So is your place of emplyment having a Christmas lunch/dinner?

Mine isn't. :bs:

Got this beauty of an email yesterday:

During this time of transformation we have decided to change a long standing holiday tradition. The seasonal luncheon, that many of our employees have enjoyed in the past, is being changed to a healthier and more culturally inclusive event.

On Thursday, December 13 from 8:30 a.m.to 10:30 a.m. we will offer a complimentary healthy grab and go breakfast, catered by some company I've never heard of . The breakfast will be available in the dining areas cafeterias. Please come and select a healthy breakfast to help you start your day.

Comments

• When I first started here, we would have a traditional Christmas party on a Saturday in early December, then the last day prior to the holidays, the company would bring in a hot luncheon. Gifts were drawn at both, and bonuses were handed out. One year I made a bonus of almost $5k. Some of the gifts included big screen tv's, surround sound systems, laptops, etc.

12 years later, and 6 CEO's and 8 direct report bosses, we still get a lucheon on the last day, but its reduced to cold cuts and buns. Only gifts awarded are those given to us by suppliers...mostly cheese baskets or tshirts and the like. And our bonus is now a $50 grocery card from No Frills.

Hell of a change in the last decade. But most of our employees aren't Christian faith anyway, so they really don't get too hyped about it, they just want the time off or the overtime during the holidays.
  • Ya we went from Christmas lunch w 1/2day off, to Seasonal lunch w 1/2 day off to some crappy breakfast. At least we still get the 1/2 day off.

Going to be fun when some of the staff starts to put up Christmas decorations this year. :(
  • if 'the man' doesn't want us celebrating xmas at work because it's too religious, i'm fine with that. however, everyone who is of a religion that doesn't celebrate xmas better get their ass to work on december 25th. fair is fair after all.
  • But I find it ironic that they make accommodations for other religions. We have a prayer room for our Muslim employees to use.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    But I find it ironic that they make accommodations for other religions. We have a prayer room for our Muslim employees to use.

you should dress up as santa and hand out presents to them while they pray.
  • Being self employed, any party I have will be here at the house with the wife and dogs. On my own tab of course. Just another day in paradise. No paid days off over the holidays as my boss (me) is such a cheap prick...

Wow AJ, a bonus of almost $5k?? That would be very sweet.

When they made a delivery in mid December, Rona gave us a few free carpenters pencils two years ago, and I got a utility knife last year. It had no blade in it.
  • we have a small office, only 6 people. we have a lunch or dinner. 2 years ago we went to The Keg, last year we had a dinner at the boss's house. Easy to accommodate so few people.

At my last place of work (farm), we had about 20 employees and did an xmas lunch. We would order out and everyone would get a small bonus.
  • It's Christmas around here every damn day!! I work/pay, the kids get stuff...lol But yeah, self employed with only the odd part time employee so our celebration will be family on the big day :)

That being said, I do often volunteer at a few Christmas parties that are being held at our ski lodge...one of the perks of being Pres. of the ski club..lol..lots of volunteer hours!!
  • We are going to Woodbine on the 10th for the buffet and the harness racing. I may duck out to try the Poker tables.

• Wow AJ, a bonus of almost $5k?? That would be very sweet.

It was. Worked my ass off all year implementing new processess and systems and general CI stuff. All for naught, I'm afraid as the business has totally changed over the years. And with the turnover of CEO's and guys I report directly to, no one wanted to commit to anything long term. Sad really.

The absolute WORST time of the year for me, is NOW. Our year end is Friday, and of course, I'm responsible for the physical inventory count and audit. Very stressed this week. Looking forward to the holidays just for the time off.
    Ya we went from Christmas lunch w 1/2day off, to Seasonal lunch w 1/2 day off to some crappy breakfast. At least we still get the 1/2 day off.

Going to be fun when some of the staff starts to put up Christmas decorations this year. :(

WTF? Please pass the holiday toast?
  • moose wrote: »

Nope. Just toast.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    It was. Worked my ass off all year implementing new processess and systems and general CI stuff. All for naught, I'm afraid as the business has totally changed over the years. And with the turnover of CEO's and guys I report directly to, no one wanted to commit to anything long term. Sad really.

The absolute WORST time of the year for me, is NOW. Our year end is Friday, and of course, I'm responsible for the physical inventory count and audit. Very stressed this week. Looking forward to the holidays just for the time off.
    moose wrote: »
    Hobbes wrote: »
    Nope. Just toast.

Festivus traditionally begins with the airing of grievances . . .
  • Gonna bring in a Festivus pole this year. :D
  • Laurier used to have a Seasonal Lunch for all staff and employees. All we had to bring was a donation of cash or a toy. It wasn't a great meal, but it was nice see all the profs, admin staff and custodians sitting together for a few hours of eating and chatting. The Prez would get up and give his speech then promptly tell us that the University would be closed on the last Friday, thus giving us most of the day off.

I say "used to" because last year some Scrooge at Queens Park decided that any organization that gets money from the Province cannot use said money to fund any sort of gathering or party.

Merry Christmas!
    Gonna bring in a Festivus pole this year. :D

Pretty sure that Evelyn in Accounts could pin you in no time . . .
  • Yes,

Apparently on Dec 22nd we are all coming into work at 6 in the morning to work for two hours and then have Turkey and Beer.

...wtf?
  • Extra half hour lunch - at a restaurant - that we pay for.

$50 bonus gift card @ Zehr's.

Mark
  • this is good

xmas shouldnt be forced upon ppl, glad the world is getting more PC

its just another day, no need for bonus's , free dinner, and all that imho
  • Dinner and show, with 2 drinks, at Stage West with significant others.

This was with the local Computer Shop which I do contract work with... They included me which I thought was a real nice touch. The last 2 years another client of mine included me in there holiday dinner celebration. They included my as they call me their I/T Director... Benefits of being independant..;)
  • costanza wrote: »
    this is good

Scrooge.... ^^^^ unlike... and jealous..
  • For our annual Xmas party, my office does dinner and dancing at my boss' country club (Rattlesnake in Oakville). It's a pretty good time because they invite everyone (even assistants, admin and part timers) and we are all allowed to bring a guest. Almost everyone attends because it's a decent meal with an open bar. Around 100 people all dressed up having drinks and having a good time. The only down side is that there are only 2 people younger than me in our office and I'm 36 so the demographic is mostly the next generation up. No gifts and no bonuses although they do award some prizes at our quarterly year end region meeting. Mostly gift cards and the occasional Ipad (or something similar)for top performers in different categories. They do the prizes and gifts cards each quarter though so it's not Xmas specific.

TL;DR - my office does a traditional Xmas party with open bar.
  • My wife's company has a dinner (no drinks included) on a weeknight. No spouses invited, no gifts or bonuses. Mind you, her company's higher ups are mostly Jewish so it's definitely not a Christmas celebration. And the dinner is not traditional Jewish fare so it's not a Chanukah celebration either. Just a holiday dinner (party?).
  • At Honda, although I don't attend. They have 2 Christmas parties, 1 for the adults and 1 for the kids. For the adults they Rent out a venue in Toronto, this year was the international center. They Get live entertainment - the Carpet frogs and a Live DJ. They provide 2 alcohol drink tix (cheap bar when you run out)and a bottle of wine at each table. For dinner the have a country style buffet for $30. Its been scaled back since the recession. Used to be free drinks, $1 a plate for food and a show and live bands. 2007 they had a smaller version of cirque du soleil.

And for the kids party they Rent out the Barrie Molson Center. For a dollar a kid, parents get to treat their kids to a full carnival with a gift for each kid. Even tho I don't have kids, I think this is an amazing party to have. #kudoshonda
  • costanza wrote: »
    this is good

Merry Christmas . . .

**Full Disclosure**

Though raised Catholic, and still a believer in a Supreme Being of one form or another, not to mention a Freemason, no pressure of any kind was exerted in order to extend this greeting.
  • Dinner at the Erie Beach Hotel, in Port Dover. First they serve us some perch I guess it's from lake Erie, I've never asked. Then they serve us Turkey with all the fixings. It's usually a good time.
    We also get a half pig cut and wrapped, we just go pick it up from the butcher. mmmmmm free bacon.
    Gonna bring in a Festivus pole this year. :D

We have one. it gets used quite a bit more vigorously each year......
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Extra half hour lunch - at a restaurant - that we pay for.

$50 bonus gift card @ Zehr's.

Mark

they make the best doughnuts. you are so lucky!
    Ya we went from Christmas lunch w 1/2day off, to Seasonal lunch w 1/2 day off to some crappy breakfast. At least we still get the 1/2 day off.

Do you have to run into a Best Western between 6am and 9am to grab the food?
  • First week of December, employees get their bonuses, hopefully early enough for Xmas shopping
    Second Week of December , regular pay
    Third week of December, $100.00 geft card for Metro, for their Xmas dinner
    1/2 day off either before Xmas or New Years, let them decide as per family etc.
    and yes we have a XMAS Luncheon!

Ebenezer Slim, after the ghost sightings!