Microsoft Windows 8 tablet announced...

Comments

• Doing a job at Yorkdale mall and there's a new Microsoft retail store opening in the fall. They need a store for their products. Modeling after apple!
  • What are you doing at Yorkdale? My best friend is running the plumbing for the renos.
  • Milo wrote: »
    What are you doing at Yorkdale? My best friend is running the plumbing for the renos.
    We are doing the wiring of the controls system for Johnson controls.
  • Buddy is the Foreman for Bering Mechanical.
  • I'm thinking of taking advantage of this deal. $600ish

I think its the same as this one? 1200ish

But it only has 2 GB of ram, I can't find any prices on an upgrade but seem it can be ungraded to 4GB

No reason to wait for win 8 can just upgrade after?

Not worried about storage since it has wireless.

???
  • better off getting an ipad imo
  • costanza wrote: »
    better off getting an ipad imo
    omg does it run windows also?
  • costanza wrote: »
    better off getting an ipad imo

For what? Ok for what it does, but falls far far behind in the business world..
    Also how does Stars and the rest of the poker world work on an Ipad?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Also how does Stars and the rest of the poker world work on an Ipad?

Really good in Australia
  • Seems to be the one,

Kinda a smoking deal if I didn't miss any specs. Same tablet only with half the storage space but 500 bux cheaper if you buy 30 dollar ram separately?

4GB, 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for ASUS Eee Slate EP121 Laptop/Notebook, CT1900113 from Crucial.com

Crucial 4GB, 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 CT51264BC1339 - Price Comparison - Canada - PC Memory
  • darbday wrote: »
    I'm thinking of taking advantage of this deal. $600ish

just in case, note it's refurbished.
  • thx. yes ive bought lots of refurbished stuff from them...has the same warranties if you wanted to pay for them.
  • Tablets and Ipads just became obsolete

https://vimeo.com/46304267

same with tv's, computers, wallets, cell phones, pretty much anything else I can think of.
  • Because of a promotional video? Really?!? You think this stuff is ready to go any time soon?
  • You know what I think about time ;)

But no I won't argue we are there or 'near' there, but I'm sure we all agree its coming.

It just confirmed more another thought that we aren't capable of understanding how fast technology is changing.
  • My outdated thinking was updated by a friend the other day who told me to wait for the "MS Surface" which is allegedly 6 mo away. I have no idea what he's talking about, thus discuss this and inform me.
  • My outdated thinking was updated by a friend the other day who told me to wait for the "MS Surface" which is allegedly 6 mo away. I have no idea what he's talking about, thus discuss this and inform me.
    watch the video link a few posts back and consider yourself informed :o

I wouldn't know about it, we need a 10 year one to teach us about all the new technology.
    The early details are in the op..
    darbday wrote: »
    watch the video link a few posts back and consider yourself informed :o

I wouldn't know about it, we need a 10 year one to teach us about all the new technology.

Naw, 10 yr ones only know games, hardly what really drives technology.

Ask nicely and I'll inform...:)

By the way, tablets suggested above should have no problem running Win8 however not sure why one would need it..

And virtual reality of that magnitude? pshaw... decades or centuries away if it's even possible..

And virtual reality of that magnitude? pshaw... decades or centuries away if it's even possible..
    im thinkin 2 or 3 years but I guess we'll 'see' hahaha

Still not convinced we don't already have them on.

Anyways did you catch my links a few posts back? if I matched the specs right thats a killer deal to by the 2gb RAM tablet and just upgrade the RAM

I'm not worried about windows eight but I need an ereader that reads websites and random documents/plays video.
    im thinkin 2 or 3 years but I guess we'll 'see' hahaha

Still not convinced we don't already have them on.

Anyways did you catch my links a few posts back? if I matched the specs right thats a killer deal to by the 2gb RAM tablet and just upgrade the RAM
    But aren't those just used? Not so hot imo..
    darbday wrote: »
    I'm not worried about windows eight but I need an ereader that reads websites and random documents/plays video.
    See again, you are looking at an entertainment device rather than a business device...
    The Microsoft tablet hopefully should cover all bases, but we will see.

FYI, here are some more links with more up to date info.

Is Surface Microsoft’s confession that Windows 8 isn’t really cut out for tablets? | Ars Technica

http://mashable.com/2012/08/02/business-microsoft-surface-tablet/

Microsoft Surface Tablet: Your Next Windows PC? | PCWorld

They are not even close to the same... The $1200. one is 64 bit Windows Pro and has twice the ram and twice the HD space... Where did you see you could upgrade the ram in the $600. one with those ram specs?
    They are not even close to the same... The $1200. one is 64 bit Windows Pro and has twice the ram and twice the HD space... Where did you see you could upgrade the ram in the $600. one with those ram specs?
    I posted the ram link below the other links....the thing is I don't need the storage space because I can just transfer files wirelessly.

Is one only 32bit windows? Whats that about...or is that the space.
    I posted the ram link below the other links....the thing is I don't need the storage space because I can just transfer files wirelessly.

Is one only 32bit windows? Whats that about...or is that the space.

The way I read it the 600 one can't be upgraded so the ram link is irrelevant. 32 bit vs 64 bit O/S.
    The way I read it the 600 one can't be upgraded so the ram link is irrelevant. 32 bit vs 64 bit O/S.
    Were did you get that, or did i give you the impression you mean

I know its just one person, but I saw a video link of someone doing it, but I'm not the best with this stuff (specs) so maybe I'm missing something...

Thread
    Ep121 hard drive and memory upgrade:
    Just upgraded my 32/2 model with an Intel 80GB SSD and a 4GB memory module. Works great. Anybody else try it?
    Dealing with 32 vs 64 is something I've never thought about or read. Is the RAM the only issue with running 64 or do I have to check the CPU. If the RAM upgrade is viable will it run the 64 version?

The gross thing is I don't need performance, I need a windows ereader (no keyboard) that I can read websites with and books.
    Dealing with 32 vs 64 is something I've never thought about or read. Is the RAM the only issue with running 64 or do I have to check the CPU. If the RAM upgrade is viable will it run the 64 version?

First of all the processor has to have the ability to run 64 bit which these do and the O/S has to be 64 bit which the $600. one isn't. The ram upgrade has nothing to do with it.

As for upgrades, looks like it wasn't really intended to be upgraded so you may need a bit of technical skills (perhaps some soldering) to do it. There is only 1 ram slot so you will need to replace the existing 2gb module with a 4gb. The 2gb becomes redundant.
    Windows 7 runs ok in 2gb as long as you don't run to many applications or anything too heavy... Should be fine as an ereader, even a bit overkill.
  • all I know is I have 50 Aug $30 calls in Microsoft so I hope it takes off in the next couple of weeks.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    all I know is I have 50 Aug $30 calls in Microsoft so I hope it takes off in the next couple of weeks.

ewww. :-[

As for upgrades, looks like it wasn't really intended to be upgraded so you may need a bit of technical skills (perhaps some soldering) to do it. There is only 1 ram slot so you will need to replace the existing 2gb module with a 4gb. The 2gb becomes redundant.
    This video is on upgrading the HD, I can't tell if its the same model but in the comments he says he upgraded the RAM no issue. If I have to solder, well what ever I know people I guess...:(

Asus Eee Slate Upgrading HDD - YouTube

Windows 7 runs ok in 2gb as long as you don't run to many applications or anything too heavy... Should be fine as an ereader, even a bit overkill.
    Ya its overkill, took me a bit before I realized my problem, I didn't understand this android thing...sometimes I have problems with the simple things haha.

I need a windows os because I need to read a lot of homemade type docs like poker books and websites. When you read that stuff on an ereader you can't zoom properly etc.

I'm looking forward to the touch screen but also the new pen. I notice I can't brainstorm properly without a pen and paper. I think its because typing and writing are different parts of the brain.

I'm also thinking about how the programs like the Rosetta stone would be touch now, that prob helps learning process.

But whatever my laptop HD died too and its 5 years old so I'll just go with this and see if I'm down with it.

Thx Comp.
    ....the thing is I don't need the storage space because I can just transfer files wirelessly.

Ahhh the tablet gods have brainwashed you with precision >:D
  • SuperNed . . . you should sign up for Question Week, if you haven't already . . .