The end of the world in 2012 is definately comming....

I can no longer get away without having one....I have decided to go Cell phone shopping!

Any advice or opinions on phone types? Heard lots of good things about the Samsung Galaxy III? I want one that is like the ipod thingy I borrowed last fall...

Ready

Set

and GO!!!

Comments

• I have HTC rezound (android) and it works great...6mo old so probably out of date now:

Link No worky
  • Perhaps I should ask....

What is an android phone? or a smart or super phone?
  • basically you want an iphone or an android (google) phone...pretty similar in functionality...both are smart phones
  • iPhone ftw
  • i definitely recommend an android over iphone. don't get a blackberry ffs.

the google phones are pretty good (for example nexus). i'm pretty certain that all google phones are open meaning that you can just keep downloading the newest android software and you don't have to keep buying new phones all the time (i.e. like apple forces you to do).
  • I have had a Galaxy III for two months now. Battery sucks, wont last 24hrs. Basically you have to get into the habit of charging it every day. Not sure about the iphone battery life but I know my other Apple products last a lot longer. I do like the bigger screen of the Galaxy.

If you dont have an ipad i would get the iphone. The iphone 4s is likely free now with the release of the iphone 5. Don't really see a need to have to pay for the iphone 5 when the 4s is a very good phone.

Pokerstars on iphone only right now if you plan to play poker on your phone.

If I could trade my Galaxy III for a 4s, I definitely would. Just more a fan of the Apple operating environment. Seems more user friendly.
  • trigs wrote: »
    i definitely recommend an android over iphone. don't get a blackberry ffs.

the google phones are pretty good (for example nexus). i'm pretty certain that all google phones are open meaning that you can just keep downloading the newest android software and you don't have to keep buying new phones all the time (i.e. like apple forces you to do).

FYI, you can always update your iPhone with the newest firmware, unless it's 4+ yrs old. Apple is smarter then that.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Pokerstars on iphone only right now if you plan to play poker on your phone.

not true. i have it for my android phone.
    UBetIFold wrote: »
    FYI, you can always update your iPhone with the newest firmware, unless it's 4+ yrs old. Apple is smarter then that.

glad they started doing that finally. now tell them to allow upgrades and battery replacements for ipods, ipads, and their computers. sorry, but i hate apple with a passion.
  • I have had the HTC Desire for nearly 3 years (Samsung Galaxy next) and love it. The biggest thing for battery life I have found for htc is making sure you shut down background applications...with all my stuff running, I charge daily...when I use quicktask killer several times a day to shut down stuff I am not using, I charge every second day.

The beauty of the Android, in my opinion, is I don't need to go to my computer every time I want to install, change or add anything. I hate Itunes and refuse to have it on my computer.. Android's drag and drop (when you want to transfer from your computer) for music and photos is great.
  • I have the extended battery on my HTC and haven't had an issue with battery life...also use juice defender app which helps
  • For the iPhone you can upgrade to the latest iOS wirelessly and sync wirelessly as well.
  • got the S3 recently and can say without a doubt it's amazing and you should get it!

itdoesnttakeagenius.jpg
  • SteveKerr wrote: »
    For the iPhone you can upgrade to the latest iOS wirelessly and sync wirelessly as well.

Syncing wirelessly is great, but you still need to be at your computer, no? Can you update and add music or ringtones or photos to your phone while on the road?
  • jdAA88 wrote: »
    got the S3 recently and can say without a doubt it's amazing and you should get it!

itdoesnttakeagenius.jpg

I no longer have any credibility on this type of subject as I'm a blackberry guy, but that's definitely where I'd go if I had to change.
  • I think you should start with a simpler phone since this is your 1st.

Try this

OLD-SCHOOL-cell-phone.jpg
    not true. i have it for my android phone.

only see .Net available on Google store
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    only see .Net available on Google store

You need to go to pokerstars.com to get the real money version for android. It was discussed in another thread.

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f8/pokerstars-mobile-now-available-app-store-28954/
  • Dennis You can update to latest iOS from anywhere.

Anything you do on your iPhone will show up on your computer, iPad, iTouch, ect. If you have your settings set for that.
    Dennis You can update to latest iOS from anywhere.

Anything you do on your iPhone will show up on your computer, iPad, iTouch, ect. If you have your settings set for that.

Can you download music and applications to your phone without using Itunes??
  • DennisG wrote: »

Apps are purchased front the mobile App Store, not iTunes.
  • Basically...the newest iphone and samsung galaxy have about the same battery life (up to about 2 days with moderate use...about a day with constant use). Galaxy II and III have a bigger screen. Great for multimedia...but almost approaching too big to be a phone.
    Android is pretty much the same as the Iphone operating system, but doesn't limit the user trying to screw them over at every turn. Samsung galaxies and most android phones have the micro sd slot so you can expand the storage...Apple again tries to hold the izombies hostage and the only way to expand memory is to upgrade to the next iphone 6 months after you bought your last one. Android software allows you to put any video, music file etc on your phone...no hassle. Apple...well...you know the drill.
    Bottom line...go with some sort of android phone. I have a samsung galaxy II....love it. Apple as a corporation is pretty evil. That being said...izombies love it when apple bends them over and often can be heard yelling "Thank you Steve may I have another";)

If you are talking about pirated music. I am not sure as I don't do that.

If you are talking about paying for music. It is possible
    If you are talking about pirated music. I am not sure as I don't do that.

If you are talking about paying for music. It is possible

I am talking about downloading ringtones, or music (free or paid) or (especially) applications without being close to your computer. It is my understanding that you cannot do any of these things on an iphone without being tethered to your computer, hardwired or wirelessly
  • The other thing that annoys me with Iphone is the ironfisted control they keep...not allowing any app, censorship...etc. Oh yeah, and I am a "google" guy..lol Calendars and mail all synced works well for me...navigation rocks too.
    I am talking about downloading ringtones, or music (free or paid) or (especially) applications without being close to your computer. It is my understanding that you cannot do any of these things on an iphone without being tethered to your computer, hardwired or wirelessly

I have never done ringtones but any app can be downloaded with your phone without any assistance from your home computer.
    and their computers. sorry, but i hate apple with a passion.

bad info. Macs are uber upgradable. Ipads etc. are useless to me but the computers (laptops, desktops) are so flexible its insane. for my mac tower, the side comes off with the pull of a lever and I can hot swap hard drives! (into any one of 4 bays......)

but yeah, the whole iPad thing is really annoying.

and I have an Android phone. works brilliantly
  • Back on Topic, Shar, any closer to choosing your palm weapon? (and don't let anyone sell you anything made by Palm )
  • She got the G3 . . . Fuck you, Steve Jobs . . .
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    Basically...the newest iphone and samsung galaxy have about the same battery life (up to about 2 days with moderate use...about a day with constant use).

Charged my phone up to 4pm yesterday, didn't use that much and it was turn off until 7am this morning. Battery was dead by 8am.
  • pretty sure most smart phone battery life sucks. i just charge mine over night every day. it's better for the lithium ion batteries to not completely lose their charge anyway.