The poor screwed again by the Gov

2»

Comments

• You know, doing it yourself would get you more things for yourself, even if you DIDN'T find more refund than the H&R Block-head. You probably pay $50-100 for them to do it, and it probably takes him 10 minutes tops to knock it out.
  • Ya but i dont care about the H&R block fees because if anything is messed up, they are responsible for it

Id rather pay to have it done for me, have piece of mind knowing its right, get cash instantly, and not worry about it for a year

maybe im young and naive or maybe just straight up lazy, but I like my line of getting H&R block doing it.... seems +EV long term imo
  • costanza wrote: »
    Ya but i dont care about the H&R block fees because if anything is messed up, they are responsible for it

wrong... he would only be responsible for the penalties that his error cost you... Any taxes are still on you, and if you don't give him the right info it's still on you..
  • compuease wrote: »
    wrong... he would only be responsible for the penalties that his error cost you... Any taxes are still on you, and if you don't give him the right info it's still on you..

hmm.. ive never had a problem.... :-\
  • costanza wrote: »
    Ya but i dont care about the H&R block fees because if anything is messed up, they are responsible for it
    Wrong . . . as has been mentioned.
    Id rather pay to have it done for me, have piece of mind knowing its right, get cash instantly, and not worry about it for a year
    Fair enough . . .
    maybe im young and naive or maybe just straight up lazy, but I like my line of getting H&R block doing it.... seems +EV long term imo
    Not really +ev as it costs you money without fully indemnifying you from penalty.
    costanza wrote: »
    hmm.. ive never had a problem.... :-\
    Correction . . . you haven't had a problem . . . yet.

Now, you may never have an issue with paying someone else to do your paperwork for you, and that is fine, so long as you truly understand your liability when they inevitably do fuck up. Not to mention never being certain that you are getting all you are entitled to receive back. It's not like they are working on a comission basis, right? Why do I do my own taxes? Because I have a vested interest in the outcome.
  • compuease wrote: »
    lol, no, but I've read about those things.... I'm somewhere in the 50%..:p

and I used Turbo tax...

I used Turbo tax for the past 6 years and switched this year to Studio Tax...a free canadian software download (they ask for donations)....had great reviews. I'd suggest trying this next year...I loved it. Worst case scenario download it first and run through your taxes with it before buying Turbo tax and I'm pretty sure you won't bother buying Turbo. I always had to buy the expensive version of Turbo tax as I had investment income etc...and it just isn't worth it once I tried Studio Tax.
  • I used H&R Block years ago...I had investment income, rental property income etc etc. The one year they billed me over $400 and I said never again.
    Call me weird but I actually look forward to doing my taxes (using software). Not sure if it's just the getting it out of the way thing or what....but I do look forward to it. I'm sick.
  • Never ever use H&R Block.

They are a huge rip off.
  • Never ever use H&R Block.

They are a huge rip off.

H&R Block claimed doing taxes after, hmm, August, sorry can't remember exactly makes it less likely to be audited. Just sayin.
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    I used H&R Block years ago...I had investment income, rental property income etc etc. The one year they billed me over $400 and I said never again.
    Call me weird but I actually look forward to doing my taxes (using software). Not sure if it's just the getting it out of the way thing or what....but I do look forward to it. I'm sick.

Naaahh . . . if you're like me, you love the feeling that in some small way, you are screwing the government out of money. It isn't rational, but there it is . . .
  • im just glad that I can file this week and get my money

I had it written in the calendar, but have been really busy the past couple months so i just never got around to it and it slipped my mind

with the money i get this week, ill be able to afford buying more BAP's for scoop i wanna get action on :)

:D
  • Milo wrote: »
    I used a #2 pencil and my brains. Taxes aren't hard to figure out. It's making sure the government doesn't look too closely at my "dependents" that is the chore.

Did your neighbours Fred and Barney get a good return too?