Welcome to the world Dewey, Cheatem and Howe

2»

Comments

• Same family of birds, though, just different colours . . . and leagues.
  • Today they left the nest. Just happened to be outside.

IMGP3682.jpg

IMGP3686.jpg

IMGP3691.jpg

IMGP3692.jpg
  • So, do you leave the nest now for a bit just in case they need to go back home if they get stressed out or something? Or, once they leave the nest are they just out on their own forever? I have no clue. I must be getting old as I'm finding birds kind of interesting these days.
  • Going to leave it for a few days, but I don't think they come back.

The one in the picture was having trouble flying and I was going to put it back, but the parent returned with some food and he flew a short distance.
  • I think that was a smart choice to not touch it Hobbes. Nature is always such a finicky beast, sometimes the mere smell of human on a baby can be enough for a parent to abandon it.

You can be proud in having documented this experience and in knowing that your home hosted another family growing up!
  • I checked and Robin's have no sense of smell.
  • I have always read that you do NOT get involved with young birds, as the parents will abandon them after human contact. Not sure if there is truth to it, but it would seem the prudent thing to do. Pitch the nest after a few days, and take back your property rights. Well, until the next batch come along. Also, don't hang planters so close to the house in future.
  • Milo wrote: »
    I have always read that you do NOT get involved with young birds, as the parents will abandon them after human contact. .

Not true.

Fact or Fiction?: Birds (and Other Critters) Abandon Their Young at the Slightest Human Touch: Scientific American
  • As I said in my post, not sure . . . thank you for the edification.
  • great job letting nature take its course on your property ron

alot of people would have just tossed the nest and not given a shit about the birds

nh and gg sir

wp
  • Hobbes wrote: »

Man this place is just a wealth of good info.

Too bad that doesn't include poker info.;)