  • This looks like an excellent oppurtunity, especially for the average beginner like myself. I'm definitley interested in learning more. My 'puter is kinda slow, so the site is taking forever to open up anything, but the tunes ROCK!!!!

Great job guys. You're making this site an absolute must for us all. I would really like to see of you guys this all the way...that is, if you beat me first!!!! :tongue:
  • The link does seem to be working for me...is it me or the link?

It's not you. I have the same problem. Maybe if you guys want to post the list of dates/bars here?
  • Do you mean when you click on it nothing happens, or the home page comes up but THEN nothing happens? It took me a minute to figure out that to get past the home page you have to enter your birthday, so they know you are of legal drinking age when you enter the site.
  • Ya, when I click on it nothing. (Although it took me a few minutes to figure out that age of majority thing too). I think I'm going to see where it diverts me if I put my age in as underaged...
  • Hmmm.... well, I just checked it again, and it works for me. After I type in my birthday, it loads the next screen just fine. Looks like it uses Flash or something to do it... I'm not a real computer expert, so I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I'll cut and paste more details from the site here, when they become available.
  • I think this is a brilliant idea. WTG Aces for getting yourself in the middle of it!
  • i remember telling my wife that the "possible hockey strike" (was still uncertain at the time) was perfect timing for the poker boom. with the online side growing like mad, i told her it was as if everything was falling into place for it to happen. she wasn't too sure, but with things like this, and that hockeynow.com "hockey night in canada" theme to prove my case...oh it's nice to be right now and then ;-)
  • Aces - these games in the bars are NLH, correct? Just wondering b/c in the gloassary on the site, they mention steamrolling and reraising so someone has to call 2 bets. LHE ??
  • Unfortunately I wasn't a part of the creation of the website. However, all of the discussions I've had with the Labatt's people have revolved around NLHE, because that is the game that is (predominantly) played in the WPT. Any pieces of advice I give in my upcoming interviews will be based on NL tournament strategy. So, I'm almost certain it's NLHE--let's say 99.99% certain--but I'll try to find out 100% in the near future, and I'll let you know.

Also, AFAIK, I won't be involved with the logistics of the tournaments themselves, so I can't answer any question about blinds/starting stacks, etc... because I don't have that info. I'm sure that when we get closer to the events, the structures will be made available.
  • First booking... this Thursday March 3 on the Dean Blundell show. FM 102.1 Toronto area, I'll be on between 9:00 and 9:30 am talking about the popularity of poker. Check it out if you're so inclined, more bookings in the works!
  • all_aces wrote:
    First booking... this Thursday March 3 on the Dean Blundell show. FM 102.1 Toronto area, I'll be on between 9:00 and 9:30 am talking about the popularity of poker. Check it out if you're so inclined, more bookings in the works!

If it's not too much trouble could you reschedule this for an hour later? I need my beauty sleep.
  • all_aces wrote:
    First booking... this Thursday March 3 on the Dean Blundell show. FM 102.1 Toronto area, I'll be on between 9:00 and 9:30 am talking about the popularity of poker. Check it out if you're so inclined, more bookings in the works!

Thats awesome! Those guys are HILARIOUS. I used to wake up early, listen to the show, then go back to bed. I'm sure this will be very entertaining.