Microsoft Windows 8 tablet announced...

Now, could this significantly change the tablet world...? Playing with Windows 8 for the last couple of weeks and this could be interesting...

Microsoft unveils Surface tablet

Overall impression of Windows 8 is mixed from my perspective... Very smooth operating system, very good performance on moderate hardware.. Very different "look" from 7 however... Takes some getting used to..

Likely early to mid October release to market..

Comments

• I'm a total newb to this portable world. I've never even owned a laptop.

How is a tablet different from an Ipad? Just different OS? On a recent trip to BC, my friend had an Ipad and I thought it was pretty cool. Not sure (haven't done any research) in terms of compatibility with my PC based world though.
  • queue Ned in

• Amazed really that the playbook has not been canceled yet.
  • moose wrote: »
    Amazed really that the playbook has not been canceled yet.

They've already axed the 16 GB Playbook.

The official party line is RIM "is still committed to the tablet market". We'll see. If BB10 doesn't start earning RIM back market share (I personally think it's too late and think someone will gooble them up for their enterprise security patents), they're sunk in the water. They sat on their heels for way too long and thought that BBM and their enterprise business would keep them afloat. In doing so, they denied the consumer base what they wanted- sexy phones. They held onto physical keyboards too long, released a shitty touch interface shoehorned over their already aging OS and got blindsided by Apple and iPhone. Now they're playing catch up in a market they once dominated...
  • I can't believe the MS tablet has a trackpad! Who the F wants a trackpad on a touchscreen device?!?

Let's see if they can pull this off. I actually have use for a good Windows based tablet for work.
  • holychow wrote: »
    Let's see if they can pull this off. I actually have use for a good Windows based tablet for work.

This for sure, I could see a real use for this in the business market, especially at a good price point and with the armour glass it is supposed to come with...
  • Gorilla Glass, lets use the proper trademark, comp. After all, we'll be paying for it.
  • How is a tablet different from an Ipad? Just different OS? On a recent trip to BC, my friend had an Ipad and I thought it was pretty cool. Not sure (haven't done any research) in terms of compatibility with my PC based world though.
    And that is the Apple achilles heel... When approx 95% of the BUSINESS world uses a Windows O/S with it's inherent apps the Ipad/Iphone will never be more than a communication/game device...

Done right a windows based tablet would rock... Now whether or not this one can or not remains to be seen.
  • Do they have any touch screen that will repel epoxy infused industrial oil based enamel barn paint? I'm just adding that angrily because I'm still picking this shit off my arms 8 hrs. later.
  • Do they have any touch screen that will repel epoxy infused industrial oil based enamel barn paint?
    If we knew what that was perhaps we could offer advice...;)
  • moose wrote: »
    Amazed really that the playbook has not been canceled yet.

I really like the size of the playbook but a windows based tablet of the same size with full sized USB ports and perhaps an HDMI port, made very durable at $500. or less would be the cats meow... In the business market it has to be able to read/edit/create word docs like the playbook. While the playbook is ok at that, it needs more. We need to be able access files elsewhere on the network from the tablet not just access files on the tablet from other windows based devices ala Playbook.
  • It looks interesting, especially for business, but it is not a good sign when they refuse to talk about battery life (meaning it probably can't compete in that area with the iPad). And the Pro model which will run existing Windows apps will not be cheap (my guess is $999 and up) and won't be out until next year sometime (3 months after Win8 launch)

The add-on keyboard options are definitely intriguing.

Wish companies wouldn't announce things so early, they think they are building hype but usually "the Internet" just picks apart the product (real or imagined) in the months leading up to launch. And God forbid if you miss your launch date, then you are truly screwed (see RIM).
  • BrennerM wrote: »
    but it is not a good sign when they refuse to talk about battery life (meaning it probably can't compete in that area with the iPad). And the Pro model which will run existing Windows apps will not be cheap (my guess is $999 and up) and won't be out until next year sometime (3 months after Win8 launch)
    Supposedly it will run Windows 8 and apps right off the bat.... Battery life and price is purely speculation... And I sure don't see the Ipad as having anything special on battery life, especially if used for meaningfull purposes... Although I don't have one, lots of friends and relatives do..... for entertainment purposes that is... :)
    The issue could come down to... what do you want it to do..?

Good article here..
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/3095842/microsoft-surface-tablet-battery-life
  • compuease wrote: »
    I really like the size of the playbook but a windows based tablet of the same size with full sized USB ports and perhaps an HDMI port, made very durable at $500. or less would be the cats meow... In the business market it has to be able to read/edit/create word docs like the playbook. While the playbook is ok at that, it needs more. We need to be able access files elsewhere on the network from the tablet not just access files on the tablet from other windows based devices ala Playbook.

Yeah the 10.6 in Windows pad kills it for me. I carry my playbook everywhere and use it more than any other internet device I own because it fits in my pocket. Creating word docs on a playbook is a waste of time, but they do need to add the ability to edit photos w/o an addon app. Also needs silverlight, which obv the windows pad will have.

+1 file access.
  • I'm certain MS will leverage their Office Live cloud-based suite. The question is how they charge for it. A monthly fee isn't a smart offering for small businesses.

Creating Word documents on a tablet isn't fun, more likely would be used to read and edit them.

File access is so important. Nobody's come up with a file browser for the Playbook?!?

HTML5 is starting to eclipse both Silverlight and Flash.
  • oh tablets...the bigger, more expensive version of the smartphone that doesn't let you make telephone calls.
  • But you can watch videos without going blind.

There is now a native playbook file manager app and there is also a free app addon you can dl. Both have their features and I switch back and forth depending on what I am doing.
  • Since Microsoft had such success with the Zune, why would they not make a tablet too?

JohnnieH=Applefanboy
  • The fact that the MStab will run an actual operating system, does this mean it won't be app-based applications (read: Pokerstars!!!)?

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    The fact that the MStab will run an actual operating system, does this mean it won't be app-based applications (read: Pokerstars!!!)?

Mark

if that's true i will buy one.
  • The initial Surface will be an ARM-based processor and will only run apps written for the Metro UI. The later Surface "Pro" will be Intel-based and will run any Windows software, which would include PokerStars. Note that the Pro version will very likely be more expensive than the non-Pro version.
    Playing with Windows 8 for the last couple of weeks ....

Overall impression of Windows 8 is mixed from my perspective... Very smooth operating system, very good performance on moderate hardware.. Very different "look" from 7 however... Takes some getting used to..
    Do you think it's worth waiting for a Windows 8 PC and W8-compatible poker software instead of buying a new system now?
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Do you think it's worth waiting for a Windows 8 PC and W8-compatible poker software instead of buying a new system now?

my opinion..... no... I can't think of any software that runs on W7 now that wouldn't run on Win 8... win8 = meh...

Want me to quote you on a real gaming system? :)
  • Another fine MS Product. :D

Want me to quote you on a real gaming system? :)

Maybe :)
  • literation wrote: »
    Maybe :)

How much do you want to spend?
    How much do you want to spend?

Uh I gotta ask, can it be a gaming laptop?
  • literation wrote: »
    Uh I gotta ask, can it be a gaming laptop?

A laptop could never be a real gaming machine.. sorry... Poker doesn't count as gaming..
    A laptop could never be a real gaming machine.. sorry... Poker doesn't count as gaming..

Oh well no room for a pc anymore in this config, stupid house ;)